GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

tehfalcon

Is APR developing flex fuel options at all, specifically for the DTR6054? I'm having my HPFP/LPFP DTR re-tune on 93 octane done this coming Tuesday and my curiosity about E85 reached its peak. I watched a ShopDAP video about what flex fuel tuning is - always heard the term "flex fuel" thrown around but never knew what/how it actually works - and I'm beginning to get intrigued. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, I can use 93 octane like I normally do, then maybe blip a gallon or two of E85 (I managed to find two gas stations within about 20 or more minutes away) and the tune will readjust for the ethanol content?
Yes that’s exactly how flex works. You can run 91 all the way up to full e85 and the tune will adjust for it automatically. APR will never do this.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Small update: I got my car back from the shop today. Fueling and mounts on 93. It's about a 15-minute drive from my house to the shop with nothing but poorly-paved NYC streets. Turbo spool is noticeably louder than before (I'm happy), and it feels like there's increased boost compared to before when I was on stock fueling. I don't have to push my foot into the accelerator as much as before to get up to speed (city speed limit is 25mph) so I'm surprised about that. No, I don't have any throttle response plug-in tools FWIW. Purely ECU tune. I'll see what I can do about trying out the new top-end power but as the weather is clearing up here, there's been a lot of accidents lately. I don't have access to a dragy.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Small update: I got my car back from the shop today. Fueling and mounts on 93. It's about a 15-minute drive from my house to the shop with nothing but poorly-paved NYC streets. Turbo spool is noticeably louder than before (I'm happy), and it feels like there's increased boost compared to before when I was on stock fueling. I don't have to push my foot into the accelerator as much as before to get up to speed (city speed limit is 25mph) so I'm surprised about that. No, I don't have any throttle response plug-in tools FWIW. Purely ECU tune. I'll see what I can do about trying out the new top-end power but as the weather is clearing up here, there's been a lot of accidents lately. I don't have access to a dragy.
Still tuned with APR?

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Still tuned with APR?
Yep. Also forgot to mention, they checked for the "Full Send" files for my car, there wasn't any available. I never used launch control before since my OEM mounts were on their way out. I'll give it a whirl when I get the chance and see if I can upload a clip.

Edit: the planets must've aligned out of my favor. Traffic has been super heavy ever since I got my car back and I've had minimal chances to try out the top-end. Driveability is definitely improved with the increase in boost from fueling. The one or two times I did manage to get a full gear's worth of acceleration didn't feel all that much different, until I looked down at my speedometer. I now have to watch my speed more closely than I did with stock fueling.

Last edited:

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Curious to know if anyone else has been experiencing the same problem I've been experiencing lately.

I leave the car either in Race/Auto or Race/Manual and go for pulls - safely. When it reaches the rev limit to shift into the next gear, the car cuts power to less than stock levels when I'm still fully on the throttle. No error messages pop-up at all - no CEL, no EPC, no lights at all. It's just the car downshifts (in Race/Auto) and hits the limiter for a moment and upshifts, followed by a sudden loss of power. I'm still on the stock downpipe but am going to buy an ARM catted downpipe with a spacer when funds clear up.

Also to note, I pull over on a side street to turn the car off, turn it back on, and I suddenly have all the power back. It's been happening frequently. Yesterday and today as well.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've had at least one random instance like that, that I specifically remember. Downshifted to 4th to pass, and just as it hit boost and I cross lanes, power cut for a split second as if traction control came on or you accidentally upshift (but didn't), then kicked back in. Just a weird hiccup that I've never experienced and never been able to replicate since... no codes, no nothin.'

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Curious to know if anyone else has been experiencing the same problem I've been experiencing lately.

I leave the car either in Race/Auto or Race/Manual and go for pulls - safely. When it reaches the rev limit to shift into the next gear, the car cuts power to less than stock levels when I'm still fully on the throttle. No error messages pop-up at all - no CEL, no EPC, no lights at all. It's just the car downshifts (in Race/Auto) and hits the limiter for a moment and upshifts, followed by a sudden loss of power. I'm still on the stock downpipe but am going to buy an ARM catted downpipe with a spacer when funds clear up.

Also to note, I pull over on a side street to turn the car off, turn it back on, and I suddenly have all the power back. It's been happening frequently. Yesterday and today as well.
Any stored codes? You can still get a soft code, that wouldn't necessarily throw a CEL.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Any stored codes? You can still get a soft code, that wouldn't necessarily throw a CEL.
Not that I know of. The shop never had any error codes pop up for them when flashing my car for stock fueling or upgraded fueling. They also took my car out to road test everything prior to me picking my car up and nothing ever happened.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
It's a stop gap until I can afford HPA's VR550T lol.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Not that I know of. The shop never had any error codes pop up for them when flashing my car for stock fueling or upgraded fueling. They also took my car out to road test everything prior to me picking my car up and nothing ever happened.
I'm referring to after you experienced the power cut and had to cycle power to your car. That's when you would want to see if you had any DTCs stored. If you still don't have some way to log you're going to be chasing your tail trying to figure out what's going on. The other option is contact APR support and submit a ticket and go from there. I've since sold my car, but I ran the DTR for a bit over 30K miles and aside from the oddball ECU I had that got sorted out, I could pretty much beat the crap out of the thing without issue. I will say you really have to buy in on the whole concept of this turbo/tune that APR was going for and accept some of the compromises. If not you're probably going to be a somewhat disappointed. It seems like if you go with a custom tune, downpipe, and really turn the wick up on this turbo it can hold its own against comparable setups. Based on some of your posts it seems like the DTR in its intended form from APR wasn't what you really wanted at the end of the day.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I'm referring to after you experienced the power cut and had to cycle power to your car. That's when you would want to see if you had any DTCs stored. If you still don't have some way to log you're going to be chasing your tail trying to figure out what's going on. The other option is contact APR support and submit a ticket and go from there. I've since sold my car, but I ran the DTR for a bit over 30K miles and aside from the oddball ECU I had that got sorted out, I could pretty much beat the crap out of the thing without issue. I will say you really have to buy in on the whole concept of this turbo/tune that APR was going for and accept some of the compromises. If not you're probably going to be a somewhat disappointed. It seems like if you go with a custom tune, downpipe, and really turn the wick up on this turbo it can hold its own against comparable setups. Based on some of your posts it seems like the DTR in its intended form from APR wasn't what you really wanted at the end of the day.
You're right about the last sentence. I was nervous about getting a Vortex after seeing three of them fail in the same week so I opted for this kit. It was disappointing being on stock fueling, but it's bearable with the upgraded fueling for the time being. I honestly wanted to not roll the dice with the stock IS38 when I learned it's a 50/50 shot of failure so I waited for the chance to get a more reliable turbo.

I'll look into opening a support ticket.