GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Decent camera for Autocross / track

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I feel like it would be beneficial to start recording autocross runs (and track soon).

Usually the type to research endlessly and end up buying the "best" even though I probably don't need the capabilities.

I have researched some and obviously the GoPro 9 black is the best. But do I really need that?

The 8 is $100 cheaper with marginally less battery life, stabilization etc

Then there the Yi, Apeman and a few others.

What do you guys use and what are some pros and cons? What feature do you wish your camera had? Is it worth spending more for the GoPro or something like the Apeman A100s is good enough?

Also, do you prefer putting it on fender, headrest, helmet?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I was talking to jay about this the other day

I do t want to do it cuz it’s the cheap way out. But I might just mount a cell phone mount and record with my phone 😂

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
GoPro's are nice for the fast sample rate GPS. Too much hypersmooth stabilization is actually a negative, makes it hard to tell what rotation of the car is.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I was recently in the same position and bought a used Hero 5 Black for cheap. It records in 2.7k at 60fps which is plenty for me. I have a few different mounts. Suction cup to the windshield or roof produces really smooth video, however I usually have it attached to my helmet for a POV style shot.

The GPS function is cool but I find it rarely syncs up to the video correctly so I don’t find myself using it often.

Some examples:

Roof cam:

Helmet cam:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
GoPro's are nice for the fast sample rate GPS. Too much hypersmooth stabilization is actually a negative, makes it hard to tell what rotation of the car is.
Didn't even think about this. Can you turn down/off the image stabilization on the GoPro?

I was recently in the same position and bought a used Hero 5 Black for cheap. It records in 2.7k at 60fps which is plenty for me. I have a few different mounts. Suction cup to the windshield or roof produces really smooth video, however I usually have it attached to my helmet for a POV style shot.

The GPS function is cool but I find it rarely syncs up to the video correctly so I don’t find myself using it often.

Some examples:

Roof cam:

Helmet cam:
This looks great. Can't imagine needing anything better than this.
How do you get the autocross track to show up?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Didn't even think about this. Can you turn down/off the image stabilization on the GoPro?

Yes, image stabilization is adjustable. Sadly there is no option to run on roll and pitch stabilization and turn off yaw, which would be the best possible stabilization for automotive use imo.

I do have to do some sync of gps to video but it comes out well once you get it right.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

For that video, I imported the video file to RaceRender 3 (free version) and added the track/speedometer/g-force overlays. RaceRender automatically recognizes and sync's the GoPro's GPS data which is quite nice. Only downside of the free version is you have to have the logo and videos can't exceed 3m length, which shouldn't be an issue for autocross anyway.

The other option is to add the GPS overlays using the GoPro Quik app. I don't think I have any Youtube videos showing that, but it generally works pretty well too.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
great idea, wish I had one a few weeks ago to figure out why the DNFs.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I also have an older GoPro5 Black and happy with it. I use Racechrono with it-- you can import the video file with the GPS info embedded like others have mentioned. Everything is automatically synced up perfect, and you can render the overlaid video right in the app. Used Race Render in the past but I'm using this now because it's just a lot easier/faster process. You can also log / display OBD engine data and get that in the overlay too if you'd like. Works well for autocross too, easy to set Start/End points.

I just put it right behind/beside the rear view mirror because it's easy access

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Looks like GoPro is the industry standard and has a lot of cool features like the GPS data that a lot of apps can embed directly.

Now I just have to find a deal on one. Seems like they don't depreciate much.

7 black are going for $180 or so used. That's crazy. Might as well get a new 8

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Looks like GoPro is the industry standard and has a lot of cool features like the GPS data that a lot of apps can embed directly.

Now I just have to find a deal on one. Seems like they don't depreciate much.

7 black are going for $180 or so used. That's crazy. Might as well get a new 8
kids are gonna be over today, gonna drop hints. hopefully i get one for xmas

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
kids are gonna be over today, gonna drop hints. hopefully i get one for xmas

There you go. For father's day, mine got me a personalized kids book with us in it which is nice.

But just remembered that my sister got me a $200 Amazon card for bday. Score!

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Cross-post from mini's thread because it seems like folks found this useful over there:

"
I use a hero 8 black. My settings are EV -1.5 2.7k and 60fps. I run with stabilization completely off. Someone needs to bother gopro to give us a setting for in car stabilization that works correctly. I do software stabilization using 'translation' algorithm in free davinci resolve. These are my results: "

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Cross-post from mini's thread because it seems like folks found this useful over there:

"
I use a hero 8 black. My settings are EV -1.5 2.7k and 60fps. I run with stabilization completely off. Someone needs to bother gopro to give us a setting for in car stabilization that works correctly. I do software stabilization using 'translation' algorithm in free davinci resolve. These are my results: "

Looks really good. Found one used one for a good deal. Hoping it's not a scam or I'm getting robbed. We'll see.

Tangent - at first was shocked at how good that GTI sounded and realized that was the s2000 😂

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Looks really good. Found one used one for a good deal. Hoping it's not a scam or I'm getting robbed. We'll see.

Tangent - at first was shocked at how good that GTI sounded and realized that was the s2000 😂
Someone else had the same reaction in Mini's thread. Yah it's pure vacuum cleaner noises unfortunately