GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a TCR Muffler for my US spec Mk7.5 GTI

pjp7212

Ready to race!
If the TCR muffler is anything like the CSS muffler, there's almost no muffling lol.

Had that before, Catted/Resonated Downpipe + CSS muffler (on stock res) = almost as bad as straight-piped. An upgraded resonator is a must if you want to keep it somewhat civil below 2800RPM~

Lmao I agree with this.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
So this basically confirms that the TCR and CSS mufflers are effectively the same. Sound is perfect with a stock downpipe, but grating and harsh with an aftermarket one. (For reference, here is mine with CSS muffler, stock downpipe and res: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jswGMMMcc5M)

Interesting note about the TCR having OPF (I didn't think of this before). Does anyone know if the Mk7 CS/CSS had OPF as well?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Its loud .. too loud for me lol. Im selling it.

with a stock DP I wouldn't think this is the loud at all.
I was next to a GOLF TCR at h20i and it wasn't loud loud. yes it was loud but nothing crazy. I actually thought it was very close to my car sound. I mean to each their own, maybe your looking for something quite very quite?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Interesting note about the TCR having OPF (I didn't think of this before). Does anyone know if the Mk7 CS/CSS had OPF as well?

OPF is a Euro 2019 thing and almost every car that has similar exhaust as the non OPF version sounds like vacuum cleaners.

Moff2

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m late to this party, but, I have a TCR. We believe the TCR rear silencer must be smaller/emptier than that of the CS/CSS, as even with the cat and the new OPF, it still had a nice note to it, although from what I believe, not as loud as either of them.
I’ve removed the cat and OPF this weekend, in preparation for tuning today. When we started it up for the first time yesterday, I was horrified at the sound of it.
Measures are being taken tomorrow to try and get another silencer put into the system somewhere.
Video of first start up after downpipe fitting.
https://youtu.be/ZJkafEnP25s

Moff2

Passed Driver's Ed
This is the size of the cat and the OPF

bc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I’m late to this party, but, I have a TCR. We believe the TCR rear silencer must be smaller/emptier than that of the CS/CSS, as even with the cat and the new OPF, it still had a nice note to it, although from what I believe, not as loud as either of them.
I’ve removed the cat and OPF this weekend, in preparation for tuning today. When we started it up for the first time yesterday, I was horrified at the sound of it.
Measures are being taken tomorrow to try and get another silencer put into the system somewhere.
Video of first start up after downpipe fitting.
https://youtu.be/ZJkafEnP25s

Vibrant 17950 is the go to resonator on the forum, see if you can find it in the UK.

Moff2

Passed Driver's Ed
A friend had a Milltek silencer that he’d just recently chopped out someone’s car. We put that in and it’s sweet now. [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
will this have the same problem as the CS muffler where a reducer is required to run it on a regular GTI? or did they bump up the exhaust diameter for the TCR to match the GTI and CSS?

I think what they are referring to is that the pipe diameter is smaller in the facelift I believe that the 7's were.

The 2018 and older GTI's had 2.5" catback piping.
The 2019 and up GTI has 2.37" catback piping.
I found this out when I bought a used 2019 catback to use some parts from, and the piping was smaller than my stock 2018 catback.
(Confirmed on USA cars in my video.)

So the same question. Does the TCR muffler have 2.37" piping or 2.5" piping. Less-observant people might not even notice the slight difference, and they might have a tiny mysterious leak.

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
Just purchased a TCR exhaust, will be running with stock downpipe and the res delete that's currently on the car, might put a vibrant in once it's here.... 60-90 days. Will post a vid when it gets here

Last edited: