GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bov, dv, wth?

lastcrusade

ok this may be a dumb question and ive done some research but im still not clear on how it all works.. call me a ricer if you want but i LOVE the WHOOSH sound from a bov. I dont want to modify the car too much yet but i want to get that sound out of it.. will the dv make the noise? do i need a new intake? or do i HAVE to swap it out to a bov?

im lost.. any help would be GREAT :D

VipAlexS

Passed Driver's Ed
Get an intake and you have it. Rev the car and let go and you'll get the WOOSH Youtube my video : How to install Injen on Mk7 GTI You'll hear the sound. You'll only hear it when you want and not every 2 seconds.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
A DV can be very loud depending on it's placement in the system. On this car its right on top of the turbo, right next to the intake. So get an open cone intake like the INjen, remove the strip of rubber that runs along the back of your engine bay, and you will have a very loud BOV sound. :)

Even before you get an intake, remove the rubber trim. Takes two seconds literally. Just pull on it and it pops off. You'll hear it even with a stock intake. Also lets out engine heat.

Free mod!

lastcrusade

Ive always liked the noise but my old gti was an auto so it didnt make the sound nearly as much but the last turbo car I had before that was manual and it never bothered me. This car is more of a pleasure vehicle and I hardly drive it as I NEED my truck for work so monday-friday it sits at home :/ so its not like ill have to hear it every morning sitting in traffic

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Keep in my generally BOV's will make these cars not run the best. The engine is expecting that air to be rerouted back into the intake, but when it vents it to the atmosphere the ECU freaks out a bit. That being said there are half BOV's and half recirculating valves out there, not sure if they will be available for the Golf. I honestly wouldn't even mess with it, not on a Golf.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
so the rubber strip is just weather stripping or something? I like free/easy mods! lol

Yep! Just give it a little tug, and it pulls right off. That's it. You'll enjoy the noise. And really you only get the sound depending on how you drive. It's very easy to hear it, it's also very easy to not hear. On auto you wont notice it much unless you punch and release in one gear.

Keep in my generally BOV's will make these cars not run the best. The engine is expecting that air to be rerouted back into the intake, but when it vents it to the atmosphere the ECU freaks out a bit. That being said there are half BOV's and half recirculating valves out there, not sure if they will be available for the Golf. I honestly wouldn't even mess with it, not on a Golf.

Actually with this car there is no MAF sensor anymore. So BOV's are fine. But in theory the DV will help keep your turbo spooled between shifts, so i'd still always recommend a DV because of that and simply because the car was engineered with a DV. And the DV is loud on this car anyways.

lastcrusade

I need to find a wiki page on the engine or something and do some reading.. im going to have the car a long time so it wouldnt hurt to get to know it now i guess lol

but thanks for the information! its definitely helping

Josh64

Ready to race!
Apparently taking the the finned panel out of the intake air box increases induction noise. I haven't tried it, but that's what some people have said.

Also, can anyone point out this rubber strip in a picture? I don't know what you're referring to.