GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Bought a TCR Muffler for my US spec Mk7.5 GTI

Slowmk7.5

The 2018 and older GTI's had 2.5" catback piping.
The 2019 and up GTI has 2.37" catback piping.
I found this out when I bought a used 2019 catback to use some parts from, and the piping was smaller than my stock 2018 catback.
(Confirmed on USA cars in my video.)

So the same question. Does the TCR muffler have 2.37" piping or 2.5" piping. Less-observant people might not even notice the slight difference, and they might have a tiny mysterious leak.
If indeed the TCR is only 2.37”, does this mean I can’t use the oem clamp to install it? Even if I tighten it down to the max? I have a 2018

Last edited:

SuperDuper

Ready to race!
If indeed the TCR is only 2.37”, does this mean I can’t use the oem clamp to install it? Even if I tighten it down to the max? I have a 2018
I think you'll be okay. I think the TCR muffler is confirmed to be a direct fit for 2018 models, but not on 2019s.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
you can usually get away with the same clamp for 2.37 or 2.5, but they do make perfect size clamps for each, which is preferrable. 60mm vs 63mm.

20ls01

Ready to race!
Can someone that owns one measure the TCR piping? This muffler is on my short list for my 19 GTI.
TCR axle back is 2.5" as is 2018 GTI exhaust piping

I think you'll be okay. I think the TCR muffler is confirmed to be a direct fit for 2018 models, but not on 2019s.
This is true.

TCR axle back is 2.5"
2.37" is said to be 2019 USDM mk7.5 exhaust piping diameter. I suppose you can use 2.5" oem piping clamp but it might be a wonky fit (potential exhaust leak and wobbly connection)

Last edited:

hotbascosauce

Passed Driver's Ed
Ride
2019 GTI DSG W/DCC
What?! Oh man. I guess that means when I receive my muffler, it will need to be welded instead of clamps. I'll keep you guys posted. I'll probably go buy a caliper after work to measure my pipe diameter. Thats just super strange to me that they would change the exhaust piping for 1 year. You'd think they would have done that with the facelift to MK7.5.

SuperDuper

Ready to race!
What?! Oh man. I guess that means when I receive my muffler, it will need to be welded instead of clamps. I'll keep you guys posted. I'll probably go buy a caliper after work to measure my pipe diameter. Thats just super strange to me that they would change the exhaust piping for 1 year. You'd think they would have done that with the facelift to MK7.5.
Please do keep us updated. I was planning on buying this up until I read this for my '19.

ThatMK7GTIguy

Ride
2019 Rabbit GTI
Can confirm that piping between resonator and suitcase IS 2.37 on 2019 models. Found this out when installing Resonator delete. At the same time though, it's really not that big of a deal. Any reputable exhaust will have a pipe expander.
IMG_20200124_084010459.jpg

This is on the resonator side, but you get the idea. I will take this section back and have them expand the other side as well when my TCR gets here. And best of all it cost $0. I'm sure at least one guy in your car group is cool with the muffler guy. If not, become that guy. They have tools none of us can afford and are normally super helpful with this stuff. Worst case scenario I have him make this section out of 2.5 and it's the same all the way through; he told me $30 for that section, or $20 to weld it. I think alot of you are over thinking this. Remember, there guys on here doing full muffler deletes for $150 and that's alot more work than just one weld or stretch.

Slowmk7.5

Also in the same boat, plan on bolting up the TCR exhaust and trying it out for a few days. If I don’t like it paired with the res delete I will just swap back to the oem resonator.

Raeyman_

^ Ditto. I was wondering what the final cost was on e-acca from anyone who has bought it recently. Thinking of buying one as well for my MK7.5.
I'm located in Florida