GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover noises

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
So rather than continue to highjack the other thread I thought it seemed more appropriate to post separately.

Background: just installed Redshift Standard Comp coil overs with 8k front and 10k rear. I also installed a super pro front sway bar along with new bushings. The coil overs came with new adjustable endlinks.

I made sure to adjust the endlinks while the car was on the ground. Best I can tell the middle adjust had some play in between too long or too short so I locked them in that spot.

The ride is… unexpected.
I’m getting a crashing, thumping noise over the smallest of road imperfections. Both videos are with the dampers on hard. The noise is SIGNIFICANTLY worse on or anywhere towards soft. It’s as if I hit a giant pothole with the factory suspension doing 80.

Is this normal? -it can’t be right? It seems extreme. I expected the ride to be more harsh but not like this.
What is happening?

https://youtube.com/shorts/3JGj9XAU624?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/zuAQmIc9zjs?feature=share

Edit: in the video it very much sounds like a rattle. It is not. It is a hard thump

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Metal on metal camber plates will be more harsh and noisy. Do you have them set too low?

Last edited:

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Definitely rattle, not setting related. Checked everything over for looseness? Is noise from front/rear/left/right? Is coilover set new or used? Before install, did you push down each damper rod by hand and each one rebounded back up? Blown damper?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If preload was set appropriately, probably just the combination of camber plates and fully stiff dampers with 10k springs. That's pretty stiff.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Tried full soft in the way into work. Same~ still sounds like the damper is extending to hard/too fast or compressing too hard/fast.

Was a 1/2”~ drop max . I’m at 25.5” from ground to fender on 40 series 18s with hypergrams.

Kit is brand new from redshift. Everything appeared to be functional prior to install. -my experience is limited but they all seemed smooth. Front came pre assembled. 6k/8k max.

Searching around online overnight I fear that 8/10 might just be too stiff for street comfort at all. I probably should have done something closer to

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I'm still looking around and researching this morning and I'm finding I know less and less.
It would seem that a number of folks are saying a 5F/7R or 5/8 spring rate would be significantly better comfort wise.
There also seems to be some concern that there are not bump stops on the front dampers. Should there be? As far as I cant tell ( what do I know? ) it's just shock body, shock shaft, dust cover and the upper portion is just a hard metal end stop.

It might also be worth posting the dyno results I was sent. I'm getting some feedback that these chart/rates don't look quite right?
In that they have significantly more compression than rebound at all adjust points. But it's also not clear at what adjustment point these rates are for. This kit was meant to be Linear/digressive.
Maybe also the "knee" point is too early? Effectively making for almost zero travel.

I also assumed that since these came pre-assembled, or the front did anyways, that the ride height and preload was set already.
I did check preload last night and went hand tight on the spring adjuster then another full turn - about 1-2mm with the wrench.

I have to believe something just isn't right, that I've done something wrong. It's that or I just made a $1500 blunder, this is exactly how it's supposed to be and now I need to figure out how much it's going to cost me to change springs and possibly re-valve.

Attachments

• IMG_0829 (1).PNG
    IMG_0829 (1).PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 8716VW116fronts.png
    8716VW116fronts.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 42

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm still looking around and researching this morning and I'm finding I know less and less.
It would seem that a number of folks are saying a 5F/7R or 5/8 spring rate would be significantly better comfort wise.
There also seems to be some concern that there are not bump stops on the front dampers. Should there be? As far as I cant tell ( what do I know? ) it's just shock body, shock shaft, dust cover and the upper portion is just a hard metal end stop.

It might also be worth posting the dyno results I was sent. I'm getting some feedback that these chart/rates don't look quite right?
In that they have significantly more compression than rebound at all adjust points. But it's also not clear at what adjustment point these rates are for. This kit was meant to be Linear/digressive.
Maybe also the "knee" point is too early? Effectively making for almost zero travel.

I also assumed that since these came pre-assembled, or the front did anyways, that the ride height and preload was set already.
I did check preload last night and went hand tight on the spring adjuster then another full turn - about 1-2mm with the wrench.

I have to believe something just isn't right, that I've done something wrong. It's that or I just made a $1500 blunder, this is exactly how it's supposed to be and now I need to figure out how much it's going to cost me to change springs and possibly re-valve.
You absolutely need jaunce bumpers on both front and rear shock shafts and that is the likely issue here if you don't. Remember, those are actually springs that work with the system to give you a v. progressive end-rate to your travel. Based on your first description...that was my thought..."he doens't have the bumpers in there".

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
You absolutely need jaunce bumpers on both front and rear shock shafts and that is the likely issue here if you don't. Remember, those are actually springs that work with the system to give you a v. progressive end-rate to your travel. Based on your first description...that was my thought..."he doens't have the bumpers in there".
Well F.
I would have thought they would come with? I guess I'm taking these apart again to make super sure.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well F.
I would have thought they would come with? I guess I'm taking these apart again to make super sure.
Holy shit man, really not there? Maybe you are supposed to re-use your stockers/cut them? Contact them and get the info.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Holy shit man, really not there? Maybe you are supposed to re-use your stockers/cut them? Contact them and get the info.
They come pre-assembled just like you see on the site. I assumed this meant they were ready to roll. Nothing anywhere indicated that there were zero bump stops.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
It is. This can't right correct...right? Like something is WRONG.
I think checking in with the with Redshift on the existence of bump stops or not. Bump stops, give you that soft landing when you bottom out but you should not be bottoming out very often with springs that stiff. Stock springs are 175/230 and you have gone to 550/450 which I would expect to provide a horrible ride every time you run over even small stuff on the street especially if you have your dampers adjust hard. If this is a daily driver I would go with a much lower spring rate.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Got an email back. And they suggested lower spring rates, and then that maybe the Comp kits higher compression would be too much for softer springs.
Followed by a suggestion to send the whole kit back for the adjustments. This is all after I found out that the new (non-BC) kit adjuster doesn't clear the shock tower. And their suggestion was to send me washers/spacers to space the shock shaft down to get the clearance without cutting the shock tower.
I am sure shipping on these will absolutely insane. Shipping 60~lbs back to PA from Ohio :cautious:

I am highly annoyed. Not sure if I should be but I am. I now have the choice of a half solution or a complete un-install- re-install stock kit/Re-install Coilovers. This is my daily so just pulling them out and letting it sit for however long isn't an option. This suuucks.