GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Base mk7.5 system with JL C1 650 and JBL GTO 629

boston_chris

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Hmm. So I finished installing front speakers, and I’ve realized that I now get staticky distortion in the tweeters whenever bass hits. It seems to get worse as I increase the volume but I’d say it’s noticeable even at 30% volume, default EQ.

It’s also present in the rear speakers I haven’t touched yet. So I guess maybe this was an issue all along, or I managed to break all the speakers somehow.

Anyone have any thoughts? Some quick internet research suggests I could have a partial short somewhere. Or perhaps I’m just maxing out the built-in amp?

Last edited:

boston_chris

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Hmm. So I finished installing front speakers, and I’ve realized that I now get staticky distortion in the tweeters whenever bass hits. It seems to get worse as I increase the volume but I’d say it’s noticeable even at 30% volume, default EQ.

It’s also present in the rear speakers I haven’t touched yet. So I guess maybe this was an issue all along, or I managed to break all the speakers somehow.

Anyone have any thoughts? Some quick internet research suggests I could have a partial short somewhere. Or perhaps I’m just maxing out the built-in amp?
This doesn’t happen over Bluetooth though. I guess the CarPlay audio in is just fucked in this car. Now that I have a bit more clarity I can hear it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This doesn’t happen over Bluetooth though. I guess the CarPlay audio in is just fucked in this car. Now that I have a bit more clarity I can hear it.
Same difference between CarPlay and other sources, CD or high quality rip on SD Card? That would narrow down the problem to CarPlay for sure... not that it makes much difference if CarPlay is where you play your music.

I don't have an iPhone but I don't find that bluetooth sounds all that different from Android Auto (wired or wireless with the dongle). I was hoping I would hear a difference but bluetooth may not be the limiting factor when it comes to mobile streaming. Youtube music (over Bluetooth) sounds a bit better when set to only stream high quality. I don't have any high quality ripped music to try but CD's sound noticeably better than anything else.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm using AA and don't have that issue up to 50% volume, but you're basically maxing out the factory HU amp in the base system at just over 50% volume. Anything above that, the highs and mids get muddy and the base drops off.

But even at 50% volume, they're louder than the stock speakers were at full volume, due to the higher sensitivity of the JL speakers.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I wonder what's causing the problems at over 50% volume 🧐. I'm feeding factory HU output into my DSP.

The rta shows no clipping at max volume. As I'm typing this I realize that is no clipping but also no speaker load. May have answered my own curiosity.