GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 1 Engine & Tranny Mounts

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Just a note on this: my BFI engine mount bolt package only came with three bolts. I had to reuse the same OEM bolt you did.

When I contacted BFI, they sent me the missing bolt, but said it was not necessary to swap them. They actually recommend reusing the OEM bolt with that post sticking up if you're planning to run a catch can. You need it for that mod apparently.

Yeah the hardware they provide are Chinese per the code on the bolt. It is very likely the OEM hardware is cost prohibitive and why they don't just send the mount with the stretch bolts.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I stupidly didn't check part number of transmission when ordering the fully assemble trans mount. I might be able to get away with just the insert and save some money. So where on the trans is the part number located for future reference when I check tonight?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I stupidly didn't check part number of transmission when ordering the fully assemble trans mount. I might be able to get away with just the insert and save some money. So where on the trans is the part number located for future reference when I check tonight?

If you're buying a trans fully assembled it doesn't matter (I may be wrong). The only difference was the riveting vs nut and bolt holding the two halves together. Mine was a 2015 riveted old design and I used the bfi newer revision with no issues.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

My 2017 was riveted. I drilled the rivets out and used the insert. They are the exact same shape either way.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
My 2017 was riveted. I drilled the rivets out and used the insert. They are the exact same shape either way.

WTF. I asked BFI and they say I had to verify part number on the trans mount because insert wouldn't work for the new ones. So itsert will work for any part number trans mount? I have a 2016.

Last edited:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Anyways, looks like everything needs to be dissasembled to find out the trans mount part number so I'll probably just stick with the fully assembled kit. Weird though that torque solutions sells the inserts and doesn't mention what part number mount is needed for it to work.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
WTF. I asked BFI and they say I had to verify part number on the trans mount because insert wouldn't work for the new ones. So itsert will work for any part number trans mount? I have a 2016.
There was a lot of discussion about it. I think someone said some of them are welded together instead of riveted. Those would need a full replace. I've never seen any evidence of the welded variety existing though.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Got my ECS mount installed. Looks the sale ABOUT TO END!!! is still going on, 15% off.

Much more locked down than my first gen Revo engine mount with rubber bushings. I was actually really surprised how much tighter downshifts were. I guess I shouldn't have been, considering how pancaked the lower bushing on the Revo was with the engine weight on it. A little more cabin noise at idle but nothing annoying.

I'll be warrantying the Revo to get the newer one with poly bushings and selling it brand new in box.

Had my girl pull the trigger on the impact wrench while I yanked on the downpipe to get it closer to aligned. Still need to order some new trans mount bolts so I can work on getting that perfectly aligned too, but its probably pretty close.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Fixed my install yesterday. I did it on a lift with a built in jack, which made it pretty easy. I used the jack to support the left and right sides at the same time. I removed the bolts on both mounts and only needed to apply a little pressure with a pry bar on each side to ensure everything was properly lined up.

In the pictures you can barely notice the leftover markings from where the trans mount was originally installed at, just a few mm's off. I feel much better about where everything sits now. Thanks to everyone in this thread for their tips and feedback.

Engine Mount, original and fixed

Trans Mount, original and fixed

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Has anyone ever experienced added knock (ghost knock) from installing bfi stage 1 mounts? Still waiting for mines to go back in stock but was wondering if this a common issue. I have no issues with knock with stock mounts so hope it continues with these.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone ever experienced added knock (ghost knock) from installing bfi stage 1 mounts? Still waiting for mines to go back in stock but was wondering if this a common issue. I have no issues with knock with stock mounts so hope it continues with these.

If you install correctly you shouldn't have false knock from the mounts. However, they do naturally make knock more "susceptible" or make the sensors a tad bit more sensitive to being set off but each car is different.

Totally wish we could desensitize knock sensor voltages like n54s, *cough cough George (from BM, Jb4) xD

I had one brought to me that had crazy power loss. Logged it, what do u know timing pull out the wazzoo. We tried flushing fuel, gapping plugs, coding esc off and finally he casually mentions it was after some mods. One of those mods was a torque solutions engine mount, an ecs trans mount and a 034 insert. Car had .6+ knock voltages in cyl 1 and 2 at IDLE. They were also installed diy style. . . He went back to just an 034 insert and issues mostly subsided.

Power flex hybrid with bfi stage one seems to be a perfect combo for your car PAC. That's what I run. It gives the least amount of nvh with the biggest bang for your nvh, so to speak. Locks that shite down. I have no lsd and have absolutely zero wheel hop (it just snaps traction loose, no clawing ). You are probably 30-40whp more than me, but it's a great combo.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Good to know guys. Just found out from bfi that mounts are coming overseas by boat so still waiting but getting excited for these.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Good to know guys. Just found out from bfi that mounts are coming overseas by boat so still waiting but getting excited for these.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You're going to be wondering why you didn't do these a loooong time ago.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
May be a dumb question but.. given what I've done to my car already (signature), should I be installing the BFI Stage 1 motor/trans mounts next?