GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The car looks happy on those settings.

With that said, you should play around a bit. I think you may be able to turn it up from 3500-5000. Plug in 17 in that range and see what happens. Can't see what your 3000 RPM settings are. I think the IS12's fun range is 2500 to 4500.

Start your pulls below 3k.

EDIT: Also noticed you're blending fuels. You can easily store two (or more) Map 6 settings if you're using BT and a phone. It takes seconds to recall the maps and hit save to make the setting active. I really wish BMS gave us more custom maps slots, but it's not too bad recalling maps. Unfortunately the different maps are stored on the phone, not the JB4.

EDIT PSA: You can make MAP 6 tune changes while not connected to the car for loading later.

1. Save your current map 6 in the app when connected to the car.
2. When not connected (at work, on the shitter, etc), open the app -> User Adjustment -> Load Config -> Load your saved map
3. Make changes you want.
4. Save using new name, or old.
5. When connected to car, load your new settings from the saved file, hit save.
6. Floor the go pedal and log.

Hi guys
Finally installed my AFR harness and went to Map 2 and 6, so just wanted throw a log up for feedback. pretty sure it looks good tho. This thing makes me smile now.
Bone stock Canadian 2018 GSW 4mo- 50/50 Costco 91 and Petro-Can Ultra 94
using TwinDad's stock car settings, FOL-60, ambient temp around 6* C
https://datazap.me/u/alex-howard/log-1551023302?log=1&data=1-4-14-27

Last edited:

9nine9

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GSW IS38
Thanks for your help! I'll mess around with it some more on the weekend when I have a chance to drive it again.
I'm just going back and re-reading a lot of this thread, as previously I didn't quite get certain aspects. Now that I've started logging and bouncing between the different maps it's starting to make more sense.
Thanks again!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
APR IS20 map with the JB4 running a lower boost profile. The ignition advance and AFRs are the same as just the APR flash alone. I was hoping I'd get leaner AFRs or more timing.

EDIT: I now realize it's silly for me to expect a timing or AFR change because the ECU still thinks it's hitting the specified target boost.

Low Boost Map

https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-is20-jb4-low-boost-v3?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

APR IS20 Map
https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-is20-91-octane-full-pull?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

Last edited:

MrCypherr

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone ran a IS38 with just JB4 for the time being before getting a flash tune? APR tune here in canada is around $1000 so im trying to see if I can run the is38 with just jb4 for now.

ALSO, I have a Stage 1 tune. Would it be smart to run that with the is38? Or should I flash my ecu back to stock and then just jb4 or would I be fine for the stage 1? Not sure which would be the better option.

Thanks.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you keep the boost levels in check. Your stage 1 base tune should give you some more headroom in the fueling dept. Is your Stage 1 APR stage one? I yes, maybe run lower absolute boost map lower than the stock ECU map when you start.

Has anyone ran a IS38 with just JB4 for the time being before getting a flash tune? APR tune here in canada is around $1000 so im trying to see if I can run the is38 with just jb4 for now.

ALSO, I have a Stage 1 tune. Would it be smart to run that with the is38? Or should I flash my ecu back to stock and then just jb4 or would I be fine for the stage 1? Not sure which would be the better option.

Thanks.

MrCypherr

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a custom Stage 1 tune from one of the local tuners here. Based off a completely stock car with no hardware. What I was thinking was running the IS38 on a stage 1 tune and then using JB4 map4 to just do logging and check boost levels till I got a IS38 tune. Then of course correct accordingly.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It's a custom Stage 1 tune from one of the local tuners here. Based off a completely stock car with no hardware. What I was thinking was running the IS38 on a stage 1 tune and then using JB4 map4 to just do logging and check boost levels till I got a IS38 tune. Then of course correct accordingly.

Do you have a JB4 right now? If yes, let's see a log of what the Stage 1 tune looks like.

Why not get returned by that tuner?

MrCypherr

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have a JB4 right now? If yes, let's see a log of what the Stage 1 tune looks like.

Why not get returned by that tuner?
I currently don't. It's on the list of things. Right now I'm picking up a clutch and some piping. Intercooler and intake is already bought. Got a catless dp already on the car. Which is why I was wondering if running the stage 1 base tune with Is38 was fine for the time being. Then run JB4 AND later on do a APR Is38 tune when I have $1000 to drop on a tune. (Thanks Canada).

Haven't returned cause he hasn't touched mk7s yet. He is really big with diesels and anything under mk6s. I was a test pilot for him and I am really happy with it but he isn't comfortable running anything higher until further research which I totally respect.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I currently don't. It's on the list of things. Right now I'm picking up a clutch and some piping. Intercooler and intake is already bought. Got a catless dp already on the car. Which is why I was wondering if running the stage 1 base tune with Is38 was fine for the time being. Then run JB4 AND later on do a APR Is38 tune when I have $1000 to drop on a tune. (Thanks Canada).

Haven't returned cause he hasn't touched mk7s yet. He is really big with diesels and anything under mk6s. I was a test pilot for him and I am really happy with it but he isn't comfortable running anything higher until further research which I totally respect.

I'm not sure anyone can say for sure how well the JB4 will work for you without knowing more about the base flash. It should work...

MrCypherr

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not sure anyone can say for sure how well the JB4 will work for you without knowing more about the base flash. It should work...
Fair enough. I didn't really plan on running it without the JB4 so I could log and see results. I believe I'll just wait till I get JB4 and then provide some logs to see how I'm doing.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Stage 1 works fine with an IS20, but I'm not sure anyone has tried with an IS38. Assuming your stage 1 is similar to everyone else's. The only risk I was worrying about when using an IS20 with my stage 1 tune is if it tries to build boost too quickly then there might be compressor surge which would shorten the turbo's life, but I didn't have any so I'm good. With the IS38 being so much bigger it's hard to tell if it would have any surging.