GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
I wish I did, but not yet. Bone stock, about to go Stage 1 soon. Glued to this thread since Day 1 though. DTR vs Vortex is a very interesting battle I'd like to see APR win, but I'm open to either choice.
Honestly, once it has actual CARB certification I see this turbo being a win for APR (at least in some capacity) for people in emissions controlled states like California where the option is either have a pre-1974 vehicle, unbolt and de-tune your modern car, or stick with Stage 1. It might suck a bit for it to not perform at the same level as other turbos that were designed without the CARB restrictions in place, but compared to stock power or Stage 1 power it's probably a blast and worth the money.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
What did you think of the turbo, compared to others you've had experience with?
Doesn’t look any worse than others I’ve seen. I can’t wait to install mine.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Is it really even a battle when the Vortex is a superior product? Nothing against APR, make some decent items, but to me it’s the safe route for people who go to a shop and just order the whole catalog. Hey, pay to play I guess, but the Vortex + custom tune is a knockout, albeit higher price point, but if you’re paying once for the upgrade, just save a little extra and get the real deal.
I have hope, okay? :ROFLMAO: I'd like to see the DTR shine, but if EQT's Vortex is the way, I'll go that route. Either way, I'll need a turbo + HPFP by the looks of things, and I'm not near that point yet. Slowly acquiring parts.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Is it really even a battle when the Vortex is a superior product? Nothing against APR, make some decent items, but to me it’s the safe route for people who go to a shop and just order the whole catalog. Hey, pay to play I guess, but the Vortex + custom tune is a knockout, albeit higher price point, but if you’re paying once for the upgrade, just save a little extra and get the real deal.
You can’t really compare a stock downpipe tune DTR to a custom tune vortex. Wait until people start bolting on the DTR and go the custom tune route. It will be cheaper going through DTR route as well.

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
OH, I know!! Stock turbo cars simply demand open intakes though if you want the boosty-boi noises.
i wanted boosty-boi lite not super boostaroni 😂

…are you bois saying that this turbo setup with stock box and AFE filter does NOT sacrifice any boosty? I mean with all the talk of A/M intake being the first thing, Just the panel is enough?! Someone wanna blow a couple dynos to show it?! Lol

Last edited:

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
This, when I see a Vortex make a much fatter power band while spooling hundreds of RPMs sooner on the stock DP it makes me wonder what is going on. Is it the turbo or is it APRs tune? On paper this turbo looks amazing for the price, so I hope its APRs tune...
Seriously this is what scares me too. Worried the DTR merely spiking to 400+hp late (with a sliver of an upgrade band through most of the rest) and sacrificing low end torque in the mean time means the IS38 is in the end superior for the mk7 stage 1…

3C42E210-1725-42CD-8B44-1BC1069CFD2D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Seriously this is what scares me too. Worried the DTR merely spiking to 400+hp late (with a sliver of an upgrade band through most of the rest) and sacrificing low end torque in the mean time means the IS38 is in the end superior for the mk7 stage 1…View attachment 246640
Yep mean times …
1650498048220.gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You can’t really compare a stock downpipe tune DTR to a custom tune vortex. Wait until people start bolting on the DTR and go the custom tune route. It will be cheaper going through DTR route as well.

I'd assume they mean the new stock downpipe Vortex OTS tunes.

You are right though that the Vortex setup is well over double that of the DTR.

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
Are you guys saying that

i wanted boosty-boi lite not super boostaroni 😂

…are you bois saying that this turbo setup with stock box and AFE filter does NOT sacrifice any boosty? I mean with all the talk of A/M intake being the first thing, Just the panel is enough?! Someone wanna blow a couple dynos to show it?! Lol
This guy did a lot of airflow bench testing with a pretty good combination of parts and found that the stock airbox with the snow filter removed and an insuction kit (inlet hose and TIP) produced 383 cfm of airflow against the top rated AM intake and TIP topping out at 404 cfm. Further down he compared just the modified stock intake against other intakes and it had a higher flow rate than the APR intake, which has been said is "needed" to make the cited power for the DTR.

http://mygolfmk7.com/best-mk7-gti-air-intake/

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have the stock airbox (with snow grate delete and dremelled out front panel), afe dry filter, and apr carbon intake pipe. Working great. The more seat time I have, the more I'm enjoying the setup.

I feel it can use a tad more down low, but after literally hours of internet searching, cross referencing, and talking to techs, I found enough info to make me confident enough to reinstall the downpipe (with spacer).

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I have the stock airbox (with snow grate delete and dremelled out front panel), afe dry filter, and apr carbon intake pipe. Working great. The more seat time I have, the more I'm enjoying the setup.

I feel it can use a tad more down low, but after literally hours of internet searching, cross referencing, and talking to techs, I found enough info to make me confident enough to reinstall the downpipe (with spacer).
if you can drive stick, then drive my car and give back to back impressions; DTR vs APR Stage 1

I wonder if they’ll get CARB approval for the DTR before Stage 1 on the MK 7.5…👀

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

Is that what you're gonna be doing? Would love to see how one of these work on a 1.8 with a custom tune.