GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
On page 5 you said you updated your shapeways link with the new file.
Searching thread for shapeways and tinkercad, I cannot find it.

Any chance you have either link in your browser history. And could spare the time to re-share.
I think this is what shapeways sent me back when they fixed it. change filename extension to fixed.stl and check it out yourself with shapeways. but should be good.

Attachments

• fixed.zip
    33.5 KB · Views: 140

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I think this is what shapeways sent me back when they fixed it. change filename extension to fixed.stl and check it out yourself with shapeways. but should be good.

This looks right when I import it, thanks. I'm going to update post #1 to include it and probably also a more concise list of everything used.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
For the record.

Mine works ALMOST every single time.

If the car sits for an extended period, I do just have to press the back of the piston to "release" it. After that it works flawlessly for days until it sits again.

I didn't use non metallic screws to mount it (I tapped the bracket and used some bolts that I had laying around), and my piston might be retracting a tad bit further than it "should" based on the way I epoxied the magnets to the end. Either way though, it's a small price to pay.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
For the record.

If the car sits for an extended period, I do just have to press the back of the piston to "release" it. After that it works flawlessly for days until it sits again.

I didn't use non metallic screws to mount it (I tapped the bracket and used some bolts that I had laying around), and my piston might be retracting a tad bit further than it "should" based on the way I epoxied the magnets to the end. Either way though, it's a small price to pay.

try getting in there with a very fine paintbrush with some grease on the end. Push the plunger out and then give it a thin coat of the grease, with a little extra dab at the very end by the magnet. Should prevent sticking.

Also, post #1 updated with new mount links and other parts.

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R

Looks good. Many thanks.

Edit: I ordered 2. Will experiment with tapping the holes. I figure I will bork that once.
My rib cage is already hurting thinking about the install.

Last edited:

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Edit: I ordered 2. Will experiment with tapping the holes. I figure I will bork that once.
My rib cage is already hurting thinking about the install.

Tapping if worked fine for me. It was just somewhat brittle so it took a LOT to get it started and I'm sure it would strip relatively easily. Fortunately it doesn't require a lot of torque (and I could always switch to using nuts on the back of it did)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I do think you could get away with a print in plastic or something that could be done with a better than average consumer level printer.

I did steel just in case my measurements were off and it needed bending / modifying to make it work. Steel was cheap enough but it was a 3 week turnaround. Turned out, I got it right on the first try.

If you have quick access to a decent printer it's worth a try, I think.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
For the record.

You did the thing with the marker cap? Also, did you fab your own mount? I thought someone was trying that.

Also, pics! Do eeet.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
First post updated with new link.
Also, my final set up used 2 of the 6mm. It worked better one way of the two possible polarity orientations. I'm not sure I remember which.
I had the end piece pop-off, and i put everything back together and now can't rid of the "operated" first clutch message. But it does go away when i insert a screwdriver in the space between magnet that is retracted and the sensor. in essence it is either collapsing or diverting the magnetic field i think. very weird. 2nd message works fine during retracted phase and extended phase..will work on it more tomorrow, but was fine for a long while (month or so i forgot)..