GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone who rebuilds IS20s and makes them stronger?

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
I have finally decided on my plan for increasing power on my car and will be going full E85 on my IS20.
Thing is, i'm worried about the longevity of the turbo while doing this.
So i'm wondering when the turbo inevitably fails, who takes IS20s and rebuilds them to be stronger?
I'm aware of the TPC20 but right now that isn't an option. The fact there aren't many out there being used and 2-3 already have failed is not a good sign.
Combine TurboDirects video on why hybrid turbos are guaranteed to fail, I'd rather stay away.

So now i'm left with either: nuke oem is20s or nuke the one I have now and then get it rebuilt stronger so it won't blow.. if that's even possible.
I know TurboDirect makes a non-hybrid stronger IS38 and that certainly isn't off the table for me but i'd rather have a IS20.
Maybe they'll make an IS20 version aswell but for now, not an option.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I'd rather have an is38. The benefits of the is20 are useless in fwd and with the 38+dp spooling really fast on its own.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'd rather have an is38. The benefits of the is20 are useless in fwd and with the 38+dp spooling really fast on its own.
Looking at an IS20 upgrade for my IS12 as I have a FWD GSW, though I also live in California so a DP might not be in the cards. Looking at possibly a Neuspeed no cel DP, but may end up having to stick with stock unless I want to play the swap every 2 years game.

Are you saying the quick spool on the IS20 is negated by the lack of FWD to put down the power? I was looking at stopping at IS20 with off the shelf tune (APR or UN I think), due to the wagon being a DD and not really wanting to push the limits of the 1.8T reliability or mess with fueling. Curious if you have any links or other info you'd be willing to share.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Looking at an IS20 upgrade for my IS12 as I have a FWD GSW, though I also live in California so a DP might not be in the cards. Looking at possibly a Neuspeed no cel DP, but may end up having to stick with stock unless I want to play the swap every 2 years game.

Are you saying the quick spool on the IS20 is negated by the lack of FWD to put down the power? I was looking at stopping at IS20 with off the shelf tune (APR or UN I think), due to the wagon being a DD and not really wanting to push the limits of the 1.8T reliability or mess with fueling. Curious if you have any links or other info you'd be willing to share.
I see where he is coming from but it's not entirely true. If you set the car up right you can get good traction and decent 0-60 times.
Comonerleon on YouTube runs full E85 on his IS20 and with the right traction control tune he got 3.8 seconds. That is fucking crazy.
Me personally, I don't plan to drag race or race at all. An occasional race on the freeway sure but for me this is all about the low end power for me. I don't ever go over 100 personally myself so this seems like the best move. As far as i'm aware, an IS20 on full E85 is the best you can get for low end power as fast as possible. Again, traction is an issue but can be dealt with a bit. I'll be running 265s with 220TW sticky tires so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm already stage 2 protuned and I get GREAT traction.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Not really. You can't cut a sub 4s on street tires on the street in a FWD GTI. Removing weight won't help with traction. Dude talks out his ass constantly on his channel. No credibility.
I'm looking to hit under 5 seconds, 4.5 max.
But like I said, it makes sense to me.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Instead of rebuilding one, I would just get another one. I even have one as a backup.

You can send it to Nick at TPC. U know I beat the piss out my tpc20. The thing is...any turbo can break, at any time. There is no single indestructible one. Except maybe an is12 😂

Once you start playing with power and introducing new things to the car its a risk. Sometimes the stock units fail on people in normal situations who don't even know this forum exists!

So take your 20 and get all the support work done to support twhat you want. Eventually you will change the turbo to something at the end of the day. The quest for more power never goes away, it just gets slowed down lol. If it dies then you can just take it out and send it to someone for a hybrid or do something else.

You can make wicked fun power out of a is20. Its underrated imo. I'll take its function over the is38 all day. Especially on track.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Instead of rebuilding one, I would just get another one. I even have one as a backup.

You can send it to Nick at TPC. U know I beat the piss out my tpc20. The thing is...any turbo can break, at any time. There is no single indestructible one. Except maybe an is12 😂

Once you start playing with power and introducing new things to the car its a risk. Sometimes the stock units fail on people in normal situations who don't even know this forum exists!

So take your 20 and get all the support work done to support twhat you want. Eventually you will change the turbo to something at the end of the day. The quest for more power never goes away, it just gets slowed down lol. If it dies then you can just take it out and send it to someone for a hybrid or do something else.

You can make wicked fun power out of a is20. Its underrated imo. I'll take its function over the is38 all day. Especially on track.
If that's the case, wouldn't it just be better to pony up the cash for a FCPEuro IS20?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-is20-turbocharger-genuine-vw-audi-06k145722l

For a DD that the wife also needs to drive on occasion, I would think an IS20 would be perfect - but I've never driven, nor ridden in a IS38 wagon so I couldn't say. I know there are few FWD slush box 1.8T GSWs running around with IS38s, but to me that seems like your gambling on longevity with the engine and tranny? Again - just my ignorant thought on the subject from reading. I thought the IS38 mainly shined up top in the RPM band and past 90MPH, too - Is that incorrect? Not looking to do 120 down the 405. If I had a DSG, or a 6spd I think i'd get more bang for my buck as well.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
If that's the case, wouldn't it just be better to pony up the cash for a FCPEuro IS20?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-is20-turbocharger-genuine-vw-audi-06k145722l

For a DD that the wife also needs to drive on occasion, I would think an IS20 would be perfect - but I've never driven, nor ridden in a IS38 wagon so I couldn't say. I know there are few FWD slush box 1.8T GSWs running around with IS38s, but to me that seems like your gambling on longevity with the engine and tranny? Again - just my ignorant thought on the subject from reading. I thought the IS38 mainly shined up top in the RPM band and past 90MPH, too - Is that incorrect? Not looking to do 120 down the 405. If I had a DSG, or a 6spd I think i'd get more bang for my buck as well.
Thats not a bad idea either. If warranty gives you comfort go right for it. I know i can get a used is20 for maybe 300 so paying 1200 for a "new" one isn't worth it. Given how quite strong the is20 is you will do fine.

Is20 is fantastic for the wagon. Seriously its great. I've driven one and will be doing it to another shortly.

Is38 has a greater topend for sure. Higher RPMS its quick. However I like the smooth power delivery of the is20 from a dead stop, normal driving circumstances.

Is20 in an alltrack is amazing. It keeps how fun the car is with its nimble lil tuning changes.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thats not a bad idea either. If warranty gives you comfort go right for it. I know i can get a used is20 for maybe 300 so paying 1200 for a "new" one isn't worth it. Given how quite strong the is20 is you will do fine.

Is20 is fantastic for the wagon. Seriously its great. I've driven one and will be doing it to another shortly.
True. I've seen a few used ones with 50k or under miles pop up for 350ish or less. I haven't read up on the IS20 longevity as Turbo swap is a bit further down my mod list right now, so I don't really know the value of new vs lightly used. Old time logic i've heard is always rebuild a used turbo, but that may be overkill in something that comes stock on the GTI. 🤷‍♂️

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Exactly. If your not going to be out here in the streets/track whipping like mad. Slap an is20 in there. Maybe a jb4 to keep things a little custom and enjoy your fun car.

I competed my whole first year and a half with just a is20 on pump. Hella fun!