Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Found this on YouTube

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I mostly agree with the conclusions in the 'dos and dont' video. However, I think you are likely going to want to run some sort of stabilization. I made a short sample to show the difference between stabilization completely off on the hero 8 black and software stabilization I use in resolve. Eventually I want to tune the recipe a bit as, while it makes the video way more watchable, some information about what the car is doing visually is definitely lost.

In this video the camera is rigidly mounted to the passenger seat and the car is really softly sprung on stock GTi springs and dampers. So I feel like it is nearly best case for stabilization off.

And both of the above is way better than the in-camera stabilization. Sometimes I accidently turn it on and it makes me really sad, example below:

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I mostly agree with the conclusions in the 'dos and dont' video. However, I think you are likely going to want to run some sort of stabilization. I made a short sample to show the difference between stabilization completely off on the hero 8 black and software stabilization I use in resolve. Eventually I want to tune the recipe a bit as, while it makes the video way more watchable, some information about what the car is doing visually is definitely lost.

In this video the camera is rigidly mounted to the passenger seat and the car is really softly sprung on stock GTi springs and dampers. So I feel like it is nearly best case for stabilization off.

And both of the above is way better than the in-camera stabilization. Sometimes I accidently turn it on and it makes me really sad, example below:

The first one made me dizzy. So that's a no. With resolve, our looks great, but can't say I see a difference with the in camera stabilization other than it feels like the camera is turning when you turn if that makes sense as if it's loose on the mount. Not sure if that IS the difference

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
The first one made me dizzy. So that's a no. With resolve, our looks great, but can't say I see a difference with the in camera stabilization other than it feels like the camera is turning when you turn if that makes sense as if it's loose on the mount. Not sure if that IS the difference

Yep. Exactly what you said about as if the camera was loose on the mount. The aggressive panning effect as the camera attempts to stabilize the horizon instead of stabilizing the interior of the car.

I definitely prefer post processing (vs. GoPro software solution) in general because it preserves the source -- however, it does take quite a bit of additional time and computing power. A 20 minute clip can take over 20 minutes to stabilize on what is the fastest commercial CPU available. That being said, if GoPro offered something similar to the software solution I would turn it on to save the time.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Yep. Exactly what you said about as if the camera was loose on the mount. The aggressive panning effect as the camera attempts to stabilize the horizon instead of stabilizing the interior of the car.

I definitely prefer post processing (vs. GoPro software solution) in general because it preserves the source -- however, it does take quite a bit of additional time and computing power. A 20 minute clip can take over 20 minutes to stabilize on what is the fastest commercial CPU available. That being said, if GoPro offered something similar to the software solution I would turn it on to save the time.
There is a GoPro software called ReelSteady that uses the accelerometer data off the camera but does it all in postprocessing. I haven't tried it yet, doesn't seem to have many options for severity/directions to stabilize sadly.

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
For an example of a cheap setup:

Here's a used GoPro Hero Silver 3+ (I think) I got for $40 on a Chasecam Cruisecam headrest mount I got for $20. With a $20? bluetooth BAFX OBD2 adapter for throttle/rpm input and Qstarz BT-Q818XT GPS unit I got for $60?. Running TrackAddict free edition on an Android phone which transfers and synchs with RaceRender software on Windows. Besides the camera itself, you really want to get a good mount setup, IMO (better than mine). I also have a hard-wired dashcam with more stable video, but it can't be controlled by TrackAddict so I've stuck with the GoPro for now.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
For an example of a cheap setup:

Here's a used GoPro Hero Silver 3+ (I think) I got for $40 on a Chasecam headrest mount I got for $20. With a $20? bluetooth BAFX OBD2 adapter for throttle/rpm input and Qstarz BT818? GPS unit I got for $60?. Running TrackAddict free edition on an Android phone which transfers and synchs with RaceRender software on Windows. Besides the camera itself, you really want to get a good mount setup, IMO (better than mine). I also have a hard-wired dashcam with more stable video, but it can't be controlled by TrackAddict so I've stuck with the GoPro for now.

You kind of answered my next question. What mount to get?

So that Chasecam mount is better than the GoPro ones?

Did you get the gps module because the 3 doesn't have built in gps? Won't need that for an 8?

For the throttle data etc, just have your phone in the car and everything syncs up in post processing using racerender or resolve

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
You kind of answered my next question. What mount to get?

So that Chasecam mount is better than the GoPro ones?
I'm just trying to provide an example of a cheap setup as a data point. The ChaseCam CruiseCam mount I have is not that stable; being attached to the passenger seat headrest, the seat shakes enough that it's a bit jittery. I already had it, and I like the viewpoint so I can see my hand movements and the car's dash/info display, so I kept it. I'd go a different route, mounted more firmly to something non-movable, if I were to start over. I haven't used any GoPro mounts.

Did you get the gps module because the 3 doesn't have built in gps? Won't need that for an 8?

For the throttle data etc, just have your phone in the car and everything syncs up in post processing using racerender or resolve

This is a TrackAddict info page that I got various info from, including what GoPro and GPS units TrackAddict can control. It also has some suction mount recommendations:
https://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html

The GoPro Hero 3+ Silver that I have does not have GPS built in. Even if some GoPros do have GPS, is it a fast enough sample rate for motorsports? can TrackAddict (or your software/app of choice) control it? These are the things you want to find out.

You do have to have some sort of OBD2 port interface to read the throttle and RPM data. This is the $20 one I use: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS/

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm just trying to provide an example of a cheap setup as a data point. The ChaseCam CruiseCam mount I have is not that stable; being attached to the passenger seat headrest, the seat shakes enough that it's a bit jittery. I already had it, and I like the viewpoint so I can see my hand movements and the car's dash/info display, so I kept it. I'd go a different route, mounted more firmly to something non-movable, if I were to start over. I haven't used any GoPro mounts.

This is a TrackAddict info page that I got various info from, including what GoPro and GPS units TrackAddict can control. It also has some suction mount recommendations:
https://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html

The GoPro Hero 3+ Silver that I have does not have GPS built in. Even if some GoPros do have GPS, is it a fast enough sample rate for motorsports? can TrackAddict (or your software/app of choice) control it? These are the things you want to find out.

You do have to have some sort of OBD2 port interface to read the throttle and RPM data. This is the $20 one I use: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS/

I have that same obd module, so good there.
Not sure what the refresh rate for the gps sensor is.
What kind of mount would you go with then?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

I just started playing around with Davinci Resolve, but can’t you change the stabilization settings to not use panning when stabilizing?

I can say from experience, for the love of god don’t mount a GoPro to the passenger headrest using a helmet cam strap. I had so much vibration I would’ve needed to put an epilepsy warning on the video had I posted it. Davinci Resolve helped stabilized it a lot to where it’s watchable, but even on the simplest setting my laptop sounded like a jet engine and took awhile to process it.

I personally let the GoPro built in stabilization on my Hero 5 Black do it’s thing and generally don’t modify in post process. I agree it makes it look smoother/slower, but I prefer that for viewing pleasure.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Can you use OBDeleven of Cobb AP for data points?

Best option for combining video/gps/data from different sources is Racerender, but it is tedious to get everything lined up perfectly. If you're just going to make a single overlay video run from an entire event, not a big deal, but if you wanted to look at multiple runs, all with data overlay it gets old fast.

Having an app that is the hub for all things data makes it much easier in that regard. My favorite is RaceChrono. It can trigger a supported camera with BLE, and will pull in data from an external gps and/or OBD dongle and save it all into 1 data file. From within the app, you can import the video and review data real time and export overlaid video. It also supports defining your own OBD PIDs if you want to log/see things beyond the basics (requires a little know-how but not too hard).

A variety apps can do these sort of things, but I've found RC to be the best/most complete.

There's easier options like Garmin catalyst but you pay for it.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Best option for combining video/gps/data from different sources is Racerender, but it is tedious to get everything lined up perfectly. If you're just going to make a single overlay video run from an entire event, not a big deal, but if you wanted to look at multiple runs, all with data overlay it gets old fast.

Having an app that is the hub for all things data makes it much easier in that regard. My favorite is RaceChrono. It can trigger a supported camera with BLE, and will pull in data from an external gps and/or OBD dongle and save it all into 1 data file. From within the app, you can import the video and review data real time and export overlaid video. It also supports defining your own OBD PIDs if you want to log/see things beyond the basics (requires a little know-how but not too hard).

A variety apps can do these sort of things, but I've found RC to be the best/most complete.

There's easier options like Garmin catalyst but you pay for it.

Some good info. I like simple and seamless.

Looks like Race Chrono is the way to go

I think you're the 2nd person to mention the tackform.
Little pricey, but must be good

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I think I’ll start with using Dashware because it’s free and pulling GPS data from my dashcam. I’m looking at a DJI Osmo Action for a camera.