GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone who rebuilds IS20s and makes them stronger?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
TPC ( we) is testing an new ball bearing turbo called the TPC18 ( in testing phase not yet available) for the 1.8 crowd mostly. Ball bearing turbo that is hauling by 3K in a 1.8.
I do not have max HP figures but it would fall in between the max of an is20 and an is38.
IS20 based turbo, will not make the same power as the TPC20. This turbo would work great for someone with an is20that is looking for quick spool, more top end than an is20 and the reliability of a ball bearing system.
As far as the 2 failures we have had, as a percentage, 2 failures represents less than 3% failure rate.
thanks

Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Only reason I wanted a stronger one was because i'm not doing the work on my car myself 💀. I want to at some point and am working towards it. This is my daily and if the turbo goes out: yikes. I can afford to fix it but god knows when it will be fixed. I always thought my IS20 was pretty strong lol. I abuse it and it runs and runs and runs like day 1! I figure it will be fine, I doubt it will die quick off of what I do. I don't track the car or drag it.. legally or illegally. So i'm sure by the time she explodes, it will be fine. Hey maybe by then IS20s will be $100! 😂
ya man. run that is20 hard. I've done an install myself twice. Its not the most fun thing in the world but its not terribly hard. Way better with a helping hand.

Is20 is wicked powerful. It gives us all that torque that we need in the FWD variant to rip out the gate

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
TPC ( we) is testing an new ball bearing turbo called the TPC18 ( in testing phase not yet available) for the 1.8 crowd mostly. Ball bearing turbo that is hauling by 3K in a 1.8.
I do not have max HP figures but it would fall in between the max of an is20 and an is38.
IS20 based turbo, will not make the same power as the TPC20. This turbo would work great for someone with an is20that is looking for quick spool, more top end than an is20 and the reliability of a ball bearing system.
As far as the 2 failures we have had, as a percentage, 2 failures represents less than 3% failure rate.
thanks

So you've sold a little under 100 of them.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Looking at an IS20 upgrade for my IS12 as I have a FWD GSW, though I also live in California so a DP might not be in the cards. Looking at possibly a Neuspeed no cel DP, but may end up having to stick with stock unless I want to play the swap every 2 years game.

Are you saying the quick spool on the IS20 is negated by the lack of FWD to put down the power? I was looking at stopping at IS20 with off the shelf tune (APR or UN I think), due to the wagon being a DD and not really wanting to push the limits of the 1.8T reliability or mess with fueling. Curious if you have any links or other info you'd be willing to share.

You can always upgrade to GTI DP. GTI/IS20 DP is 2.5”, Golf/IS12 DP is 2.25”

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You can make wicked fun power out of a is20. Its underrated imo. I'll take its function over the is38 all day. Especially on track.

Yeah I’m a 100% DD/weekend getaway guy, no tracking or Anything. I almost lost my license on bone-stock GTI power a few years ago, so with that in my rear view (I literally got back to zero points on my license this month), I have no interest in adding power in the upper RPM range. In my 6MT Alltrack, the top of 3rd is around 80MPH. So I’d much rather have power in the 2-5K range than the 3-7. Especially with the AWD to put the power down in 1st.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
what.jpg

He is tuned by 5150 so I decided to email them and I was told all I needed was a HPFP which is what I expected for a response.. so I don't know where he is getting this idea from.
I will say one thing.. typically from what I see, IS20s on full E85 make 360ish WHP. This guy claims to be the "WR Fastest" is20 out there.. He showed a live dyno done at 5150 making 379whp..
My tuner told me he's full of shit and that he's a dumbass but to be fair they were real dyno results. Could be lying and be on is38 with E blend but idk..

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I see where he is coming from but it's not entirely true. If you set the car up right you can get good traction and decent 0-60 times.
Comonerleon on YouTube runs full E85 on his IS20 and with the right traction control tune he got 3.8 seconds. That is fucking crazy.
Me personally, I don't plan to drag race or race at all. An occasional race on the freeway sure but for me this is all about the low end power for me. I don't ever go over 100 personally myself so this seems like the best move. As far as i'm aware, an IS20 on full E85 is the best you can get for low end power as fast as possible. Again, traction is an issue but can be dealt with a bit. I'll be running 265s with 220TW sticky tires so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm already stage 2 protuned and I get GREAT traction.
I saw a gti hit consistent 4.2’s. R compound tires too. This was about two months ago. Also, Denver Colorado elevation.

dunno what turbo he was running but he did mention some Cobb traction control thingy.

dude was flying too. Real nice 60 ft times for a fwd car

I dunno anything about that youtuber but maybe it is possible to get those times?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Who is your tuner? I thought for MPI and E you need the LPFP.
full E85 and still pushing the boost levels for "max" gains, simple list format of minimum fueling upgrades:

is20 - hpfp
is38 - hpfp + lpfp
hybrid /full frame bigger snail - lpfp + MPI.

WagenWizard

Ready to race!
So at what point does a 1.8t with an IS38 need additional fueling? I am currently running stock fueling on mine. I though I read APR saying there was still room with their IS38 tune on the 1.8.