GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Base mk7.5 system with JL C1 650 and JBL GTO 629

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was looking to do an inexpensive, easy upgrade to the factory base system and didn't want to add a lot of weight. I decided to start with speakers and decide if I needed more.

I did the woofers and tweeters in front first, huge difference, but the rears were still awful, which meant I had to fade to the front.

A week later I did the rears, and together, they sound really good, and I'm on the fence on whether to I need to add the Cerwin Vega amped sub. I'll give everything a week break in, but I'll say now, the fractory speakers are complete garbage. I spent $139 on the C1's (they're $179 on Amazon now, still $139 from other sources) and $108 on the JBL's.

This is the video I used and the parts. I used the metal c clips from the speakers over the factory holes and the provided screws to hold spacers to car. I ran the speaker wires for the drivers through the taped over hole right next to the speaker hole. You'll have to drill speaker mounting holes after marking the spacers, but do that before mounting the spacers. The tweeters I did exactly as in the video, but the JL inline crossover is bigger than what they used in the video. So either buy a similar one to the video or just be patient and remove some of the extra wire and secured in the trim with hot glue. I used a zip tie to hold excess wiring that I didn't trim on the tweeter side.

Only thing else I had to buy was male speaker connectors.

Rears go in same way, but my car came with 2 way speakers in the rear, and there's a rounded area where I ran wires between spacers to the speakers.

I'll update if I end up doing the Cerwin Vega spare tire powered sub, but I'm super happy so far for so little cost and effort. I'll probably do my son's 2018 also.

On an interesting note, the C1's hit much lower notes, the JBL's don't hit as low, but produce more bass if that makes sense. You can see in the pictures the JBL's woofer cone is significantly larger diameter. Within minutes, they really started to loosen up and move some air.

Attachments

• 20200522_120246.jpg
    20200522_120246.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 764
  • 20200516_154602.jpg
    20200516_154602.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 762
  • 20200530_152057.jpg
    20200530_152057.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 761
  • Screenshot_20200521-095257_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-095257_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 786
  • Screenshot_20200521-095216_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-095216_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Great job. Im happy you're happy with it. Im sure it sounds way better even with coax in the rear down low. They'll sound even better if you amp them all, cross them at 90hz and add a sub to handle the low end.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Did you do a amp with those speakers?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Did you do a amp with those speakers?

Right now, they're all driven off stock head unit. Above 3/4 volume, you can tell the HU doesn't have the ability to drive them, but I could only turn half volume before the stock speakers sounded like a they were playing in a bucket of muddy water. Both of these speakers are 93 sensitivity, so they're louder at half volume than the stock were.

Still undercided on an amp, I just don't know how far I want to go with this. It's an autocross and track car, so it sounds almost good enough as it is.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Try dropping the bass on the eq. They're probably trying to get lower than they should as there's no low filter to the 6.5.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Try dropping the bass on the eq. They're probably trying to get lower than they should as there's no low filter to the 6.5.

The JBL's look like they have a filter. Couldn't a just add a filter for the JL's?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
The capacitor in the jbl is likely a high pass filter for the tweeter similar to the one for the jl in the a pillar. That muddy water sound is either clipping from the mib or too low freq coming through the cones. Clipping is more distortion or maybe a honking sound. I mean, you're not blasting 100w to them without a filter. The mib does roll off at about 25-30 hz from my readings. Maybe a bass blocker at 50hz to 80hz with a 12db or 6db slope would eliminate the noise but it would come at the cost of losing bass. Are the jbl 2 or 4 ohm? If 2, then the mib is doubling the power to them and will clip. You'd want to fade forward a few clicks to avoid that.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The jbl are 3 ohm. I'll try fading forward and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I’ve got a Rabbit Edition too, which I really like but for the stereo. We’re on a road trip in the wife’s Q5, and it’s B&O audio makes me wish for something better. What you’ve posted seems right up my alley, a simple way to start.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I’ve got a Rabbit Edition too, which I really like but for the stereo. We’re on a road trip in the wife’s Q5, and it’s B&O audio makes me wish for something better. What you’ve posted seems right up my alley, a simple way to start.

This would be a much better set and forget setup it adds a amp to the factory speakers and you get a sub

https://www.shopdap.com/sound-sys-vw-audi.html

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This would be a much better set and forget setup it adds a amp to the factory speakers and you get a sub

https://www.shopdap.com/sound-sys-vw-audi.html

So you've compared JL C1's to factory speakers with the added helix amp and sub?

I didn't think so.

I've listened to them back to back, mine sounds much better, but need a little more bass, so I'm going to add a powered sub. I'll end up spending the same money and it sounds so much better.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

If I were to do it again, I'd skip the JBL's in the rear and do JL C1 6.5" 2 ways back there, along with the C1 components in the front. Lesson learned. If you're going to do the cerwin vega powered sub, then add some 100 or 150hz capacitors to the door speakers during install.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
For my use case I think the simple front door speaker upgrade looks like the move. I’m going to try it first.

The Helix integrated sub/amp thing seems cool, but it’s also 2-3x the cost compared to the simple speaker upgrade. If I’d had the car back when VW was closing those out I might’ve thrown down on one.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I've just recently started looking into upgrading my sound system and this is pretty much exactly what I had in mind as far as budget, performance and amount of work. The powered sub was the only thing I already had (kinda) figured out, so thank you GTIfan for the speaker suggestions and information.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
For my use case I think the simple front door speaker upgrade looks like the move. I’m going to try it first.

The Helix integrated sub/amp thing seems cool, but it’s also 2-3x the cost compared to the simple speaker upgrade. If I’d had the car back when VW was closing those out I might’ve thrown down on one.

I was planning the same, but the rear speakers ruined the sound, even as just low level fill.

I decided on the JBL GTO premiums for the rear because I used them in my old Miata, but like I said, In hindsight, I should have done the 2 way C1's in back. The C1's hit lower and are tighter. I can't believe how inexpensive they are for the sound you get.