GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building Otto

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Sadly your pump gas does not seem to take much timing at all, Wawa at 200 forty foot road has an E85 blender pump. :D

How is Handels ice cream? First thing that popped up on Royersford and made me want some lol.

I don't think I'm set up to handle E just yet and this is the best gas we have in town. It's also the hottest day of the year here, we're putting a pause on finishing up the tune until I can get out when its a little cooler. Might be a few days.

Handel's is delicious but personally I prefer Scoop Deville haha

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I don't think I'm set up to handle E just yet and this is the best gas we have in town. It's also the hottest day of the year here, we're putting a pause on finishing up the tune until I can get out when its a little cooler. Might be a few days.

Handel's unlocked some core memories just now 🤙 I always forget there's a handful of PA folks on here, seems like the majority are either down south, Cali, or waaaay up in BAHSTAHN

I gotta get out to Conshohocken for a lobster roll and some KoP shopping. Can't wait to see how everything shakes out with the tune.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

When you are finishing up the tune ask for a hot revision that you can run with say E20 for special occasions.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Handel's unlocked some core memories just now 🤙 I always forget there's a handful of PA folks on here, seems like the majority are either down south, Cali, or waaaay up in BAHSTAHN

I gotta get out to Conshohocken for a lobster roll and some KoP shopping. Can't wait to see how everything shakes out with the tune.

I'm 20 minutes from KOP and my brother lives in Conshy. I'm always around!

Just spoke to Matt @ EQT and the tune is 98% there. I flashed a 4th revision but he would like a log in cooler temps which I won't see for a few days. He pulled a pound of boost due to the slip in the first log and with IATs over 110 he can't add anymore timing. Idea is if I can log when my IATs will be lower he can round everything out from there, right now the protection tables are kicking in.

Car rips though. 4th gear logs are definitely sketchy. I'm going to book some dyno time a week or two out so that the tune can be finalized first but I want to see where everything sits. I have some other plans for the car but we might fast track a switch to MPI if we're not nearing mid 400s

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
So my constant P2565 / P2563 with associated EPC has become an occasional one. It comes on right at start up. But...I've discovered that if I drive for a while (a good while, oil temps over 200 for example) and then turn the car off I can turn it right back on and the EPC is gone. Works every time. Not sure why that'd be but it's better than nothing for now. I'm lobbying EQT to send me the new wg actuator first rather than me returning the old one first, I can't really have the car down that long and I'd prefer to swap in a new one vs my old one.

The O2 spacer seems to have resolved my emissions trouble code too which is great. Might actually be able to get this thing inspected one day.

galavanter13

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So my constant P2565 / P2563 with associated EPC has become an occasional one. It comes on right at start up. But...I've discovered that if I drive for a while (a good while, oil temps over 200 for example) and then turn the car off I can turn it right back on and the EPC is gone. Works every time. Not sure why that'd be but it's better than nothing for now. I'm lobbying EQT to send me the new wg actuator first rather than me returning the old one first, I can't really have the car down that long and I'd prefer to swap in a new one vs my old one.

The O2 spacer seems to have resolved my emissions trouble code too which is great. Might actually be able to get this thing inspected one day.
Which O2 spacer are you using with your Trackslag?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Little update...

The EPC light has been more persistent and my tricks for working around it have been successful less frequently. Took it back to the shop which checked the voltage on the WG first with the engine cold and with the engine hot (I assume because I said the EPC light goes away if I start the car when it's already hot) and they said it can be calibrated and it'll take the wg adaptation but the actuator doesn't remain at it's set point. Basically, bad wg actuator. Which we knew. The DV was also bad and was already replaced a couple of weeks ago so all of the electronics included with this turbo were bad.

Won't have a new actuator until Monday, can't drop the car back off until Wednesday. New OE actuator was over $300 and I'm staring at another 3-4hrs of labor. So spending an extra $250 on a new, pre-calibrated wg actuator from EQT is ultimately going to end up costing me weeks of testing and fiddling and limp mode driving and over $1,000 to the shop for their contributions. Live and learn I guess.

EQT did say they'd send out a new actuator under warranty today but I'm going to try and flip it when it gets here. I trust the OE actuator the shop sourced from VW more at this point.

Car rips when it works it just hasn't worked much.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
So the shop has had the car for two days. The new WG actuator is in but they were having trouble getting VCDS to read the voltage in order to calibrate the actuator and run the adaptation. They thought the tune might be locking them out somehow. I don't know how that could be but they asked to flash the car back to stock and try it. So I obliged, and they did.

What I'm told is they can't really get a reading either way. They dug some more and there is a Charge Air Pressure control valve fault. They can only get a reading of 1v no matter what they do. I heard that and thought cool, new control valve and we're good. They somehow determined there is an internal fault in the ECU itself. They think an internal driver is bad which may have been what fried the original DV and/or wg actuator and that is what is causing all of the problems.

I'm outside of my wheelhouse with this, I have no idea how to confirm any of that. But the shop has been good to me and I generally trust them. Car is hanging out while they wait on a price from VW for a new ECU but none of this sounds cheap. I reached out to EQT and the community at large to see what I might be missing or if anything about that sounds strange.

We'll see what happens next.

Last edited: