GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
been awhile, gent!
I have DG springs with neuspeed RS10 18x8 and conti extremecontact dws06+ 235/40-18, also FSB and RSB on my 2017 GTI S manual. Car will never see track days, I just want something comfortable, so should I look into B6 or even B4? (not sure since DG isn't stock but not exactly lower springs either :D)
thx in adv
The upgraded swaybars reduce comfort. The DG springs reduce comfort.

Full stock suspension and 17in wheels with 225/45 tires will give you best comfort.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
been awhile, gent!
I have DG springs with neuspeed RS10 18x8 and conti extremecontact dws06+ 235/40-18, also FSB and RSB on my 2017 GTI S manual. Car will never see track days, I just want something comfortable, so should I look into B6 or even B4? (not sure since DG isn't stock but not exactly lower springs either :D)
thx in adv
At this point with the sways I'd think you want a bit more damper, how about Koni special actives?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
At this point with the sways I'd think you want a bit more damper, how about Koni special actives?
They're a great shock.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Great information in this thread. I’m looking to refresh my suspension and I’m currently on EMD springs and the stock strut/shock. I’m at 67k miles and maybe have had the EMD’s on for 50K miles and for what they are they have done the job. I like the stance they give but admit the drive can be uneasy on bad bumps. Though where I live, south fla, the roads are near perfect and the ride quality doesn’t suffer much.

Though I’m looking for an upgrade as my strut bearings are on the way out. I thought might as well do a suspension overhall or refresh.

Here are the options I’m weighing for my MK7 Golf R (no DCC):

1. Koni Yellows and keep the EMD Springs. This is what pretty much everyone is recommending based on how soft these springs are. Thing is, I don’t really want to deal with any adjustments on the strut or shock. It’s my cheapest option though.

I do like the stance with the EMD springs so I’d like to find a spring with a similar drop.

2. Neuspeed Sport or H&R Sport Springs w/Bilstein B8’s. I can’t seem to decide between the Neuspeed and H&R but they appear to have a similar drop to the EMD springs and both seems to be a good combo aside from the potential of a little crashing on hard bumps.

3. Bilstein B16 Coilovers. This was I was originally going to go with but I really don’t want to spend this much and also don’t want to mess with adjustments.

Just sharing my thoughts and hope make a decision soon so I can have my suspension upgraded before my trip to WITW in April…

tigeo

Autocross Champion
1. Koni Yellows and keep the EMD Springs. This is what pretty much everyone is recommending based on how soft these springs are. Thing is, I don’t really want to deal with any adjustments on the strut or shock. It’s my cheapest option though.
You won't, you'll set it once and likely never touch it again, lots of guidance out there on Koni Sports on where to set them. F. is super easy anyway, rear not so much but not that big of a deal.
I do like the stance with the EMD springs so I’d like to find a spring with a similar drop.

2. Neuspeed Sport or H&R Sport Springs w/Bilstein B8’s. I can’t seem to decide between the Neuspeed and H&R but they appear to have a similar drop to the EMD springs and both seems to be a good combo aside from the potential of a little crashing on hard bumps.
The lower the drop, the more frequently you will bottom out, there is no escaping this with drop springs without upping the rates a lot and almost all lowering springs are mild rate increases over stock. If you go with springs like H&R or Eibach, this will be minimzed b/c these companies actually engineer this stuff vs. EMD.
3. Bilstein B16 Coilovers. This was I was originally going to go with but I really don’t want to spend this much and also don’t want to mess with adjustments.
This is overkill. If you want Bilstein coilovers, look at the B14. As above, you'll set them once and never touch them again. Nice thing since the ride height is important to you, you get to set it vs. get what you get with springs. Dampers are appropriate for the springs.

UranoMausBosch

Car(s)
19eGolfSE
@Hammersticks (et al) -
*Huge* thanks for a sane and sensible "Beginners guide to street suspension"!
I've got 2019 eGolf (1-year owned thus far) "comfy" but not "sporty" with unsettling underdamped behavior in dips while cornering, etc.
I guess I am trying to create my own "GT-E" (non-hybrid) - more "sport" than stock eGolf, but still street driven/driveable/family-friendly, etc. like an EV GTi or EV-R...
Keeping stock size 16" wheels but upgrading to Audi d2 Wintefelgen (Forged Fuchs) in 16x7 - about 3+lbs lighter/wheel, nice look (similar to Astana stock wheels) and perfect fit.
I knew I wanted Koni Sports, even though not for "frequent adjustment" but rather "set to preference" and "plays very well with lowering while being compliant".
Was initially thinking Neuspeed, but those are progressive and rates are *high* (260F 290R - or basically *double* front 130lb rate of eGolf) with more "drop" than desired or practical.
You and others kept mentioning "EU Eibach with Koni" is "niiiice".
Just received EU Eibach E10-85-041-04-22 non-progressive eGolf springs (with bumpstops!) from eBay site "RallyShopWorld" in Poland (yeah, I was nervous - but arrived in 3-days, UPS air, no extra freight fees/charges and all looks legit!)
Final bits are Whiteline alloy lower control arms - reduce unsprung weight and add a bit more caster. Not really looking for additional camber - just the on-center/in-corner benefits of caster.
Rear Whiteline adjustable 22mm bar (not too much change from factory 20mm) and an alignment.
>> Your (or other forum) thoughts on 225/50-16 tires vs stock 205/55 on the Audi wheels? Yes, tires are absolutely part of suspension in my opinion.
Either size in Conti DWS that I really like (actually grip, quiet and basically no range decrease from worthless Ecopia tires)
Again - Many thanks for trying lotsa stuff and posting about it! I unashamedly reference your collective experience rather than trial-n-error on my own!

bajaDean

Car(s)
mk4s TDI, MK7 TDI
Shocks and such, for mk7, and my conditions, pot holes, speed bumps, washboard sand/dirt roads, dusty conditions. Car is 6 years old 50k miles. Would like less jarring ride. budget is about USD$800 ideally for materials.

moved to 15 inch rims last year 215 60 r15 huge difference from the 17 inch rims. No longer getting 3 wrecked tires per year so you understand the pot hole issues. added decent aluminum skid plate recently. While we have one stop sign in 30 miles from me, there are about 7 speed bumps starting 400 meters each way some worse than others. I do have a 2000 foot steep mountain grade up and down to hit the main town I have to go to to drop off my kids to school on monday and pick up friday. Two lane narrow no shoulder 15 miles at the top are curves and hills with open range cows, so driving over it at night is a no no, maybe 2 times a year.

I swear my mk4s have a better feel-comfort level. and they just have the autozone low end but new, with all bushings and mounts replaced.. Just did the autozone shocks struts and really comfy over the speed bumps and nice drive. The answer is probably on one of the 22 pages, just read three. As dyslexic 22 pages is a bit past my paygrade.