GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 GTI ECU Upgrade!

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Arin, I have a DSG and Im sort of concerned about premature clutch wear. Do you guys offer a safe detuned version of stage 1?

AFAIK you won't be getting premature clutch wear with DSG. APR has stated numerous times that they have tested the tune with the manual transmission without the clutch slipping so far.

If the manual clutch is holding up, you can be sure the DSG one will too.

artystamk7

Ready to race!
Thats great to know, its just that 380 ft-lbs sounds like alot of torque to handle for the transmission.
Arin- this may sound like a silly question, but my wife also drives the car, will this affect normal day to day driveability?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
With out any tq steer ? Or compromised handling ?
I have a MK5 (waiting for the MK7 R to arrive in the US) with the APR Stage 3+ kit. Torque steer is virtually absent, and I would expect the MK7 to be even better in this regard. Flooring it on a freeway on-ramp while holding the steering wheel with one hand is no problem -- you'll spin the tires, but the car won't yank the steering wheel out of your hands.

I have a Quaife LSD in my DSG, but even before adding it, torque steer was a non-issue. If you watch Top Gear UK, Jeremy Clarkson drove the MK7 GTI in last week's episode (I'm referring to the US broadcast schedule), and he commented on the fact that the car has no torque steer.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Congratulations Arin and job well done! The numbers are very impressive and you've submitted reasonable data to back it up. People often forget that the MK7 is noticeably lighter than the MK6 and that plays a big role for the time slips.

It is particularly noteworthy that the peak numbers between the PP and normal GTI are the same, meaning the stock file is completely overwritten, that means that the map will compensate for the "detuned" MK7 R, and gains will be identical to the Euro spec R :)

This has been asked several times so I'm going to add one count: what heads-up can you give us for the MK7 R? now that OBD tuning is confirmed for the Gen 3 EA888 I'm very close to placing an order to order the R :D

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
Arin, do you guys have any ideas how much power the motor will hold?

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
PP gains would be exactly the same as standard version bud. No decrease or increase. All the PP gives you is the fancy diff and a slightly better tune from VW which will be overwritten from APR once you flash.
No contradiction there at all :rolleyes:

Drakon1

Ready to race!
No contradiction there at all :rolleyes:

Similarly I would expect great gains in HP on the R but the jump will not be as huge as the jump the GTI got since both have the same base engine, of course the R has bigger turbo and other components but I suspect VW already pre-tuned the ECU on the R, prove me wrong APR... please

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Revo have already put out the figures for their R stage 1.
346-371 horses depending on fuel. Hardly stunning when you consider vw are considering an edition with 400hp