GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Base mk7.5 system with JL C1 650 and JBL GTO 629

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Looks like the JL C1s are out of stock at a lot of places. I managed to order the component set for the front now I just need the coaxials for the rears.

You won't be disappointed.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a Helix sub so I'm going to need bass blockers. Where can I find 100 Hz or 80 Hz blockers? Crutchfield has some nice ones but the lowest they have is 150 Hz.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007BB150/Crutchfield-Bass-Blockers-150-Hz-cut-off.html

blockers.

Ok I found some 85 Hz bass blockers but they don't come with spade terminals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PCS-BASS...995710&hash=item3f9374fcc4:g:lwIAAOSwWMhaeKA6

I'm having the same issue as you. Shouldn't be this hard to find 100hz bass

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
It took three sessions with my friend to install the front and rears plus add sound deadening. Not sure if it was really worth it but there's more clarity with the JL C1s. I ended up using the 85hz bass blockers I listed above since the 100hz were a lot more expensive. I didn't realize the rear speakers were components as well so I just left the rear stock tweeters unplugged. I would recommend for most people to just get the Helix sub and stick with the stock speakers.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It took three sessions with my friend to install the front and rears plus add sound deadening. Not sure if it was really worth it but there's more clarity with the JL C1s. I ended up using the 85hz bass blockers I listed above since the 100hz were a lot more expensive. I didn't realize the rear speakers were components as well so I just left the rear stock tweeters unplugged. I would recommend for most people to just get the Helix sub and stick with the stock speakers.

My rears weren't components, it was a 2 way. Was your car a base or the fender system? Because there is a huge difference with these on the base system.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
My rears weren't components, it was a 2 way. Was your car a base or the fender system? Because there is a huge difference with these on the base system.

I have a 2017 S base model. I may have the terms mixed up but in the rear the tweeter and woofer were separate (component?) but I bought coaxial. I guess they changed it at some point or for your trim.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
I haven’t had mine apart, but there looks to be nothing behind the tweeter grilles on my rear doors. I have a white 2019 Rabbit Edition and I can see white (paint I presume) behind it if I shine a bright light into it.

Probably more of the cost cutting they did with the 7.5s.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a 2017 S base model. I may have the terms mixed up but in the rear the tweeter and woofer were separate (component?) but I bought coaxial. I guess they changed it at some point or for your trim.

Yeah, both of my mk7.5's have components in the front, coaxials in the rear. There must be a difference between mk7 and mk7.5 speakers, because the C1's made a massive noticeable difference in my car. Like night and day.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Yeah, both of my mk7.5's have components in the front, coaxials in the rear. There must be a difference between mk7 and mk7.5 speakers, because the C1's made a massive noticeable difference in my car. Like night and day.

Possible VW cost cutting shenanigans. There is a noticeable difference with the C1s but maybe with the Helix sub already it wasn’t as big a jump in difference.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Possible VW cost cutting shenanigans. There is a noticeable difference with the C1s but maybe with the Helix sub already it wasn’t as big a jump in difference.

I get much clearer and dynamic sound, good mid bass, and much louder when driven off head unit, due to speakers being higher sensitivity. I'm actually trying to find a wrecked Golf with the Helix sub I can get.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I get much clearer and dynamic sound, good mid bass, and much louder when driven off head unit, due to speakers being higher sensitivity. I'm actually trying to find a wrecked Golf with the Helix sub I can get.

It could be cheaper to buy new right now with the Dec 15% off and the rebate. Check pricing at Vw of Murrieta or Ontario Vw both in CA.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Finally got started on this last night. Only got through the driver door, mostly because it's cold out there and I'm an old man. :) One door panel clip broke one of its catches, but two of them stayed put so it seems fine to reuse. I wrapped the wiring with Tesa tape. @GTIfan99 your guidance in this thread was really helpful so far, thanks.

The mounting clips that came with the C1s barely worked to hold the spacers on - but I think that's actually good. Means they probably bent around the lip on the sheetmetal a little but and should hold pretty tightly. Was just tough to get the screw threaded at first.

Definitely worth marking and drilling the spacers before going ahead with the install.

My 6yo and I are going out to pick up a hot glue gun today so I can put the tweeters in tonight. Thought we had one but I can't find it anywhere.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Finally got started on this last night. Only got through the driver door, mostly because it's cold out there and I'm an old man. :) One door panel clip broke one of its catches, but two of them stayed put so it seems fine to reuse. I wrapped the wiring with Tesa tape. @GTIfan99 your guidance in this thread was really helpful so far, thanks.

The mounting clips that came with the C1s barely worked to hold the spacers on - but I think that's actually good. Means they probably bent around the lip on the sheetmetal a little but and should hold pretty tightly. Was just tough to get the screw threaded at first.

Definitely worth marking and drilling the spacers before going ahead with the install.

My 6yo and I are going out to pick up a hot glue gun today so I can put the tweeters in tonight. Thought we had one but I can't find it anywhere.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Well, right now my thoughts are “I can’t believe I bought the wrong diameter glue sticks for my hot glue gun.” Was distracted by my 6yo when placing the order. Back to Lowe’s.

While I’m at it - I assume you cut the factory harness for the tweeters just before it’s plastic connector? I have some posi-twist connectors to use for that.

Second door went a lot easier than the first, and the first a pillar was easier than I thought. Maybe putting it back in is going to be an ordeal. :) The clips VW uses for the door panels are really clever. Way easier than pretty much every other car I’ve had.

That’s all for now, back to playing with some legos and teaching someone how to ride a bicycle. Thanks for the moral support.