GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody that normally buys manuals switch to the 7 speed dsg for the R?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Kinda surprised how big this thread is now.

I feel like if you're a manual guy, you're not going to be happy with a dsg. Just my two cents.

There's things I think I'd love about the dsg, like I wish I had launch control that was as easy to use with the dsg and I wish I had those super quick 1st to 2nd shifts. I'm not going to be using LC at on public roads, so I feel like it'd barely ever get used though. I also feel like I'd get into more trouble or have an increased chance to end up causing an accident if I had dsg, it's easier to go through all the gears and you don't have to pay attention as much. Ultimately I didn't get dsg because I can't predict the future and I was unsure of how quickly I would get bored with dsg, or if I would get bored. I also legit don't like dsg farts, they're as bad as pops and bangs.

I always see people complaining about manuals in traffic, but even in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic I'm gonna prefer a manual. It forces me to pay attention and it gives me something to do. I've never had my leg get fatigued from driving so that's never been a concern.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It also has to do with the power as well, I think.

If from the start, I was going to do a BT swap, boost my R to 500hp+ and go racing, I'd probably get the DSG because I'm not good enough of a driver to take a hand off to shift.

This is also probably why I'm perfectly fine with just a JB1, and at max, maybe top out at Stg2. Call it what you want - better connection, feel...etc. I just wanna have fun driving the car. And, as amazed as I am with DSG, how fast it is and all the superlatives, the novelty wore off after several KMs testing it in a Mk5 GTI in 2008 and got bored.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Kinda surprised how big this thread is now.

There's things I think I'd love about the dsg, like I wish I had launch control that was as easy to use with the dsg and I wish I had those super quick 1st to 2nd shifts. I'm not going to be using LC at on public roads, so I feel like it'd barely ever get used though. I also feel like I'd get into more trouble or have an increased chance to end up causing an accident if I had dsg, it's easier to go through all the gears and you don't have to pay attention as much. Ultimately I didn't get dsg because I can't predict the future and I was unsure of how quickly I would get bored with dsg, or if I would get bored. I also legit don't like dsg farts, they're as bad as pops and bangs.

I always see people complaining about manuals in traffic, but even in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic I'm gonna prefer a manual. It forces me to pay attention and it gives me something to do. I've never had my leg get fatigued from driving so that's never been a concern.

Come to Arizona and I'm sure some other states when your on a highway with a 6 % upgrade and there's an accident and you maybe move 10' and stop and on and on for an hour. I hated that when I had a manual.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
Come to Arizona and I'm sure some other states when your on a highway with a 6 % upgrade and there's an accident and you maybe move 10' and stop and on and on for an hour. I hated that when I had a manual.

lol my daily is a pickup which is also manual like my R, you just described a typical day for me. Still no issue for me even after 16 years of driving manual, the only problem is my left calf seems to be a tad bigger than the right :cautious:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
lol my daily is a pickup which is also manual like my R, you just described a typical day for me. Still no issue for me even after 16 years of driving manual, the only problem is my left calf seems to be a tad bigger than the right :cautious:

I don't know have you ever had to hold the clutch pushed in for over an hour and move 10 feet and then stop continuously? On a huge upgrade.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I don't know have you ever had to hold the clutch pushed in for over an hour and move 10 feet and then stop continuously? On a huge upgrade.

I probably wouldn't wait an hour. I'd probably just put it in neutral after 10 seconds. :p

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I probably wouldn't wait an hour. I'd probably just put it in neutral after 10 seconds. :p
[/QUOT

I agree but it still gets tiring holding the brake and moving 10 ' at a time especially with a manual.

JWTS

Ready to race!
until I got the R, I much preferred driving manuals in heavy traffic. Just put the car in neutral..not that hard. I must say, with autohold on the DSG, I find it just as pleasant to drive in traffic.

I'm a lifelong manual guy. I'm glad I got the DSG--zero regrets. I find it more engaging to drive, no worries about the clutch when adding power, and most significantly I like the gear ratios a lot better on this particular car.