GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
They were used in the gti downpipe with the first cat gutted. The FOL being higher gives more pressure and then in turn more fuel

I wonder what your FOL 85 equates to in actual rail pressure. I'm wondering what the safe number is for our engines.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I wonder what your FOL 85 equates to in actual rail pressure. I'm wondering what the safe number is for our engines.
The 2.0 hpfp runs at a higher pressure VS the 1.8. So no issue at all. I believe the stock hpfp runs at a max of around 160 bar and the 2.0 is 200 bar. I think I was in the 180-190 bar when I had FOL 100. It's been a while since I looked at the logs from OBDeleven to confirm though.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
So I got gas at a different Costco and did a log. Had up to 1.9* of timing pull on a map that I've previously had clean pulls other than bumping 4.5 k up by .5 psi for this run. I will pull 4.5k back from 17 to 16.5 since it didn't remove the shallow trough 1.8s have there. I'm leaving the map as is for now since my ign 1 was at 11 before 5.5k where I had to let off. Just wanted to mention it for those that are pushing to absolute limits. One tank of slightly different gas and you're on the wrong side of the risk/reward, boost/timing equations. Some margin of error is a good thing.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The 2.0 hpfp runs at a higher pressure VS the 1.8. So no issue at all. I believe the stock hpfp runs at a max of around 160 bar and the 2.0 is 200 bar. I think I was in the 180-190 bar when I had FOL 100. It's been a while since I looked at the logs from OBDeleven to confirm though.

Could you do a JB4 log with your current setup? I'd like to see what your FP_H and FP_L look like now. Good science for you also.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So I got gas at a different Costco and did a log. Had up to 1.9* of timing pull on a map that I've previously had clean pulls other than bumping 4.5 k up by .5 psi for this run. I will pull 4.5k back from 17 to 16.5 since it didn't remove the shallow trough 1.8s have there. I'm leaving the map as is for now since my ign 1 was at 11 before 5.5k where I had to let off. Just wanted to mention it for those that are pushing to absolute limits. One tank of slightly different gas and you're on the wrong side of the risk/reward, boost/timing equations. Some margin of error is a good thing.

Totally the drawback of riding the edge. That's why I encourage people to not accept corrections.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Could you do a JB4 log with your current setup? I'd like to see what your FP_H and FP_L look like now. Good science for you also.
I'll be getting my jb4 on Saturday maybe. That's what tracking says, so maybe Monday I'll get it in and get some logs. I haven't logged the new tune in the jb4 at all yet. I had sold my other one before we got it all worked out. I'm very curious to see how it all looks

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
So I just checked and apparently, all states start filling their tanks their winter blends of gas on 9/15. May account for the change in my logs.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
@ZuMBLe I got it hooked up today. I'm glad I still remembered what plug was what and the shortcuts. It took about 20 minutes maybe. I just need to get out and rsrive some for the logs. I think I might have some older ones still from when I was just jb4 on both stock and 2 0 hpfp as well

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
@ZuMBLe I got it hooked up today. I'm glad I still remembered what plug was what and the shortcuts. It took about 20 minutes maybe. I just need to get out and rsrive some for the logs. I think I might have some older ones still from when I was just jb4 on both stock and 2 0 hpfp as well

This is going to be great science. Thanks for doing this.

justaw0rm

Hey ya'll hoping I'm in the right place. I recently got a JB4 AFR harness and finally did some logs.

I bought the JB4 second-hand so I don't think I can reach out to George, so any advice on how to dial my map 6 settings based on logs would be greatly appreciated!

Here's three of my best logs in map 1 in datazap.me: https://datazap.me/u/t1gerb4lm/log-...-14-18-19-23&trim=0&tmin=2232.87&tmax=3451.00

I've been using map 6 settings from the presets on the MK7 Golf TSI Facebook ground but have kept it at max 16 psi running 93 octane... not sure if my logs indicate whether I can reach 17 psi comfortably or not. That FB group is amazing, by the way. @TwinDad just posted the map 6 settings I was talking about, TwinDad, the true 1.8 hero

2016 Golf 1.8 with some minor intake mods.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Hey ya'll hoping I'm in the right place. I recently got a JB4 AFR harness and finally did some logs.

I bought the JB4 second-hand so I don't think I can reach out to George, so any advice on how to dial my map 6 settings based on logs would be greatly appreciated!

Here's three of my best logs in map 1 in datazap.me: https://datazap.me/u/t1gerb4lm/log-...-14-18-19-23&trim=0&tmin=2232.87&tmax=3451.00

I've been using map 6 settings from the presets on the MK7 Golf TSI Facebook ground but have kept it at max 16 psi running 93 octane... not sure if my logs indicate whether I can reach 17 psi comfortably or not. That FB group is amazing, by the way. @TwinDad just posted the map 6 settings I was talking about, TwinDad, the true 1.8 hero

I'm glad the post worked out for you. I tried to get as much jb4 info and settings as possible in there, but a lot of people miss it as an announcement VS being a sticky like the forums. I can take a look at the log in the morning if someone else doesn't first

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion

Lets see the 16 logs. Judging from other Canada gas posts, 16 might be pushing it. I just dropped mine back down to 16 and had clean 17 runs in the past. I suspect it was due to winter gas while it's still in the 70s here. Gas octane/ character is everything and doing a few runs over a period of time wouldn't hurt. Best to do one 3rd gear pull instead of the map 1 you presented.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Lets see the 16 logs. Judging from other Canada gas posts, 16 might be pushing it. I just dropped mine back down to 16 and had clean 17 runs in the past. I suspect it was due to winter gas while it's still in the 70s here. Gas octane/ character is everything and doing a few runs over a period of time wouldn't hurt. Best to do one 3rd gear pull instead of the map 1 you presented.
How bad is the Canada gas? Here is what mine looked like on 93 octane in NJ. I went downpipe shortly after this and then is20, so I didn't try more, but the log was perfect and I bet I could have seen 17+ no problem. Look at the timing advance
Screenshot_20201003-225346_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
How bad is the Canada gas? Here is what mine looked like on 93 octane in NJ. I went downpipe shortly after this and then is20, so I didn't try more, but the log was perfect and I bet I could have seen 17+ no problem. Look at the timing advanceView attachment 187803
Looks real similar to mine this summer when I got a couple perfect pulls. https://datazap.me/u/goodvibes/11-1...-155-145-135-125?log=0&data=1-2-4-11-25-26-27 I just dropped it .5 psi above 3.5 because I got some pull on a recent run on a winter gas fill and it's about time to swap wheels anyway. I'll do another log at some point. It was about 60* today and the car felt real strong before I pulled the .5 out but hey, I don't care about pushing the envelope for how I use it. I'll do another log when I get the chance.

For fun, here's a run I did in spring on summer gas while still cool and damp outside. https://datazap.me/u/goodvibes/11-13-15-16-17-17-17-17-16-15-14-13?log=0&data=1-3-4-25-26-27. Boost numbers are in the link titles so feel free to add tour chart if you like. Gas on all these is 93 from Costco, 1.8 with drop in and slightly opened intake. I'm sure gas varies in Canada depending on location but I've seen other logs here where map 2 was pushing it on Canadian premium so definitely worth logging as he moves up the maps/boost.

Last edited: