GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
As noted above,

I was answering a GTI owners question, This setup is much more power than a stage 2 gti with a much wider power band….
Valid, with the exception of Stg2 E30 tunes. Corn love juice makes a big difference on just a jb4, never mind Stg2+

Which is a con of the DTR kit. Are APR worried that the 6054 will drink more E30 than the stock hpfp can serve, or something? Dunno, but I can't help but feel like lacking an ethanol based standard tune option is a big hindrance (mostly because I finally bought some barrels of e98 this summer, and I like it a lot...)

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think any ethanol tune on an APR ecosystem would be a huge inconvenience. Correct me if im wrong, but you are unable to change between files on your own which would make you locked on the ethanol blend / tune unless you visit the APR vendor again.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I think any ethanol tune on an APR ecosystem would be a huge inconvenience. Correct me if im wrong, but you are unable to change between files on your own which would make you locked on the ethanol blend / tune unless you visit the APR vendor again.
Yup… it’s the only reason I went unitronic over APR For my Tiguan, I wanted to do the stage 1 e85 tune from them but when I travel with the tiggy I need to be able to run 91, and the idea of going to my dealer for that is silly. So my best option was to have less power with a 93,91,87 at home option from uni.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Yup… it’s the only reason I went unitronic over APR For my Tiguan, I wanted to do the stage 1 e85 tune from them but when I travel with the tiggy I need to be able to run 91, and the idea of going to my dealer for that is silly. So my best option was to have less power with a 93,91,87 at home option from uni.
1st gen or 2nd gen Tiguan? If 2nd, can I PM you some questions?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Valid, with the exception of Stg2 E30 tunes. Corn love juice makes a big difference on just a jb4, never mind Stg2+

Which is a con of the DTR kit. Are APR worried that the 6054 will drink more E30 than the stock hpfp can serve, or something? Dunno, but I can't help but feel like lacking an ethanol based standard tune option is a big hindrance (mostly because I finally bought some barrels of e98 this summer, and I like it a lot...)
There are plenty of oranges to apples comparisons to bring in and about with fuel types, fair comparison is fuel for fuel, plus the person asking is running a 93 eqt tune, so good chance he’s not running the eqt e30 tune is cause he don’t have access.

And yeah APR noted early on that their offering for the GTI currently is only the kit with the no fueling upgrades cause (something silly) that’s they don’t feel the gti injectors or head or something like that can handle it.

For the R they offer the e85 tune (e60-85 content).

Im sure from a big wig company standpoint they don’t want to offer a blending tune and add in the user error factor.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I guess, although the fastest APR S1 on our quarter list ran E30, and the fastest S2 on the list ran E30. I guess there's still good benefit, even with just the ecu adapting to the better fuel, rather than being tuned for it specifically.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just scan obd.
should be able to pass with a downpipe and tune as long as you have a proper spacer... so unless you're concerned about a downpipe for some other reason I would go stage 2 EQT. cheaper and probably faster

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
should be able to pass with a downpipe and tune as long as you have a proper spacer... so unless you're concerned about a downpipe for some other reason I would go stage 2 EQT. cheaper and probably faster
No it won’t be faster. The 1/4 times we have for reference of the DTR are related to condition or driver error, dyno wise - a Dtr pump for pump makes considerably more power than a is20 stage 2 for a longer amount of time, just isn’t the Lower rpm TQ power house a stage 2 is20 is. Also, it’s @Treadup sticks with his same FMIC brand, his DP is gonna cost more than a DTR without even buying the $175 tune for the, so he’s gonna pay more for 20-30more hp in the end.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
No it won’t be faster. The 1/4 times we have for reference of the DTR are related to condition or driver error, dyno wise - a Dtr pump for pump makes considerably more power than a is20 stage 2 for a longer amount of time, just isn’t the Lower rpm TQ power house a stage 2 is20 is. Also, it’s @Treadup sticks with his same FMIC brand, his DP is gonna cost more than a DTR without even buying the $175 tune for the, so he’s gonna pay more for 20-30more hp in the end.
I had a Camaro SS take off in front of me this morning and I followed, only pulling in 4th as 3rd will slip. I was surprised how well I kept up. 3rd gear would have been much close but I was def thinking about the DTR at that point.
The price point of the DTR is nice and as much as I like Jake’s work and would probably stick with BAUN if I were planning on stage 2, the downpipe and mid pipe + tune is over $2k.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I had a Camaro SS take off in front of me this morning and I followed, only pulling in 4th as 3rd will slip. I was surprised how well I kept up. 3rd gear would have been much close but I was def thinking about the DTR at that point.
The price point of the DTR is nice and as much as I like Jake’s work and would probably stick with BAUN if I were planning on stage 2, the downpipe and mid pipe + tune is over $2k.
From that post and my interpretation of your wants, expectations… DTR sounds perfect still, get the dtr for $1500, sell the AP and use some of the funds to offset the clutch.

Also a dtr just like a is38 is much easier on a clutch than an aggressive TQ hitter like a eqt 93 tune.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Can we really trust dyno pics over recorded times though? Dyno graphs are easy to manipulate

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Can we really trust dyno pics over recorded times though? Dyno graphs are easy to manipulate
The 1/4 runs posted showed true conditional/driver downfalls. You don’t even need to see dynos or 1/4s to see that this turbo on 26 psi tapering to 22 psi will make more power than a is20 that hits 27/28 psi for 200 to 300 rpms then quick tapers to 20psi before it loses all steam at 6k - based on hardware specs alone. Using super fast stage 2 unicorn cars 1/4 times or dragys still isn’t a fair comparison since we are still only using like 4-5 dtr cars as references.

Using treadups situation of chasing down a camaro - No question that a winded out dTR in 4th gear is going to be a good bit faster than stage 2 is20 at the top of 4th. 1st,2nd, entering 3rd I’m sure they feel very similar though.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The 1/4 runs posted showed true conditional/driver downfalls. You don’t even need to see dynos or 1/4s to see that this turbo on 26 psi tapering to 22 psi will make more power than a is20 that hits 27/28 psi for 200 to 300 rpms then quick tapers to 20psi before it loses all steam at 6k - based on hardware specs alone. Using super fast stage 2 unicorn cars 1/4 times or dragys still isn’t a fair comparison since we are still only using like 4-5 dtr cars as references.

Using treadups situation of chasing down a camaro - No question that a winded out dTR in 4th gear is going to be a good bit faster than stage 2 is20 at the top of 4th. 1st,2nd, entering 3rd I’m sure they feel very similar though.
I don't know enough about hardware specs to be able to see that but I don't doubt over 100mph it's faster than an is20. If it wasn't then there'd really be problems 😂