GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech HPFP DIY/Tips

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That was fun. Car runs. Nothing blew up or caught fire. Success?

So the ebay pump I bought the brass line on the bottom got mangled in shipping. They should be sending another (or they said they will). Well, I decided to use it as a test before doing this on my own. That was great because I could figure out what to do without messing things up and I'm glad I did.

Ok, first off you don't need a press but it isn't easy to press that bearing out. First one I did it no problems. On my pump...SNAP. Broke the retainer. Good thing the autotech has it's own!

Tools needed:

vise grips
16mm wrench
16mm socket
18mm wrench (or socket)
long thick screwdriver or two
M10 triple square (This set has been great):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RS9L9J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bearing puller:

https://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-62593.html

Bench Vise
1/2" drive 1 1/16" deep socket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NHUS8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

breaker bar
impact gun (yup...)

REMOVAL

Autotech instructions for removal were spot on except no need to take off intake (mine is OEM). Just follow them. I found the vise grips helpful to squeeze the clamp for the rubber line. Gas will spray out from this, so wear glasses and pull hose towards you as it comes off so when it sprays it goes towards intake. I also opened the gas cap to relieve pressure.

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/10127103k.pdf

Use a good thick screwdriver to pry the lower line to the right while turning the pump counterclockwise to get the ball end of the fitting out of the brass threaded end. Once that line is off twist back and forth while pulling it and will come right out.

Once it's free clamp it down in a vice with some towels under it.

Now, this was SUPER helpful. I just happened upon it with my googlefu:

http://vortexperformance.co.za/images/mk7_hpfp_install.pdf

They walk through it using the bearing puller! Sweet. So, one downside...the spring is super stiff. You won't be able to get the edges of the puller perfectly under the retainer. Maybe someone smarter out there can figure it out but I was too afraid to mangle the spring since it is reused.

Here is someone using the puller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zurCUGh0uw

The hard part for us is keeping the itty bitty ball bearing on the tip centered on the shaft of the pump. It was very hard to keep centered and I had to jam a wrench in there and hold it next the threaded rod while turning. It sucked. I think because you can't get the puller 100% flat under the retainer is why mine broke. Oh well, not needed.

image by Diggs24, on Flickr

The 16mm ratchet and 16mm wrench are for the nuts on the sides of the puller to tighten. The 18mm is to turn the shaft on the top. The nuts on the top to hold bracket in place I think were 14mm? I just used my fingers.

At some point you will begin to pull the retainer up and it will pop and you're done. Loosen and take off puller. Spring, bearing and retainer you just pull out. Set them aside someplace clean as the spring is reused.

Now we get to use the special autotech tool (yes you need this) and your 1 1/16 deep socket. So, on my junk pump I tried this with a breaker. NO DICE! Stupid thing started rounding off. Not good for getting metal shards in the engine. There were some in my junk pump. Really not good. Good thing you can use either side. I just flipped it over.

So, this is where you need the impact. Good thing our socket we bought is 1/2" drive. Push down firmly and a quick pop of the trigger and she's loose. Worked perfectly on my good pump (whew) with no shards or rounding. Hand screw it out. Take out old piston and set aside.

Lube up your autotech piston with some oil and put it in the housing just like the guide (page 10/19). Put housing back into pump and hand tighten. Here I did not use an impact but instead breaker bar. I don't know what the torque is but tight is good (60 ft lbs I guess). Set spring in.

With Autotech pump they give you a retainer that is 2 pieces with a groove on the inside. The spring is super loose now so you just slide the two pieces and and push down and the 2 pieces clamp onto the piston and when you release tension will stay in place. Super easy.

FITTING

Pump is ready to go back in. This was harder than taking it out. Lube it up with some oil. You have to slide it in while using screwdriver to push lower line to the right then push down on pump to get the line and the brass fitting on the same plane. Once they engage you have to use screwdriver and jam it back to the left while turning pump clockwise so they both pop back into place. Now, for some reason the pump did not want to go back in to the block. DO NOT start threading the lower line yet. Align the holes with the threads on the engine block. Jam a screwdriver next to it to keep it aligned if needed. For some reason the pump did not want to go into the block, I could feel the spring give a bit but that was it. I pressed on....

Get your 2 M10 bolts and push the pump in while threading them in. They should thread in a few threads easily. If they don't you are not aligned! Don't cross thread these dumbass. Once they engage you can begin cranking them down 2-3 turns at a time. Upper left, lower right, upper left, lower right until the pump fully seats to engine. Tighten to like 40 ft lbs or something. Not super tight. Thread nut back on lower fitting and use 17mm wrench to tighten. Again, like 30lft blbs maybe. Then connect rubber line back with vise grips and hook electrical connector back on. Put gas cap back on and open and close drivers door a few times to prime pump. Start it up and check for leaks. Take it for a spin and make sure nothing catastrophic has happened.

Took me about 3 hours taking my time (and basically doing it twice).

Random pics of tools I used:

Have fun!

Last edited:

Joel

Ready to race!
Nice!
Have you done anything to your LPFP?
Wondering if the HPFP is more important for us ethanol lovers....

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
Phenomenal write up! Much appreciated! Very interested to see your logs once you get them. Will you be trying to up your E content? [emoji482]

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Haven't decided yet. Now that it's hot and AC is running mileage is suffering on E30. I just don't want to have to guess about my E content when I pump it. I may try full E85 just for shits and giggles. May end up being just as cheap as 93 as I think the delta is about 60 cents now. Just have to get gas more often.
We need more E85 pumps. All the new Casey's supposedly are getting them but none planned near me.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Nice write up! I remember having to replace the guts on my mazdaspeed 3 cdfp. Much easier On that platform lol. Guess if I go over 400 whp ill know how to do this job, Thanks Diggs

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah, lots of pump DIYs out there don't need bearing splitters, they come right out. Jealous.

Totally doable by us commoners. Just have to have the right tools. Not sure I'll use the bearing splitter again ($40) but it would have been way more $$$ for someone to do it for me. And I like learning things. Worth the $40 (and the $85 for the pump, so really a $125 learning lesson).

Also, garage was hot AF. 96 today. Sweated my sack off out there.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Yeah, lots of pump DIYs out there don't need bearing splitters, they come right out. Jealous.

Totally doable by us commoners. Just have to have the right tools. Not sure I'll use the bearing splitter again ($40) but it would have been way more $$$ for someone to do it for me. And I like learning things. Worth the $40 (and the $85 for the pump, so really a $125 learning lesson).

Also, garage was hot AF. 96 today. Sweated my sack off out there.

Diggs thanks for the write up brother. I have the day off, i have the autotech pump pieces in the garage but am not sure if i want to deal with this crap today lol. I also have a lpfp that i need to wait for a map from jon to even run. Was going to do it all at once, but might just do the hpfp first just to get it out of the way and i don't need anything special done to run it. Uggh decisions decisions...

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Diggs thanks for the write up brother. I have the day off, i have the autotech pump pieces in the garage but am not sure if i want to deal with this crap today lol. I also have a lpfp that i need to wait for a map from jon to even run. Was going to do it all at once, but might just do the hpfp first just to get it out of the way and i don't need anything special done to run it. Uggh decisions decisions...

Just do it so you aren't rushing the lpfp install. Car will run fine on hpfp without any mod to your tune. PM me if you have any questions or get stuck.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just do it so you aren't rushing the lpfp install. Car will run fine on hpfp without any mod to your tune. PM me if you have any questions or get stuck.

How much were you able to turn it up with the hpfp?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
So I went to the damn store and bought what I needed for the job. Diggs has a great write up, I followed what he did and read both instructions he posted. Job wasn't that bad, I did destroy my stock retainer (luckily we don't reuse it).

When inserting my pump back in, I used some pliers to kindof wedge against a support and push the fuel line back to where it needs to go and turn. Took no time at all, just got to give it a little extra love. Below are some pictures of the new parts inserted into the pump, and how I wedged the fuel line fitting back in.

Again thanks to Diggs for making this install alot easier for the rest of us.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Nice job and thanks for the added pics...wish I had taken more but I just wanted it done because I was sweating fiercely.

For future reference, tighten those M10 bolts down first before you go tightening that lower line. The line has a bit of up and down movement but you don't want to be tightening it at an angle lest you strip out the threads. That would suck.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Nice post. I'm curious, why you did this. I guess you got a bad fuel pump, bought one and fixed it. Not sure all the terminology hpfp lpfp. Assuming our cars with xxx hp require special fuel delivery systems. When would someone want to start to think about replacing the factory, around 400?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk