GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Still dunno why you'd buy just this kit. Presumably for emissions but we know that hasn't been fixed. So you might as well buy a lightly used IS38/downpipe and still have plenty left over for a decent tune.

As long as this is emission compliant and we can go through inspection with zero hassle, you folks that don't have to worry about emissions really need not apply to this and still to this day on page 289, scratch my head why any of you folks that don't care about emissions even chime in on this other than to really duke it out with APR's new product.

In NJ for example, some inspection stations you go to (Lodi for example) have under car cameras that snap a pic of your exhaust to match it up with OEM spec on a screen. You can literally see your car's underbody on a big tv screen as it drives over. Now, I know some of you guys in states that they roll coal all day don't give a fak, but others are restricted and this is marketed to them. If you can change your DP, there are 904352948 better configurations to do than this and I think everyone gets that. I still just don't know why there are so many arguments about people can still get away with using an A/M DP, spacer, IS38, bigger turbos etc. etc. when none of that applies to what APR was doing here.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
As long as this is emission compliant and we can go through inspection with zero hassle, you folks that don't have to worry about emissions really need not apply to this and still to this day on page 289, scratch my head why any of you folks that don't care about emissions even chime in on this other than to really duke it out with APR's new product.

In NJ for example, some inspection stations you go to (Lodi for example) have under car cameras that snap a pic of your exhaust to match it up with OEM spec on a screen. You can literally see your car's underbody on a big tv screen as it drives over. Now, I know some of you guys in states that they roll coal all day don't give a fak, but others are restricted and this is marketed to them. If you can change your DP, there are 904352948 better configurations to do than this and I think everyone gets that. I still just don't know why there are so many arguments about people can still get away with using an A/M DP, spacer, IS38, bigger turbos etc. etc. when none of that applies to what APR was doing here.
because it's been going for 300 pages and APR can't guarantee even guarantee readiness. and to think they were dangling a CARB exemption?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
because it's been going for 300 pages and APR can't guarantee even guarantee readiness. and to think they were dangling a CARB exemption?

Yeah but that's fine. Wait until APR chimes in on that. I'm still not sure why the alternate solution is to recommend going after market DP and using spacers and whatever when this was never about that. I think the focus should still be on whether this can pass emissions if advertised and APR should really care about that since it was marketed towards that.

mleroux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
987 Boxster
well if you're not gonna pass emissions anyway... might as well go faster for cheaper
Sigh. It seems as though the folks who are not in the predicament where this niche product is targeted directly towards them, are completely missing the point and derailing the thread with this pissing match talk.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

I'm following this just to find out if it delivers what it promises, which so far, not quite since so many people can't set readiness. I currently have a DP and spacer that lets me sneak through emissions, but DE is technically a CARB state, they just don't actually enforce it in the inspection lanes because they don't bother with anything beyond the OBD2 port. That could change at any time though; front window tint has always been illegal, but I went through inspection with it plenty of times with no issues until they decided to start enforcing it a few years back. If that happens, I'd be really interested in this kit.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Yeah but that's fine. Wait until APR chimes in on that. I'm still not sure why the alternate solution is to recommend going after market DP and using spacers and whatever when this was never about that. I think the focus should still be on whether this can pass emissions if advertised and APR should really care about that since it was marketed towards that.

well if you're not gonna pass emissions anyway... might as well go faster for cheaper

The point of the spacer is that you CAN pass emissions in many states. If you bought the DTR because of the main selling point of it being "CARB approved and you can pass smog no problem", then you got suckered. Not to mention the guys who found out AFTER they bought the turbo that they need to spend another $1200+ for the APR intercooler and intake to make the advertised power numbers.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Sigh. It seems as though the folks who are not in the predicament where this niche product is targeted directly towards them, are completely missing the point and derailing the thread with this pissing match talk.
Yet you’re participation is always involved in said pissing match that is a derailing of the thread😂

If you want to put it back on track post up your results with the kit 😂😂

Last edited:

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
So real talk, 2 years from now you guys think the DTR will go down as an MQB staple, a niche option, a major dud, or a forgotten footnote?
I think it could be the new "Stage 2", if APR does more tune revisions and gets cars to pass readiness. Until then, idk. It certainly offers more value than a DP alone does, especially with how expensive "CEL-free" DPs are now. Not everyone wants to mess with a spacer and hope the inspection tech doesn't look too hard.

EQT supposedly has a Stage 1 IS38 (stock dp) tune for the GTI in development, but I haven't seen anything new about it since the original blurb on their site.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think it could be the new "Stage 2", if APR does more tune revisions and gets cars to pass readiness. Until then, idk. It certainly offers more value than a DP alone does, especially with how expensive "CEL-free" DPs are now. Not everyone wants to mess with a spacer and hope the inspection tech doesn't look too hard.

EQT supposedly has a Stage 1 IS38 (stock dp) tune for the GTI in development, but I haven't seen anything new about it since the original blurb on their site.
The other bit in this convo is...it's always been illegal to change your cats to aftermarket ones, even GESI ones (yes, GESI cats are efficient enough to not throw a CEL but that's not the point here). So any non-OE catted DP on these cars is 100% 50-state illegal, always has been since I can remember. Any state that has a visual inspection for it can fail you if they want to regardless of your readiness, CELs, spacers, whatever. Stock DP/cats are the only truly legal option. So APR etc. are now dealing with it that way vs. tunes that are fOR ofFROAd USe oNly. Folks seem to think this is new - it's not...just getting more attention than it ever did. Even here in VA where we have only a safety inspection in my part of the state, the emissions system is still supposed to be inspected and you can fail for anyhing but the OE parts. So APR makes a tune for stock DP and supposed to not monkey with readiness, I say good for them. If you want to make huge power, this obviously isn't for you. audia3 seemed to be moving well in 90 degree temps with this setup and an IC...12.3 @113 that night was v. good and one of the faster cars there. Big V8s weren't trapping that. In cool weather that car should get up to 117 I would wager.

EDIT: Would have been killer to have an EQT-tuned/all the FBOs/whatever fuel/whatever turbo/whatever dp/dyno sheet number/blah blah blah there to see what it would do in those conditions.

Last edited:

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
After 300 pages, I’m still on the edge of my seat waiting to see if anyone has passed readiness! In the meantime, do you guys know where I can score some keto gummies?