GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Chevron was my go to for a little while until I found an e85 station. I don't trust shell except for long road trips where I have to.

Slick99

Ready to race!
hey guys, why the boost get lowered in winter, is it normal to not reach the target boost? i used to do 15-16psi sometime 17psi but nowadays since last month it hardly touch 13psi.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
hey guys, why the boost get lowered in winter, is it normal to not reach the target boost? i used to do 15-16psi sometime 17psi but nowadays since last month it hardly touch 13psi.
From my understanding is that the engine makes more power in the cold air, so the ecu requested is then lower. The jb4 has to then try harder to hit the targets. If additive, you would have to raise those values. You should be able to some in the colder air and make more power. You may also need to raise the FOL depending on trims. Just watch those and your timing

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys I have some questions regarding wmi
1) is there a kit that works with the jb4 yet doesn’t cost alot
2) if I use the the existing windshield washer reservoir can I still use my windshield washer to clean the windshield
3) what performance gains can I expect from running the wmi

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys I have some questions regarding wmi
1) is there a kit that works with the jb4 yet doesn’t cost alot
2) if I use the the existing windshield washer reservoir can I still use my windshield washer to clean the windshield
3) what performance gains can I expect from running the wmi
BMS makes a meth kit that works with the jb4 as the controller. It has a fail safe box that ties into the jb4. So you can set in the jb4 when it comes on and shuts off. If the meth goes dry, the fail safe communicates with the jb4 and will then switch to a default map for safety. I have one for sale if interested

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
BMS makes a meth kit that works with the jb4 as the controller. It has a fail safe box that ties into the jb4. So you can set in the jb4 when it comes on and shuts off. If the meth goes dry, the fail safe communicates with the jb4 and will then switch to a default map for safety. I have one for sale if interested

yes I’m interested what kind of performance gains can I expect and what kind of meth do I need to run( like euro spec coolant or washer fluid)

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
yes I’m interested what kind of performance gains can I expect and what kind of meth do I need to run( like euro spec coolant or washer fluid)
You can use washer fluid so you can tap the tank. You want something that is just fluid though, no other additives like bug cleaners or rain repellents. If you shake it and the bubbles go away quickly, it is good. You also want something with a lower temp rating. -25 or -30 is best. I have a list of washer fluid brands and the percentage of methanol in them. You want minimum of 30% and not more than 50%. Any more and you start using the meth more as a fuel supplement and not as cooling.
The performance is pretty good. Most guys see about the same as if using e30. I know with the is20 and jb4, I was limited to about 19psi on 93 and could run 24-25 psi on e30. My 60-100 time is a solid 1 second faster on e30 vs 93. I never used the kit. I bought it, and then ended up going to a custom tune instead. My close friend had this set up though and I know what his performance gains were. He matched his e30 settings just like others have. I have a 1 gallon AEM tank with the kit. If you use the washer reservoir you won't need it, but you can steal the tank tap off of it. I have it listed for sale for $250+ shipping. I believe they start around $340 with no nozzle. I have a CM5 nozzle and a nozzle tap that you can put into the charge pipe. It will need new hose

Slick99

Ready to race!
hey guys i have got the unitronic uniconnect cable for my A3 1.8tfsi, before flashing stage 1 or 1+ do i have to set the map 0 as i usually use map 1 or map 6, 2ndly do i have to change the FOL setting as well?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
hey guys i have got the unitronic uniconnect cable for my A3 1.8tfsi, before flashing stage 1 or 1+ do i have to set the map 0 as i usually use map 1 or map 6, 2ndly do i have to change the FOL setting as well?

Set to map 0 before flash (probably not really needed), FOL 0, Fuel Bias 0 down the whole column.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, as Zumble said, map 0. Set your map 6 to all zero everywhere other than boost safety. Put that at like 25. I recently saw a guy trip the boost safety while on map 0. There is a glitch in firmware 8.4 that flipped it to map 4. I reported it to George. Map 4 used to he the default map for 0 boost pass through. It's now an additive map designed for the R/S3. Could have been dangerous. I doubt they fixed it yet because it's in that firmware. I have had other issues with that firmware as well, but I guess the majority didn't so they didn't give a shit. Defaulting to map 4 is a major issue though so they need to fix that and you need to be careful

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
As they ^ said. You're making a new baseline, so you'll want to establish that baseline before going back in with map 6 for stacking. Also, if you're just going stage 1/1+ then you'll want to be pretty conservative with your new map 6 unless you have access to e85/race fuel, etc...