GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Base mk7.5 system with JL C1 650 and JBL GTO 629

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
I followed the advice on here and am upgrading to C1's all around...I do have the Helix sub upgrade already. All on a car that used to be my daily...lol! ;)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I followed the advice on here and am upgrading to C1's all around...I do have the Helix sub upgrade already. All on a car that used to be my daily...lol! ;)

Awesome, can't wait to hear your impressions.

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
Ok, so I ran into a bit of a snag. From what I can tell, this was a pre-existing problem and I just now realized it due to the speaker install. My passenger side rear speaker does not emit any sound at all. I originally assumed it was the new speaker, but after troubleshooting I have found there is nothing coming from the the passenger rear, even when i reinstalled the stock speaker. I used speaker adapter harnesses and tried an extra I had...nothing. I do have the Helix sub upgrade installed. I really have no idea how to begin troubleshooting this, but my guess is I'm going to have to take the Helix upgrade out.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sounds like the Helix amp or the head unit not sending a signal, that or the wire was cut somewhere in between.

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
Sounds like the Helix amp or the head unit not sending a signal, that or the wire was cut somewhere in between.
I definitely didn't cut anything, but I will have to go back and check it all out.

otherwise the speakers sound great. Honestly they hit so hard bass wise I may just take the Helix setup out once I finish troubleshooting.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I definitely didn't cut anything, but I will have to go back and check it all out.

otherwise the speakers sound great. Honestly they hit so hard bass wise I may just take the Helix setup out once I finish troubleshooting.

Did you do full JL C1 or did you do the JBL GTO premiums in the rear?

I wouldn't remove the helix, as that's part of why they are hitting so hard. I doubt they sound exactly the same driven by just the HU.

I hope it's something simple like a pin that isn't making contact. Good luck.

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
I did full JL C1s, but I haven't installed the front tweeters yet.

I want to get this issue sorted before I go any further.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I did full JL C1s, but I haven't installed the front tweeters yet.

I want to get this issue sorted before I go any further.

I'm so impressed with the C1's in front, I'm probably going to do them in the rear too. They're ridiculously good for the money.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
So before I proceed, if GTIfan99 is still reading, I’ve got a question. I know nearly nothing about this stuff and embarrassingly don’t know how to ask, so, here goes.

How does one split the signal between woofer and tweeter? All I see in the JL a kit is a device that goes near the tweeter. Are there two devices that get wired into the inputs to each speaker, for a total of four? Or is the head unit doing all the crossover stuff for us?

The phrase “high pass filter” implies, to my uneducated brain, that only the high frequencies are let through to the tweeter. Does the rest of the signal get dropped?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge here but I feel like it might be better to ask than try to figure it out myself. The terminology is foreign to me.

Also a Rabbit edition with the Composition Media base system, FWIW.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So before I proceed, if GTIfan99 is still reading, I’ve got a question. I know nearly nothing about this stuff and embarrassingly don’t know how to ask, so, here goes.

How does one split the signal between woofer and tweeter? All I see in the JL a kit is a device that goes near the tweeter. Are there two devices that get wired into the inputs to each speaker, for a total of four? Or is the head unit doing all the crossover stuff for us?

The phrase “high pass filter” implies, to my uneducated brain, that only the high frequencies are let through to the tweeter. Does the rest of the signal get dropped?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge here but I feel like it might be better to ask than try to figure it out myself. The terminology is foreign to me.

Also a Rabbit edition with the Composition Media base system, FWIW.

There's nothing to do, brother. You don't have to spit anything. The high pass filter takes care of the tweeter and you don't need to do anything for the woofer. If you plan on putting in a sub, you can add 100hz filters on the woofers. If not, just plug them in.

Tim2K20GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
I'm so impressed with the C1's in front, I'm probably going to do them in the rear too. They're ridiculously good for the money.

Are you satisfied with the sound that you're getting now? One of the few things that I don't like with my GTI is the sound. I don't really want to install an amp but it's always hard to tell what you're going to get with aftermarket speakers and the factory head unit. Installing the JL C1s in the front and rear seems like a good option.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are you satisfied with the sound that you're getting now? One of the few things that I don't like with my GTI is the sound. I don't really want to install an amp but it's always hard to tell what you're going to get with aftermarket speakers and the factory head unit. Installing the JL C1s in the front and rear seems like a good option.

They sound amazing, hit hard, smooth highs, up to 6/10th volume. After that, the base head unit can't drive them without it getting messy. But that's loud and they sound fantastic up until that point.

They sound so much better than the stock speakers, especially with a good source.

Tim2K20GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
They sound amazing, hit hard, smooth highs, up to 6/10th volume. After that, the base head unit can't drive them without it getting messy. But that's loud and they sound fantastic up until that point.

They sound so much better than the stock speakers, especially with a good source.

Thanks! I don't need loud. I just want good quality sound.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks! I don't need loud. I just want good quality sound.

Then you will love the JL C1's. I almost left the stock tweeters, because after I replaced the woofers, it sounded so much better, but don't settle. The C1 tweeters sound so good.

The top clip of the a pillar trim is the hardest part. Pull the first stage, then get long, thin pliers and grasp the top clip, you'll be going in at the top, between the trim and metal of the a pilar and pull it upward.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Looks like the JL C1s are out of stock at a lot of places. I managed to order the component set for the front now I just need the coaxials for the rears.