GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Yup. Surprised that the IS12 is holding up this well up top, especially in this heat. Wasn't expecting it to hold a 14-15lb setting at 6k. Obviously, it's no IS20 but I thought it would require even more and/or sooner roll off. I also like that it's already spooling pretty well at 2000 rpm. For a daily driver with a little extra, I can't complain. Flatter and smoother feeling curve than expected.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yup. Surprised that the IS12 is holding up this well up top, especially in this heat. Wasn't expecting it to hold a 14-15lb setting at 6k. Obviously, it's no IS20 but I thought it would require even more and/or sooner roll off. I also like that it's already spooling pretty well at 2000 rpm. For a daily driver with a little extra, I can't complain. Flatter and smoother feeling curve than expected.

Your low to mid range boost is actually not that aggressive for the turbo. In comparison, the APR tune runs 20psi in the mid range. Because you're not pushing it so hard in the mid range, you're not carrying as much heat up top. Looks real good and reliable. It's not always about peak numbers.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Right, it's the timing that limits it but I can't complain. I can run 8lbs over stock acceptably but 7 will do. Compared to the additional 3 pounds with lowered timing of the APR tune it's not a big deal unless I had an is20 and then it's a different ball game. I have an intermittent noise from the back so am happy to maintain my warranty as well.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
One more. Couldn't help myself from trying that extra 0.5 psi. 93 octane, 83* and had the air on out of curiosity since it's a daily driver.16.5 map 6
I'm done. :love:

1500 11
2000 13
2500 14.5
3000 15.5
3500 16.5
4000 16.5
4500 16.5
5000 16.5
5500 15.5
6000 14.5
6500 13.5
7000 12.5

Last edited:

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Never thought a stock car with airbox tweak could hold that much without cylinders pulling. 0.5 PSI seems a significant difference for preventing timing adjustment once you're close. This is noticeably different than the stock jb4 curves which leave a lot on the table for the 1.8. Took all of 8 logs to get here without a template and a few emails with George.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Never thought a stock car with airbox tweak could hold that much without cylinders pulling. 0.5 PSI seems a significant difference for preventing timing adjustment once you're close. This is noticeably different than the stock jb4 curves which leave a lot on the table for the 1.8. Took all of 8 logs to get here without a template and a few emails with George.

You're a crackhead now. From not wanting to log to doing small tweaks all the time. I understand and applaud you. I love that your IATs are pretty flat across the pull.

I think giving values for people to plug in to the JB4 is a disservice in a way, (sorry Diggs). Understanding how it works is very valuable. I'd rather answer a few questions than give someone numbers to plug in.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Well, we know they won't work for everyone. If I had a 1.8tsi, I'd start 2.5 to 3 psi less and work way up. Mine is holding boost pretty well up top and I suspect some cars won't do as well.

lotsofmarks

Car(s)
'18 Sportwagen
Where can I find a base map6 for a mk7 1.8t as a starting place? - Including the fuel and boost safety settings, the map 6 on my jb4 came with a bunch of zeros.

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
Set FOL to 60 and boost safety to 2psi above max target. You can try these as a base to start on 93 octane. Also do a stock log on map 0. And see what your car is doing before upping the boost
Screenshot_20200603-102014.png

lotsofmarks

Car(s)
'18 Sportwagen
Thank you, I did some basic logging in 2nd and 3rd gear on map 0 but on 87 gas, I peaked at around 10.5psi - I waiting for 1/4 tank then I will do e85 and 93.

What am I looking for when I look at my logs? Is there a guide somewhere?

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
This whole thread is a guide. Read it and you will learn more than you know. I think I've gone through it about two times now.

Logs should be done in 3rd gear at 2500rpm full throttle to 6500rpm. Making sure timing advances nicely and zero or very minimum KR.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Look for ign 1 to keep advancing by RPM and not too much timing pull on the ign2-4. Keep it under 2 or 3 if you're looking for max or clean of timing adjustments (0) like we do for a daily driver. It really only seems to take 1psi or less boost adjustment between max and clean on the 1.8. I'd wait till on empty and do my runs on 93 1st to get the hang of it and find a curve that my vehicle likes before adding e85. Vdubs #s should be good with 93. I was able to pull a little more but I wouldn't try it until I loggeda clean pull at his #s. The is12 turbo on the 1.8 is already maxed out above 5K or so with 93 so e85 isn't as big a deal on these even though the middle range can be made significantly stronger.

Last edited: