GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Installed - Deka ETX18L and Custom Bracket

Druonu

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Replaced the battery in my GTI and made a custom bracket to fit a Deka ETX18L that I got on sale. It fits in the battery tray and is held down with the bolt for the factory battery bracket. Total setup weighs about 19lbs.

Attachments

• IMG-0971.JPG
    IMG-0971.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG-0981.JPG
    IMG-0981.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG-0982.JPG
    IMG-0982.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG-0985.JPG
    IMG-0985.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 712

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I just installed a ETX20L which I think is rated a little less than this and sits at 15lbs. I trickle charge it everyday and carry a battery pack/jumper set in the back just in case.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I just installed a ETX20L which I think is rated a little less than this and sits at 15lbs. I trickle charge it everyday and carry a battery pack/jumper set in the back just in case.

So you fitted a way smaller battery...& to compensate for the reduced battery capacity you carry a battery pack/jumper unit in the boot of the car....

So you are probably carrying the same amount or more weight...

but you have removed some of it from the nose & put it in the boot...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
So you fitted a way smaller battery...& to compensate for the reduced battery capacity you carry a battery pack/jumper unit in the boot of the car....

So you are probably carrying the same amount or more weight...

but you have removed some of it from the nose & put it in the boot...
Going for 50/50 weight distribution?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
No offense but you chose a cheap solution to an expensive problem.

I used to run these batteries in my 500whp Talon as a broke college kid. They never lasted more than 8-10 months and the car was always dead if it sat more than a few days...and that was a simple car with very little electrical demand.

I realize good lightweight batteries are expensive, but this is just not something I'd ever cheap out on for a daily driver. Weight reduction (if you're going to do it right) is very costly.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
props for doing it; but man... to save like 20 lbs and pay like 500 or more dollars... got damm! I love the idea of a super lightweight car but cutting weight by .006% just doesn't do it for me haha.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
These types of posts remind me a bit of riding motorcycles. You'd see some pretty heavy guys looking for ways to shave off some weight here and there from their bikes. I ended up talking about dropping like 30lbs from my SV650 and people thought I stripped the damn thing. I ended up taking up cycling :D

But seriously dropping weight is good. There are generally easier ways to go about doing it for most people. The car battery is one area I'm almost in favor of going a bit bigger to not worry about cold/high draw needs.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I had an ETX20L in my Miata. That thing also died pretty quickly, even with a trickle charger.

I would only go with a Lithium battery like Diggs did above. AGM isn't worth it imo.