GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cost for cleaning intake valves?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
They're DI engines, buildup is an inherent side effect of the design. Thats why he's researching it

signkutter

Ready to race!
Any particular reason for researching this subject? Are you running into carbon buildup issues?

As Wolfgang stated...DI engine. I am at 23k miles and I have read that at about 30k to 35k these cars lose a tangible amount of performance due to carbon build-up on the intake valves. just planning ahead

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Per DAP it is $500 to $700. https://shopdap.com/vw-audi-fsi-tsi-carbon-buildup-on-intake-valves/

Here is a quote of starting at $695. https://store.034motorsport.com/ser...cleaning-service-direct-injected-engines.html

The BMW folks have been dealing with this for years. For them at dealer it is usually around $1,000 and independents $500. Should be similar for VW. When I get to that point I will be checking with folks that do BMW as they will have the walnut blaster. You can rent a walnut blaster for $200 and do it yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnMhNXXawjk

A number of DIY on this. I would prefer to use the walnut blaster but may just use brush and pics. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62797

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

He had the manifold pulled and it turned out to be a bad injector, but he never mentioned if the other cylinders had any buildup. I'll try to PM him.

Also, with a borescope you can pull the sparkplugs and look down the holes with a 90-degree mirror attachment. Just do it on a cold engine and use duct tape or a similar tape to make sure the mirror doesn't fall off. Not every intake valve set will be open and hanging down so you might need to hit the starter and see if the engine stops in a different position but you still should be able to see 2 or 3 cylinders enough to form an opinion even if it doesn't.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
He had the manifold pulled and it turned out to be a bad injector, but he never mentioned if the other cylinders had any buildup. I'll try to PM him.

Good idea. I'd be curious to hear what he has to say. I only remembered seeing the photos of the third cylinder posted a few weeks ago and had to go hunt down the thread. I really hope it's not as bad as the MKV, because that was annoying to deal with.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
People at 45-60k on these cars had there's looked at and they are spotless. This version is a lot better than the previous. Use top tier gas and look at them at around 80-100k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good idea. I'd be curious to hear what he has to say. I only remembered seeing the photos of the third cylinder posted a few weeks ago and had to go hunt down the thread. I really hope it's not as bad as the MKV, because that was annoying to deal with.

My bad. He DID follow up and I missed it.

Reply: "I thought I followed up in the thread. That picture I took was very deceiving. Once we got the intake off only a small amount of carbon was on the stem. There was nothing on any of the seats. Overall the valves were very clean. Didn't even have to walnut blast them. Just picked the small amount off the stem and that was it."

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
People at 45-60k on these cars had there's looked at and they are spotless. This version is a lot better than the previous. Use top tier gas and look at them at around 80-100k

My bad. He DID follow up and I missed it.

Reply: "I thought I followed up in the thread. That picture I took was very deceiving. Once we got the intake off only a small amount of carbon was on the stem. There was nothing on any of the seats. Overall the valves were very clean. Didn't even have to walnut blast them. Just picked the small amount off the stem and that was it."

All of this is great news.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
There was also just a post of someone hard braking and turning on a track and white smoke. This is when you need a catch can. It will only help on extreme tracking of the car. So if this is you get a catch can and it can help a little on the track otherwise just drive the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had a Stage 1 MKV before this car so I know how bad the problem was. I put up with it for about 40,000 miles. The only thing that helped was updating to the newer version higher-rated fuel regulator but that only helped hard starting.

Refresh my memory - do MK6's have the problem?

Zacr811

Ready to race!
shop here does it for 400 CAD...