GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bittersweet

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
awesome story! something incredibly rad about a 4 cylinder VW hatchback that can wreck shop on built drag V8 cars on the street....hahah. too much fun.

I'm sorry to hear that... has to be frustrating, but I second the "SEND IT AND FORGET IT" sentiment here personally. I knew a guy who was spraying a >200 shot on an Ls1 with literally 200k miles on it with nothing but valve springs in it, rings were so loose it would blow the oil stick out sometimes, thought for sure it would not last but he sprayed like >150 bottles through it and eventually sold it to someone else, who also kept spraying and beating on it like a stepchild. I believe it still lives to this day.

worst case I bet you can pickup a low-ish mileage shortblock somewhere for maybe $2,500

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Step one, switch to a heavier weight oil.

Step two, check oil every tank of corn whiskey

Step three, keep an eye out for a lowish milage short block (or a whole crashed mk7 and part it out).

No way I’d build the engine in this case. If you’re not interested in chasing 9s and 6-700 horsepower chalk it up as bad luck and put another stock engine in it.

That’s what I would do anyway. I’m making a lot less power, but 81,500 and zero issues out of mine.

Since we're on this topic, if you find a crashed mk7 I'll go halves with you for some parts I need, you can take the motor @hoon :D

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Yep. 4 is grumpy but 1 is really showing wear. 1 also took the most abuse when it went lean last year (furthest from the fuel pump).

The car doesn't smoke at all and pulls hard as hell. The motor is by no means on life support, but it's only going to degrade from here.

Sounds like you may be able to get away with just throwing some new pistons in. Obviously it would be worthwhile to do rods as well, but almost all of the failures on the gen 3s I've seen have been ringland related

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Where's the Littco L450??

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I was thinking that you would have gone the IMS route.

Can't justify a $5400 turbo for a $13K car. Thing is already useless until 4th gear lol.

Appreciate the response Hoon. You should start a thread with all the set ups you've done.

At some point i should do a "build thread". I don't do a very good job documenting the stuff i do.

Sorry to hear it man, have really enjoyed your contributions and hope you aren't done.

Not done :)

Do you have a borescope?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/gYuN8WQaV78

My borescope is an amazon cheapie, thats at bottom dead center and you cant see the walls at all. Top of the piston looks like shit though, i assume thats deposits from oil. Considering the amount of heat and ethanol i put through it, i'm surprised to see anything. The wetness is from the compression test, it hasn't been driven since.

Dude 18psi and little bit of oil consumption is nothing. With that turbo it's not gonna fkn care. I'd just send it this season, go for record then strip and trade :)

Nope it's still going to make power, but at this level i don't think it'll survive next season so i'd rather build it over the winter.

Step one, switch to a heavier weight oil.

Step two, check oil every tank of corn whiskey

Step three, keep an eye out for a lowish milage short block (or a whole crashed mk7 and part it out).

No way I’d build the engine in this case. If you’re not interested in chasing 9s and 6-700 horsepower chalk it up as bad luck and put another stock engine in it.

That’s what I would do anyway. I’m making a lot less power, but 81,500 and zero issues out of mine.

The thing is, the low mileage engines i'm seeing are about the same cost as what i guesstimate i can build the motor for. I need to do an itemized list and price it all out. I'm very confident that 99% of the motor is good to go as is.

Refresh the bearings and seals, new OEM head gasket, bore it only if necessary, and go aftermarket for head studs, pistons, rods, and valve springs. I have a machine shop about 2 hrs away that does awesome work at fair prices. He's an old man with a small shop that has turned out some 7 second, 10,000+ rpm 4 bangers. Euros aren't his thing but he has done some complex valvetrain work for me years ago, and i had no issues with it.

Sorry to hear man but YOLO so send it!!! So how are you liking the spool of the XL and how does it drive when puttering around on the street?

Liking it a lot. Only have about 250 miles on it so far and really haven't been able to lean on it with enough timing yet, but it moves a ton of air for a stock frame hybrid.

Spool and around town are not bad at all. I haven't driven it on pump gas, but on E it does not feel laggy, quite the opposite when you consider the top end. Shifting at 7250 feels too low.

I endorse this message. Even if you splatter the guts everywhere, it’s a mk7. It’s not like these things are expensive comparatively.

I need the block, crank, and head in usable condition!

***Subaru Intensifies***

Lol, would have never made it near this far.

awesome story! something incredibly rad about a 4 cylinder VW hatchback that can wreck shop on built drag V8 cars on the street....hahah. too much fun.

I'm sorry to hear that... has to be frustrating, but I second the "SEND IT AND FORGET IT" sentiment here personally. I knew a guy who was spraying a >200 shot on an Ls1 with literally 200k miles on it with nothing but valve springs in it, rings were so loose it would blow the oil stick out sometimes, thought for sure it would not last but he sprayed like >150 bottles through it and eventually sold it to someone else, who also kept spraying and beating on it like a stepchild. I believe it still lives to this day.

worst case I bet you can pickup a low-ish mileage shortblock somewhere for maybe $2,500

That's one of the reasons why i love the car, i'm a sucker for underdog cars.

As for that LS1, the loose rings are why it survived on that much nitrous. If the motors are fresh with stock ring gaps the rings expand too much when really heated, they pinch and crack the piston.

Sounds like you may be able to get away with just throwing some new pistons in. Obviously it would be worthwhile to do rods as well, but almost all of the failures on the gen 3s I've seen have been ringland related

Still sorting through the details/pricing. If i do rods, it will change the piston choice and add about $870 to the cost.

I have a hard time with that because the car is FWD. I can't use more TQ than the stock rods can hold, but then again i'm already there so why not just spend the $$$ and do them.

Tough decisions.

Where's the Littco L450??

West coast with it's new owner.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have a feeling this isn't the end. Sounds like time for new pistons and rods to me.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Piston looks like ass.

Yep. I was under the car yesterday and it's pushing oil through the oil pan seals and dipstick O-ring also.

It'll be interesting to see if the piston/bore actually has damage, or if I literally just wore out the rings. You always worry about breaking a motor, but not so much about accelerated wear being a real issue before 60k miles.

I have a feeling this isn't the end. Sounds like time for new pistons and rods to me.

Pistons, and head studs are definites. Rods and valve springs are TBD.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
There was a fully built head being sold for 2k. ported and polished all new hardware from APR(valves springs, retainers). You should jump on it. Dude selling it is on FB and has a fully built IMS R.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
There was a fully built head being sold for 2k. ported and polished all new hardware from APR(valves springs, retainers). You should jump on it. Dude selling it is on FB and has a fully built IMS R.

I appreciate the tip!

Odd as this may sound, I don't have interest in a ported head. It's going to hurt spool, lose drivability, etc.

A lot of sacrifices to support huge airflow levels that I don't intend to run.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yep. I was under the car yesterday and it's pushing oil through the oil pan seals and dipstick O-ring also.

It'll be interesting to see if the piston/bore actually has damage, or if I literally just wore out the rings. You always worry about breaking a motor, but not so much about accelerated wear being a real issue before 60k miles.

Pistons, and head studs are definites. Rods and valve springs are TBD.

Cylinders can be bored. Can't fix massive holes from rods exiting stage left.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I had money on this motor imploding months ago! I would hunt for a low mileage engine from a totaled car, and then take the original one and rebuild it as time allows.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I've talked to a few people about boring these blocks, and they don't think you can bore these motors that much without risking cylinder wall strength. You would have to bore and iron sleeve it. My rings went at 94K but not without scoring the crap out of the cylinder walls of cylinder 2 trashing the motor. Rings are a definite weak spot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I've talked to a few people about boring these blocks, and they don't think you can bore these motors that much without risking cylinder wall strength. You would have to bore and iron sleeve it. My rings went at 94K but not without scoring the crap out of the cylinder walls of cylinder 2 trashing the motor. Rings are a definite weak spot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You can't bore much, these engines have thin walls.

Stock bore is 82.5mm, you can go up to 83. One company makes an 83.5mm piston but I've never seen anyone use it.

I would strongly prefer to stay stock bore if the condition of the block will allow.