GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
hey guys, i have been checking my jb4 logs and noticed my IATs are climbing quickly but doesnt go below 40-45c as it used to, been running aftermkt Revo intercooler since 3 years but this time on hot summer i see IATs above 50c all the time and on full WOT it doesnt go below 45c. Ambient temp is mostly 30-34c these days. Should i check the intercooler and charge/throttle pipes if there's oiling inside? i usually run map1 or map6 and peak boost is 16psi on 97 RON fuel.

What is your test scenario? Keep these facts in mind:

1. IAT readings will be higher at light cruise conditions because even though the IC has constant airflow and may be cool, the throttle plate is mostly closed and the intake manifold where the temp sensor is, isn't getting much air flow.

2. Larger intercoolers don't heat soak as quickly, but once they do heatsoak, they take a while to cool off. Do not test temps after you've sat in hot traffic for a while.

Slick99

Ready to race!
What is your test scenario? Keep these facts in mind:

1. IAT readings will be higher at light cruise conditions because even though the IC has constant airflow and may be cool, the throttle plate is mostly closed and the intake manifold where the temp sensor is, isn't getting much air flow.

2. Larger intercoolers don't heat soak as quickly, but once they do heatsoak, they take a while to cool off. Do not test temps after you've sat in hot traffic for a while.

Keep in mind I have been running aftermarket intercooler for 3 years.
Yeah on traffic or bumper to bumper or idling will always show higher IAT. I was talking about on full WOT the IAT is not coming down quickly and also doesn't go below 42c on 30c ambient weather. On normal cruising on same ambient the IAT will be at 45-50c but when doing couple of run to 180-200kph n after few mins IAT goes to 55c from 45c. Once the IAT is high at 55c it's very hard to bring down even on normal cruising or doing full WOT.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Might be better served in thread where someone is more familiar with your IC. Doesn't seem JB4 related though nice to have the logging.

carmor7

Car(s)
Golf Launch Edition
Finally got around to tweaking a Map 6 for my car, it feels amazing so far. Did the values of 11-13-15-16-17-17-17-17-16-15-14-13. Added a bit more ethanol to my blend and watched the timing corrections fall to a perfect 0. Very satisfied with how its performing so far. Do these logs look good? Im not sure what to look for with fuel trims and AFR's.

https://datazap.me/u/carmor7/map-6?log=2&data=1-4

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Finally got around to tweaking a Map 6 for my car, it feels amazing so far. Did the values of 11-13-15-16-17-17-17-17-16-15-14-13. Added a bit more ethanol to my blend and watched the timing corrections fall to a perfect 0. Very satisfied with how its performing so far. Do these logs look good? Im not sure what to look for with fuel trims and AFR's.

https://datazap.me/u/carmor7/map-6?log=2&data=1-4

What is your ethanol blend at? If you're not going to run ethanol all the time, make a good regular pump gas map and have a separate ethanol map you can recall.

I would pull boost at 4500 - 5000 rpm because you can see the factory timing peaks there and goes back down. Boost + very advanced timing = lots of cylinder pressure which caused a bit of knock. This is something kind of unique to 1.8s because the factory curve is different than 2.0s. You could just run more E though. I still insist you lock down a good pump gas map before moving on to ethanol. Don't use ethanol as a bandaid for a bad boost curve.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I actually bumped 4500 on mine since the map was clean and these seem to have boost dip there. Still need to map it to see what it did in terms of timing. I know I'm safe but not sure if it's actually that beneficial.

Looks to me like that curve should drop everything above 5k by .5psi and then 4.5k with it if things don't clean up. Should be seeing 10-11 degrees of timing at 5.5k on a clean map..

carmor7

Car(s)
Golf Launch Edition
What is your ethanol blend at? If you're not going to run ethanol all the time, make a good regular pump gas map and have a separate ethanol map you can recall.

I would pull boost at 4500 - 5000 rpm because you can see the factory timing peaks there and goes back down. Boost + very advanced timing = lots of cylinder pressure which caused a bit of knock. This is something kind of unique to 1.8s because the factory curve is different than 2.0s. You could just run more E though. I still insist you lock down a good pump gas map before moving on to ethanol. Don't use ethanol as a bandaid for a bad boost curve.

My blend is an E20 mix from 91 and E85. When I began logging I was using a tank of mainly pump gas that was probably was around E10 before I refueled with fresh E20 and ran more logs.

I haven't used pure pump gas in a while, I've been doing a rough blend of E10-E15 on Map 3 for safety sake, it always seems happier with a bit of ethanol. It's easy to come by here in the Midwest. Ever since I noticed the benefits while running Map 3 Ive been using ethanol all the time, however, moments like this when I'm pushing more boost, I get more diligent about making sure the ethanol content is high enough.

Do you still think I should pull boost if it went to 0 corrections? I was planning on staying at these levels and keeping my ethanol blend.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
My blend is an E20 mix from 91 and E85. When I began logging I was using a tank of mainly pump gas that was probably was around E10 before I refueled with fresh E20 and ran more logs.

I haven't used pure pump gas in a while, I've been doing a rough blend of E10-E15 on Map 3 for safety sake, it always seems happier with a bit of ethanol. It's easy to come by here in the Midwest. Ever since I noticed the benefits while running Map 3 Ive been using ethanol all the time, however, moments like this when I'm pushing more boost, I get more diligent about making sure the ethanol content is high enough.

Do you still think I should pull timing if it went to 0 corrections? I was planning on staying at these levels and keeping my ethanol blend.

Run a few more logs with this map and see if the correction is consistent. There are two separate knock events there. Neither are terrible, but I would correct it if consistent.

Also have tested the ethanol from your station?

carmor7

Car(s)
Golf Launch Edition
I actually bumped 4500 on mine since the map was clean and these seem to have boost dip there. Still need to map it to see what it did in terms of timing. I know I'm safe but not sure if it's actually that beneficial.

Looks to me like that curve should drop everything above 5k by .5psi and then 4.5k with it if things don't clean up. Should be seeing 10-11 degrees of timing at 5.5k on a clean map..

Like this?
Not sure if you guys can see the other logs clipped to that original one.

https://datazap.me/u/carmor7/map-6?log=0&data=1-4-11

This was my re-log after leveling out my ethanol content. Im seeing ign-1 at around 10-11 right before 5.5k where it cuts off. Bad log I know, lol, this one was just to check that fixing the ethanol content fixed the timing corrections.

Edit:
@ZuMBLe
Car group in my town has an active discussion on it, ethanol tests around 70-75% average here. I'll get some cleaner logs to make sure the corrections are consistent. I've considered a flex fuel kit to measure my E content on the fly, I see better performance when I pay attention to my mixes.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Like this?
Not sure if you guys can see the other logs clipped to that original one.

https://datazap.me/u/carmor7/map-6?log=0&data=1-4-11

This was my re-log after leveling out my ethanol content. Im seeing ign-1 at around 10-11 right before 5.5k where it cuts off. Bad log I know, lol, this one was just to check that fixing the ethanol content fixed the timing corrections.

Edit:
@ZuMBLe
Car group in my town has an active discussion on it, ethanol tests around 70-75% average here. I'll get some cleaner logs to make sure the corrections are consistent. I've considered a flex fuel kit to measure my E content on the fly, I see better performance when I pay attention to my mixes.

You can just get one of those test tube kits and test it every season. You should be okay with that. It's so easy to test that you really shouldn't leave it up to someone else. Make sure your platform is solid before you start building on it.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
FB_IMG_1601329884017.jpg

These were a bunch of settings for stock downpipe and turbo on 93. Alex from the Facebook group put them together.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Here is is12, downpipe and e30. Usually 3.5-4 gallons per tank of 93. You will need the FOL setting to be at least 85 and log to check trims, AFR, ign1, ign2-5. This went 13.1@108mph on a tiptronic 4dr. With the back seats and spare pulled out. Additional bolt ons help as well. Also a colder spark plug gapped to 0.024

1,500-17
2,000-19
2,500-20
3,000-23
3,500-24.0
4,000-24.4
4,500-24.0
5,000-22.8
5,500-20
6,000-19
6,500-17.5
7,000-16