GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech HPFP DIY/Tips

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Is a HPFP upgrade needed for an IS38 GTI on Cobb? No access to ethanol.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
I am 1.8t, is38, UM tuned. I have a set of S3 injectors and the HPFP from a 2.0T to swap in. Would upgrading the pump allow me to run full e85 with UM's Proflex kit and custom tuning to work with the new HPFP and injectors? Trying to figure out if it makes sense to do this since the pump is already off the car.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
That's the opposite response I got from the shop I was using that did the initial tune. Said they could do custom tuning to accommodate the 2.0 HPFP on the 1.8. Should probably reach out to them direct, thanks

Hoon

Autocross Champion
That's the opposite response I got from the shop I was using that did the initial tune. Said they could do custom tuning to accommodate the 2.0 HPFP on the 1.8. Should probably reach out to them direct, thanks

UM doesn't like HPFPs (for good reasons). See what they say, but start planning for MPI.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
UM doesn't like HPFPs (for good reasons). See what they say, but start planning for MPI.

Damn, was really hoping I didn't have to do that, I'm only like $250 in now for the fuel upgrades, MPI is going to 4x. Was looking at the ROW intake manifold with the injectors, rail, and harness, then getting upgraded injectors for that. No drilling into my manifold, seems like a cleaner install. Anyone have good suggestion on where to source the larger injectors for that setup?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Damn, was really hoping I didn't have to do that, I'm only like $250 in now for the fuel upgrades, MPI is going to 4x. Was looking at the ROW intake manifold with the injectors, rail, and harness, then getting upgraded injectors for that. No drilling into my manifold, seems like a cleaner install. Anyone have good suggestion on where to source the larger injectors for that setup?
https://treperformance.com/i-18594044-genuine-bosch-110lb-ev14-fuel-injectors-0280158040-4.html

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Did this install today. I broke the stock retainer into about 5 pieces, lmao. If I were to do it again, I think I would pull the retainer up/off about 1mm, then go back and try to re-seat the bearing splitter tool to try and get it better wedged in between the spring and retainer, so it would apply even pressure across the retainer.

But like you said, not re-used anyways, oh well.

Definitely recommend an impact for the disassembly of the unit. I was doing it by hand at first and it was just starting to feel sketchy. About 1 ugga on a 18v impact was enough to get it loose.

Seems to be running fine, fuel pressure is a bit high/spikes in high rpm as talked about here with maestro tunes. But seems safe enough to drive easy until I get my Ecutek tune started.

Thanks for the DIY writeup.

Last edited: