GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I wasn't thinking of trying it, but I would run same G as what's there. It would be solinoid so 10/12?

oTurtlez

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
thanks, i got it working though. i've also found that the strength of the magnetss matter also. i was using rare-earth ones and they are really not needed. the field strength becomes too much and in-retracted position did not allow signal to de-activate..lets hope all this work helps save the thrust-bearings for a longgg-time..thanks again for pioneering this.

Can you show us what magnet you did use? It's hard to imagine a non neodymium magnet small and strong enough to work.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

kadaj

The mobile version for me is missing the "buy now" part of the interface. You have to click "full site" at the bottom (or use a computer) to see it. I dunno if that's what he meant.

Interesting, they work now. I wonder if the server was under maintenance or something.

Thanks!

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Can you show us what magnet you did use? It's hard to imagine a non neodymium magnet small and strong enough to work.

I had the whole assembly magnet-side fall off again, the glue basically a type of CA glue is not holding-up well. I think i need to use some good-old epoxy which has some flexibility/strength and give to it b/c of the sudden jostling of the solenoid retracting is not one of the strong points of CA glue holding up. Even with some of the return spring clipped to slow-it-down.

the magnet I used that ended up working (although it is kinda hit or miss) is still a rare-earth magnet underneath (bottom of stack of only 2 magnets in total). One piece of this which used to be available at amazon (Magcraft NSN0573 3/8-Inch by 1/8-Inch Rare Earth Disc Magnets) and where i had bought it BTW but seems Home Depot carries it too: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magcraf...-1-8-in-Disc-Magnet-30-Pack-NSN0573/204721269
and one old regular NON-rare earth magnet (round) stacked on top of the rare-earth one, from my fridge. i honestly don't know if this one is nyodimium..
the problem arose when I was trying to use the aforementioned rare-earth one with another 1-2 of the ones radio shack used to sell these. https://www.radioshack.com/products/rare-earth-super-magnets-1-8

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
^^^ I think using a rubber piece on the end to hold the magnet acts as a shock absorber when it retracts. There's also a little hole in the rubber that the end of the rod pushes into about 1mm to help it stay secured.

Clipping the return spring down a bit is a good idea to reduce resistance and help the thing extend into place when energized.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Subscribed. As of 12/20/2020 the Ledex solenoid spring kit is out of stock.

I purchased the hardware and other bits mentioned in this thread from Amazon and will have extra. I'll be able to put together 8 hardware kits with the following parts if anybody is interested:

1 pair x 3mm aluminum socket head allen bolts with aluminum lock nuts
1 round rocker switch
1 pair each 6mm and 8mm magnets

All for the price of $5 shipped within the continental US. Hope that doesn't break any rules about selling stuff. You'll still need the rest of the parts, but won't have to buy more than what you need.

send me a message if interested.

Otherwise, thanks to the OP and others who have been working through this!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Been slacking on this project... must have done 10 others in the meantime lol.
All I’ve made it to was collecting all the parts and getting the solenoid and snubber setup a little more completed looking.

1608486421926.jpeg

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
^^^ Just do it!!

I like how you haven't even mocked it up to test functionality and it's already completely slicked out.

I can't remember how many people have actually completed the whole thing so far besides me. Two? Three?

Mine's still going strong, after almost 10 months.

It looks like the spring kit is in stock again.

Last edited:

oTurtlez

I assembled everything but have yet to get a good solution for adhering the magnet to the solenoid shaft. The small plastic plug / stopper I'd found that fit a magnet perfectly didn't take to the epoxy, same with the rod itself.

Once I've got that part figured out it should be easy peasy.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I assembled everything but have yet to get a good solution for adhering the magnet to the solenoid shaft. The small plastic plug / stopper I'd found that fit a magnet perfectly didn't take to the epoxy, same with the rod itself.

Once I've got that part figured out it should be easy peasy.
You punched a small hole in the rubber stopper for pushing the the rod end in a bit (with glue)?

oTurtlez

You punched a small hole in the rubber stopper for pushing the the rod end in a bit (with glue)?
Wish I had a picture handy, but yep, rod into the stopper behind the magnet.

I need to try another adhesive that won't mind actually bonding to the shaft and rubber (looking at you JB weld...)

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Wish I had a picture handy, but yep, rod into the stopper behind the magnet.

I need to try another adhesive that won't mind actually bonding to the shaft and rubber (looking at you JB weld...)
I used 2 part epoxy and it's been good.

I also used the little clip on the end of the shaft so when it retracts it stops on that rather than pulling against the magnet mount.

Mines been good for quite a while. 🤘

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Thanks to the OP.

I ordered a sintered metal bracket instead of plastic from Shapeways. Solenoids from Tesco got here last week. Bracket and solenoid installed, didn't have time to finish wiring (another weekend). Getting the bracket screwed to the clutch bracket is an absolute PITA. Do not underestimate how awkward it is to work behind the pedals. I'm not a rookie mechanic by any stretch and this wasn't fun or easy. However, manually pushing the solenoid and starting the car with no clutch pedal pushed in is ALMOST worth it!!!