GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bäsemödel: 1.8 TSi Project

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I'm not judging, it does look cool I was was just curious. You know some cars had black bumper covers also.....

Didn't think you were judging :D

Yeah usually black = lower end. Thought about trying silver like the R but I don't really have silver anywhere else on the car that I wanted to highlight.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Bäsemodel - do you have any more pictures you could share that show the brackets for those sideskirts in more detail? In your option is there any way a two-sided adhesive could support the bracket/sideskirt combo?

Pegs are obviously the stronger option - I haven't had confirmation but it sounds like this is how the OEM skirts are fitted on the GTI as well?

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Bäsemodel - do you have any more pictures you could share that show the brackets for those sideskirts in more detail? In your option is there any way a two-sided adhesive could support the bracket/sideskirt combo?

Pegs are obviously the stronger option - I haven't had confirmation but it sounds like this is how the OEM skirts are fitted on the GTI as well?

Well the best thing would be to check the eBay listing for pics. The tape could work but I've not used it so idk how well it would hold up. It's thickness may be a disadvantage.

The GTI skirts are installed with the pins from the factory.

I suppose there's no risk in you tying the tape and if it's doesn't work you can use the pins. Good luck!

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Well the best thing would be to check the eBay listing for pics. The tape could work but I've not used it so idk how well it would hold up. It's thickness may be a disadvantage.

The GTI skirts are installed with the pins from the factory.

I suppose there's no risk in you tying the tape and if it's doesn't work you can use the pins. Good luck!

The more I thought about it and examined the associated parts (in pics etc), mounting to the rocker via pins is in fact the best route.. When I do I will treat the inside of the rockers as well as the exposed metal. Wondering if GTI rockers are drilled at factory befor or after paint? Most likely prior.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
The more I thought about it and examined the associated parts (in pics etc), mounting to the rocker via pins is in fact the best route.. When I do I will treat the inside of the rockers as well as the exposed metal. Wondering if GTI rockers are drilled at factory befor or after paint? Most likely prior.

Yeah it would make sense to work on everything as few times as possible. I imagine it's prior.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Installed the blind spot/extended view drivers door mirror glass. It's a nice upgrade and does provide the stated benefit of reducing blind spots. Taking some getting used to though. Bit of a funhouse effect if you look at it real quick but I'm sure after a few weeks of adjustment I won't notice it as much.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
here we go!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,736
Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
One more.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,621
Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Great news! Lots of little things getting fixed up! New center caps are coming to replace the current ones which look like they have toothpaste all over them. aFe dry filter has been ordered and will arrive soon. That in combo with the snow guard removal should yield some nice results. For the biggest news of the day:

I fixed the front drivers side noises!!!!!!!!! Thanks to this tutorial:
https://store.034motorsport.com/doc...-mount-installation-guide-034-601-1007-sd.pdf

I discovered the cap on the outside of the car at the cowl that gives me access to the strut nut. Using a 21mm spark plug socket and a 7mm allen key, i was able to crank down on what was a very loose strut top nut. Went for a test drive and found the noise to be 99% gone!! all thats left is a very slight, instant, high pitched "SQUEAK" over large bumps or heavy compression. Not very loud but i notice it. However, I am thrilled to have lost a majority of the noise! Will continue to monitor tightness as time goes on. But its a good day for me! Free fix and hopefully no damaged parts that i'll need to replace!

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Awesome your strut noise is fixed!
That tutorial makes it look like the strut easily comes out of the knuckle when you use a spreader.. I struggled quite a bit and had to use a 2x4 to push the whole strut assembly up.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
aFe dry drop in and snow guard removal

Today my filter arrived so in it went! Install was very easy. Unbolt intake box, remove SAI, carefully move box top out of the way and remove the old filter. From there, i removed the snow guard. This wasn't too hard, just a little tension to release in the middle and then ends. The tension comes from the little clamps that are formed in the plastic. Just take it slow and you'll be fine. I rushed the third point and while I was prying it up the fourth point came unlocked and the whole guard popped up and hit me in the face.

I vacuumed out the box being careful to not allow anything to go above the top of the bottom half of the box. I dropped the new filter in a closed everything back up.

First impressions on sound: not a huge difference but a nice one. Maybe a 10-20% change. This includes removing the snow guard.

First impressions on power: pants dyno tells me that the power is coming on a bit quicker. Not that there is more power but quicker spool. Feels good. hard to rate a % difference but it certainly feels snappier. Maybe confirmation bias... Who knows... please excuse the images being in reverse order...

Attachments

• IMG_6316.JPG
    IMG_6316.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,527
  • IMG_6313.JPG
    IMG_6313.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,667
  • IMG_6312.JPG
    IMG_6312.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,499
  • IMG_6310.JPG
    IMG_6310.JPG