GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I have a 2019 GTI Rabbit edition and installed a JB4 a few days back. This is my second car with a JB4 some I’m already familiar with it but noticed some oddness on my 2019.

Everything is plugged in, running map 2 nice and strong but I notice what feel like tiny misfires when idling. RPMs stay completely still but you feel these “misfires” every few seconds.

I’m using the latest firmware. Any ideas or anyone else experience this?

Tomorrow I’m going to put it on map 0 to see if they still happen or not.
Yup, see my response to another member:

4. Others, including myself, have noticed this and posted about it a while ago in this thread. I once logged with my phone when my car was idling, and I saw the Ign_1 parameter jumping. I believe my log caught one instance of it spiking to 10°. When I switched to Map 0 (stock/passthrough), it seemed to disappear.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Ahh man also on a 2019? Did George have any input? Have you tried older firmware’s?

I have a 2017, but the person I responded to has a 2019. I had that rough idle ever since I started using map 6 a year ago. I believe I installed 2 firmware updates after switching to map 6, though my last update was in October 2018 -- v60/7//5.

I don't believe George has commented on the matter. I could be wrong, though.

Just to note, I don't have a JB4 anymore, so I can't comment on recent feel or updates

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2019 GTI Rabbit edition and installed a JB4 a few days back. This is my second car with a JB4 some I’m already familiar with it but noticed some oddness on my 2019.

Everything is plugged in, running map 2 nice and strong but I notice what feel like tiny misfires when idling. RPMs stay completely still but you feel these “misfires” every few seconds.

6MT or DSG? Any issues with stalling?
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51247
I haven't installed the JB4 in my 2019 yet... I'm waiting to install until after I sort through my 6MT stalling issue. My car has always had a rough idle.

spirotot

You could get one used from the classifieds section of these forums. They pop up from time to time at a lower price -- it also doesn't matter which "group" (as listed on the BMS website) it is because they're the same unit for Golfs, GTIs, and Rs.

What about the other non-Golf VW groups, like Group 4 (still EA888, but GLI/Jetta/Passat)?

I purchased a used JB4, and only just now realized that it is, quite likely, Group 4. Is it safe to use with my GTI? Plugs all look the same, I think..?

vwinva

Ready to race!
6MT or DSG? Any issues with stalling?

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51247

I haven't installed the JB4 in my 2019 yet... I'm waiting to install until after I sort through my 6MT stalling issue. My car has always had a rough idle.

DSG and zero stalling issues. Closing in to 2k miles.

My idle is solid as far as rpms go but after installing the JB4 there is this misfire type feeling you can feel every few seconds but this whole time the rpm is perfectly stable.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
What about the other non-Golf VW groups, like Group 4 (still EA888, but GLI/Jetta/Passat)?

I purchased a used JB4, and only just now realized that it is, quite likely, Group 4. Is it safe to use with my GTI? Plugs all look the same, I think..?

If you're sure that it's Group 4, it might not work: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=724559&postcount=5

If I were you, I'd contact George to see if there's a way to determine if the device is a Group 4 unit and if it really will not work well with your car.

Edit: I updated my previous post that you quoted. Unfortunately, more groups have been added. Back then, there were only the first 3 groups.

Last edited:

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG and zero stalling issues. Closing in to 2k miles.

My idle is solid as far as rpms go but after installing the JB4 there is this misfire type feeling you can feel every few seconds but this whole time the rpm is perfectly stable.

Mine is the same... RPM's steady but I can feel the rough idle in pedal and wheel.

tcabrino

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 Rabbit
I have my JB4 from my 16 GTI waiting to be installed in my Rabbit. I'm having stalling issues so waiting on that to be fixed before installing. I believe this might be what is causing in yours. I have some RPM fluctuation stock.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have my JB4 from my 16 GTI waiting to be installed in my Rabbit. I'm having stalling issues so waiting on that to be fixed before installing. I believe this might be what is causing in yours. I have some RPM fluctuation stock.
I've got a 2019 rabbit as well and it has randomly stalled when in neutral and stopping for a light or sitting at a light when it was under 1000 miles (2 times). I've since put about seven hundred miles on it with the jb4 and it happened once on map 1 in the beginning but that's it, never on map 2 or now map 6.

I will say I have the same idle feeling but that was there before the jb4 also - its just more noticeable now, I have a 2013 gli on APR stage 1 also, so I just figured the newer 2.0s maybe just has that type of idle.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Can anyone share any knowledge on removing a JB4?
I did not install it. I'm seeing conflicting info on how to remove it.