GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
So I did another run today with lower boost. I am still pulling timing on relatively low settings for a is20. Do y'all think it's just bad gas?

Log

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
Generally when you get corrections you dial the boost back. You should be able to still make power and have no timing pull. It's up to you if you want any timing pull at all. Generally under 2 is acceptable. I was getting some on 93 octane. I just did 3 gallons of E85 and no more corrections.

Heck on map 2 and 3 I would get corrections. Map 1 no corrections.

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
What octane gas are you using?
Do you have access to E85?

I am running 93 and it looks like there are two e85 places about 10 mins from my house.

Yeah i just figured my is20 would be pushing higher boost with no corrections.

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
Way to hide it. Haha. That's a lot of boost for a JB4/93 Oct/IS20 car. You can't compare boost values between different turbos. IS20 people should not be using IS12 numbers, etc.
I figured the blue link would give it away ;)

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I am running 93 and it looks like there are two e85 places about 10 mins from my house.

Yeah i just figured my is20 would be pushing higher boost with no corrections.
It can with better gas, especially at higher RPMs but it's pressure vs timing in the midrange and the motor doesn't care what turbo you use to make that pressure. 1.8s run more timing than the GTI motor which is setup for more boost. I think your log is fine even though it touches 2* pull on one cylinder. ign 1 never crashes but ya, you'll need more octane to fully benefit from the is20 and JB4 on this motor. Zumble is stacking and has a better suited is20 ecu tune plus the jb4. Probably something to consider once you've put forth the effort and expense of swapping turbos.

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
It can with better gas, especially at higher RPMs but it's pressure vs timing in the midrange and the motor doesn't care what turbo you use to make that pressure. 1.8s run more timing than the GTI motor which is setup for more boost. I think your log is fine even though it touches 2* pull on one cylinder. ign 1 never crashes but ya, you'll need more octane to fully benefit from the is20 and JB4 on this motor. Zumble is stacking and has a better suited is20 ecu tune plus the jb4. Probably something to consider once you've put forth the effort and expense of swapping turbos.
So I took your advice and got an apr is20 tune. Holy Sheesh this is a different car. I am holding 20+ PSI from 3k to redline with less corrections than the JB4.

The first run I hit my boost safety halfway through so it cut my boost to 15 https://datazap.me/u/mmxmm24/apr-is20-run-1?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18-25-26-27-28

Second run wasn't quite a full run to redline but it was close. https://datazap.me/u/mmxmm24/apr-is20-tune-run-2?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18-25-26-27-28

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So I took your advice and got an apr is20 tune. Holy Sheesh this is a different car. I am holding 20+ PSI from 3k to redline with less corrections than the JB4.

The first run I hit my boost safety halfway through so it cut my boost to 15 https://datazap.me/u/mmxmm24/apr-is20-run-1?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18-25-26-27-28

Second run wasn't quite a full run to redline but it was close. https://datazap.me/u/mmxmm24/apr-is20-tune-run-2?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18-25-26-27-28

Looks good. One drawback is you won't get as much benefit from Ethanol when using an APR flash. On 93 it should be really good though.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
That was fast! Credit Zumble, not me. Just made a lot of sense with the blower swap. I'm super happy with the JB4 on it's own with my stock 1.8. :)

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks good. One drawback is you won't get as much benefit from Ethanol when using an APR flash. On 93 it should be really good though.
yeah that's the next question is if I stack or not. Likely going to resell my jb4 unless I go real crazy with it

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
That was fast! Credit Zumble, not me. Just made a lot of sense with the blower swap. I'm super happy with the JB4 on it's own with my stock 1.8. :)
That stimulus check was burning a hole in my pocket 😄. Luckily the APR Dealer near me had some availability today