GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Just FYI: There's a big difference between passing an onboard test, not throwing a CEL, passing a local sniffer test, and actually being federally EPA or CARB legal. We went down this road with GESI making "legal" setups for quite some time. We worked with them to get different wash coats on the cats, repositioned them, and added more units, played with several things, all in an effort to to make a system that lights off as fast as stock, has the same emissions, or less, and passed everything. However it was still a no from CARB/EPA (even if it was better than stock). IIRC the cat can't fit a car that's still under the original factory emission warranty, which is like 8 years and over 100K, or something liek that. So, if we achieved CARB on a downpipe, it would have to be something like 8 years after the last mk7 was made (that includes ANY vehicle that that it fits on, so probably the jetta will be extended our several more years, meaning we're stuck waiting for a very long time). Point being when someone says a downpipe is Legal, I would take it with a grain of salt. Ask them for the executive order number and documents.
Finally someone said it. I won't type it all out but anyone can read about the specific rules for replacing catalytic converters right on EPA website. Personally I think it sucks given the rules were written in the late 80's with little changes since and I'm sure there have been technology advances since. I do think it's interesting APR tried it, and showed it could be done, but CARB and EPA shot it down, definitely shows commitment to aftermarket performance by APR. We keep deluding ourselves thinking if I put a good catalytic converter on (GESI for example) all is good. Yes, you probably won't throw a CEL, you might even sneak by the inspection station that never actually looked to see if you have the OE cat(s), but it's never technically going to be legal. Just keep playing the game if you want, switching downpipes and so on, until you no longer can.

Side note, the other caveat to the 8years/80K miles for 1995 and newer vehicles..."a legitimate need for replacement has been established and appropriately documented". This is quoted from EPA documentation. EPA's stance is the catalytic converter is the single most important emmissions device on a vehicle and replacing a working cat is a no no

Last edited:

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Is it though? Turbo is tapped out at 460whp on 94 with WMI. 460whp isn't a bad number, not at all. But to be where a turbo maxes out?

Just some additional info

View attachment 250366

420whp on 94, with full bolt-ons and a custom tune. APR claims 406whp on 93. So based on those numbers, giving up emissions compliance, getting all the bolt-ons, and the cost of a custom tune nets you less than 15hp.

That's not good at all.
I wonder what other unbiased tuners will get out of the turbo.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I am also on the train that you either run this turbo with the out of the box tune or get a different turbo lol. it defeats the purpose of buying this turbo to do a custom tune, exhaust etc

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
Lived in CA my whole lif never had a cop pop my hood or anyone else I know either. Is that how they roll in Sac?
Haven’t had it happen to me, but some of it is situational. If you’re at a meet up and people are driving like assholes, you’re gonna get a hood pop. Likewise if you’re just driving like you want to be Lewis Hamilton in traffic, they’ll pop the hood. Cops are big fans of additional charges.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Now is the point I ask you to prove it.

desert-tumbleweed.gif

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Finally someone said it. [...] We keep deluding ourselves [...]

Also, let's keep in mind there are several people on the hook too:

- The company that made the part
- The shop that sold you the part
- The shop that installed the part
- The owner that installed the part

I've seen all 4 get taken down. This also doesn't matter if the company making the part is in the USA or not.

I think it's only a matter of time more people get hit. More companies will pull back on their offerings, and more shops will pull back on what they sell and install.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Also, let's keep in mind there are several people on the hook too:

- The company that made the part
- The shop that sold you the part
- The shop that installed the part
- The owner that installed the part

I've seen all 4 get taken down. This also doesn't matter if the company making the part is in the USA or not.

I think it's only a matter of time more people get hit. More companies will pull back on their offerings, and more shops will pull back on what they sell and install.
@Arin@APR -one of your dealers/a shop I use said they wouldn't even quote me a price to purchase and/or install the DTR kit until the CARB cert is in place...

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
@Arin@APR -one of your dealers/a shop I use said they wouldn't even quote me a price to purchase and/or install the DTR kit until the CARB cert is in place...
I am going in next week to get the Stage 3/DTR/EFR TCU tune upgrade. The shop didn't even know APR had a new turbo out and said they don't keep them up-to-date very well. Of course, you're taking their word for it.