GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building Otto

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Pretty low, but I trust shops knowing how to troubleshoot the electronic WG system on the MK7 about as far as I can throw them.

Yea, now that I've had time to digest this I have several questions that I was too annoyed to think of earlier. I want to know why they think the actuator fault isn't just the actuator not being calibrated and what fault points them towards the ECU being bad.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Oh I see this is being talked about here too lol. I don't think it's your actuator.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Update...

So an ECU has different outputs, some of which are called actuator drivers. These control injectors, relays, valves, etc. They've determined that the driver responsible for the charge pressure control valve is bad and they think it's because the tune was calling for too much voltage. EQT wants the wastegate actuator to be set to 4v and the tune does call for as much as 4-4.2v based on my logs but that's not much higher than the 3.5-3.9 that VW tune calls for. But that's what I've got so far.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Bonus update. I'm learning so much today.

In speaking to Matt @ EQT, the tune does lock VCDS out. Cobb uses the same software in 19-21 MY cars so Cobb assigns a new ID that's different from the native, and the native ID is what VCDS would read. If flashing back to stock doesn't restore the native ID (I don't know if it does or doesn't) then VCDS would still not work.

I also don't know if the shop installed an is20 or is38 wastegate, and the calibration procedure is different. Only is38 can be done engine off, is20 would need to be engine on. It could all be done from the Accessport, which might solve the problem if they know how to do that. I believe they are closed now so I might not be able to troubleshoot this with them until tomorrow but this gives me hope.

EDIT: Shop would have to completely uninstall the AP to return it to native ID. If they did anything else it would still lock VCDS out.

Matt also says the tune runs stock voltage on the wastegate circuit. The calibration voltage is a different reading/voltage from what the circuit sees I gather. He believe's they are just trying to calibrate it the wrong way.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Well, that explains a lot. So now its up to the shop to get the calibration right ?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I'm picking it up tonight and I'm going to do the calibration myself. I want to know for sure it can or can't be done before I drop $1700 on an ECU

Not sure which wastegate they installed but it'll be easy enough to identify when I get the car. What is the difference between is20 and is38 wg calibration? is38 can be done with the car off (key on) and the is20 won't send out a voltage unless the car is started? Otherwise they are the same?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
And if a total mechanical neanderthal like me can do it, anyone can