GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are Turbo Blankets Worth the Time and $?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Hah. I thought so.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
2 years and not at all.

The way it works is often like this: company farms their product to be manufactured by a Chinese 3rd party. Company provides 750 genuine "Disney" hologram labels or whatever motorsports labels, and enough material for 750 good ones plus oh, 250 bad ones. Chinese company makes 0 that don't pass qc, but "all 250 failures that we were allotted for happened" they produce "forged motorsports" on the same line, using the same material on the same machines with the same employees.

That's not always what happens, but that is what sometimes happens. Other times, if the company is sent materials that don't pass the qc, they'll make a separate knockoff run using the lower spec stuff. It's a crapshoot.

The $700 Eyeess thirty eight could be a ok. Or... not.

I hear ya there. Very often the case. Shiit for 12 dollars i migbt just have to do this haha

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Well, it won't catch fire. It just might not be quite as effective at containing the heat as the $160 cts turbo one (lol)

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Sitting in a box waiting for some day.

This guy already did some before & after temp measurements (if you scroll down a bit):

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7452545-Mxrider9239-Mk7-Golf-R-Build/page3

I don't have actual temp values, but I could feel my engine bay temps got seriously lowered with the blanket (when I open the hood after a drive); I installed it at the same time with the downpipe, and since my DP is ceramic coated the engine bay temp delta is probably a bit higher than with a 'naked' DP.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Came today. AliExpress VR Racing Titanium turbo blanket golf mk7*

I'm impressed with the initial quality, had very low expectations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Came today. AliExpress VR Racing Titanium turbo blanket golf mk7*

I'm impressed with the initial quality, had very low expectations.

I'm waiting for fitment comments

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Fitment was so so. What's the consensus with the wastegate? Over or under?

Removed O2 sensor to fish it in. I'm leaning towards not worth it with all the fiberglass in my hands and arms

See pictures

Last edited:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Doesn't the EA888.3 have a water-cooled exhaust manifold integrated to the head of engine that bring the exhaust temp down? this would make the effect of a blanket very negligible compare to a car with more traditional external exhaust manifold? Isn't it?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...kswagen-uses-a-water-cooled-exhaust-manifold/

http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=119

Water cooled exhaust manifold reduces EGTs but the hot side is still very hot indeed, just try putting your hand near the turbo housing after a drive. Blanket keeps hot side's heat there, instead of sharing it with the rest of the engine bay. If you read the comments, the blanket has a significant effect on engine bay temperatures generally.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Fitment was so so. What's the consensus with the wastegate? Over or under?

Removed O2 sensor to fish it in. I'm leaning towards not worth it with all the fiberglass in my hands and arms

maybe i'll just wait for an IS38 and wrap it prior to installation. I HATE fiberglass lol.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I have one on mine that I bought off eBay. Can’t say if it’s doing much.
Thing is, even a 2 size too big loose fitting $100 winter coat will hold a whole lot more heat against your skin than if you were walking around with no shirt.

As good as a $2000 boutique gortex lined sustainably sourced white wolf fur? Probably not.

maybe i'll just wait for an IS38 and wrap it prior to installation. I HATE fiberglass lol.

Hey, don't worry. Aliexpress? It's probably not fiberglass at all, but rather 100% friable asbestos fibers.