GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody that normally buys manuals switch to the 7 speed dsg for the R?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I guess I'm just trying to validate my thoughts. I've had 2 GTIs over 12 years and both of them were manuals. Now I'm thinking I need an R, and that was a pretty easy decision to make. I'm stuck on this whole dsg or manual thing though. I'd hate to buy the car I've drooled over for so long just to hate it because I regret my transmission choice. Not sure that'd be possible though. It's hard to gauge how long you might enjoy something different from just a test drive.

I kinda feel like the R is meant to be dsg though. I've been watching videos and seeing how quickly it shifts. Those shifts with the awd seems like a lot of fun. It also seems like a really good combination with the dcc, it's cool to have that customization and different modes. I might be kind of sick of shifting too? Idk...I had a mk4 and now a mk6, and I like driving manual, but vw manuals can be a bit sloppy sometimes I think. That kinda drains you after a while.

I also had to replace the clutch in my mk6 since it couldn't handle the power. I've thought about this...and I don't want to do that again. I just don't want to worry about any of that crap that goes with replacing a clutch.

The only thing I'm really worried about with the dsg is with some of the complaints in 1st gear and I think I've seen people say 1st to 2nd has a problem sometimes in the right circumstances. Maybe it's not as bad as what I'm imagining in my head though. Then maybe getting bored because shifting is just a button or nothing at all.

Seems like right now I can only find used manuals for sale too, so it's tempting, but I'm resisting.

tldr: People that used to be strictly a manual driver are you happy you switched to dsg? You're not getting bored in your daily commute or anything? The few little quirks of the dsg nothing that'll mess up the overall enjoyment of the car? When I bought my mk4 and mk6 I knew they absolutely had to be manuals because it's what I wanted...now I'm not so sure.

MKVIIS R

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my opinion in it

13 cars before my R. 11 were manual. I used to be like that. The only automatic cars were a 2001 4Runner (owned for 2 months) and 2002 Camaro Z28 (built auto, literally sold the same night I brought home the R). If you are in it for rowing gears and driver involvement, then rest assured you may be disappointed with the DSG. As you can see, rowing gears for 85% of my entire time of car ownership has done its toll. I do not and cannot see myself driving a manual car for my daily commutes anymore. Maybe a weekend car. So I am a bit bias on this to a certain extent!

If you are using this car for EVERYDAY driving, you will be happy with the DSG. One way to think of it is this: the factory clutch in the new R manual transmissions are known to break down under stock power figures. Are you okay buying one knowing this can (and will) happen?

DSG in the R today have good overall reputation for reliability and performance. And many will say in short that the DSG in the MK7.5 is even more reliable than the one in the MK7.

A second way to look at if you just can't let go of the manual transmission: the DSG is basically a manual transmission with a computer running the clutch instead of your left foot. It will: shift faster, shift smoother, shift consistently, and it will do it EVERYTIME.

The DSG is quicker in almost all scenarios. Personally for me, it's not a lack of fun, it's a different type of fun.

Maybe you aren't into any of the "quicker faster" perks, and are more into driver involvement. Maybe you just can't let go of the manual. If that is the case, it is a decision only YOU should/can make. But at this point, I don't see how anyone can change your mind if you already feel that way (not saying that you do)!

Don't get me wrong though, I still love my manuals, just not for this car. I truly think the VW family has really been spoiled with the DSG, it's almost a no brainer.

And I am not hating on anyone who prefers the manual over the DSG, and definitely not hating on manuals in general! Just my opinion on this topic!

Oh yeah, and the shifts from 1st to 2nd, honestly haven't felt any jerkiness or clunkiness to it. Perhaps I did, but I wouldn't call it jerky or clunky. You may feel the difference between the dual clutch and traditional torque converter automatics, but it is nothing to worry about. When slowing down, it doesn't downshift into 2nd until about 1K RPM, and at about idle RPM to downshift to 1st. Very smooth in my experience.

TLDR:
1¢ - DSG is more comfortable, quicker in almost all scenarios, more reliable/can reliably take higher power figures AS-IS, easier to live with and won't put a toll on you as a daily driver.
1¢ - Manual has more driver involvement, *more* cool/fun factor, cheaper to service if ever needed and has cheaper price tags/better deals.

Last edited:

Mowe

Passed Driver's Ed
All of my previous cars were manual.

Z06
Mini Cooper
350Z
Viper
Hellcat
STI

A few others mixed in. Bought the R for a DD. Love it... drive it in S all the time. Handling and lower is adequate. The DSG does a good job and the paddles are fun sometimes ...

I wanted the fastest and easiest R to drive in daily traffic. It does that and much more.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I really do feel like the dsg is the appropriate trans for the R. I dunno if this sounds dumb, but to me the new Rs are luxury. I'm simple, I like simple things, and the R is that entirely. Nothing overdone or flashy. Everything set just right. I love the interior of this car so much, the seats, the electric dash, the infotainment, of course the steering steel then you've got the dcc, and it looks like a really nice comfortable car. I kinda think the dsg adds to that comfort, at least in the frame of mind I'm in now.

Last edited:

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
Not an R but...

Bought a Rabbit GTi, only had manual, a CFB DSG would have taken 2 months to get here.

After trying a DSG rabbit, I regret my manual one. The cost of the clutch upgrade alone i'll have to do eventually would have covered the difference.

That being said, I cant see an R being different. My next one will be a DSG R, sooner than later.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I kinda feel like the R is meant to be dsg though.

vw manuals can be a bit sloppy sometimes I think.

I also had to replace the clutch in my mk6 since it couldn't handle the power. I've thought about this...and I don't want to do that again. I just don't want to worry about any of that crap that goes with replacing a clutch.

Seems like right now I can only find used manuals for sale too, so it's tempting, but I'm resisting.

I agree with all these points and I still got a manual. After 20+ years, I'm just not ready yet. I suspect I'll eventually be forced into it, so I kinda see this as my last manual.

The DSG cars get snapped up first, because of all of the above, and the manuals sit. Late in the year, might be able to score a deal on a 6MT.

Tough decision :)

AR11

Ready to race!
The DSG is faster but that really only matters if you are driving competitively. If you like the in-control feeling of stick then no amount of DSG shift speed will give you that. For commuting in stop and go traffic or autocross I get it though.

I test drove dsg and found it kind of boring. Would be nice for track days (because of my own inability to rev match while braking) but the rest of the time I'm glad to have stick.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I've owned 13 cars, and my R is my first non-manual. I'm not sad about it at all, particularly after getting APR's new tune. It's not boring and is fast. I drive strictly in M. May last car had auto rev matching, and this just seems like one step further past that to me. It also won't develop the sloppy aged VW manual over time, and I don't have to deal with heavy or chattery clutches with mods.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
My R wagon is my first non-manual vehicle (ever !). I wanted a Golf R wagon and they were only available with DSG, otherwise I would definitely have bought a manual.

I took a while to get to like the DSG, but now I do, and wouldn't buy a manual Golf R if I had to replace it.

About the only thing I don't like is how it rushes into too-high a gear (and holds them) when driving gently in D mode, so it sometimes feels like the engine is lugging at too low revs. I've read that a TCU tune will fix that, so when my warranty expires I will probably upgrade.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a MK6 GTI with manual and loved it. More engagement with the driving experience for sure. However, traffic getting worse in my city made me want to move to DSG so I traded in the GTI for a 2018 DSG R. It is a great transmission for sure. I initially complained on this forum of 1-2 shifts being occasionally bad, but that is no longer happening. You make the choice. If you have bad traffic, go with the DSG. Going to take a long time (60K miles) but I will probably go with APR engine and DSG upgrade when off warrant and this will be the best car I have ever owned.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
There is no way in hell I would buy a DSG R unless I have a MT R at the same time.

I tried the DSG GTI MK7 and it was okay while I was injured, but there is no place for an AT car in my line up unless I am sharing the car with my wife.

pheare

Passed Driver's Ed
2018 r has been my first non-manual car pretty much ever (I am 46). It is great.

But there is one thing that to this day (one year in) bugs me to no end - when starting from a stop (not racing, no launch control) there is a delay/pause before the dsg clutches engages and you start moving. Cannot get used to it for the life of me.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Also coming from all manuals, going way back to Alfa Giulia Super, Triumph GT6+, Jeep CJ7, Porsche C2S, and Miata. LOVED them all, but still very happy with the R's DSG. The dual clutch tranny's have gotten so much better over the years.

I track and DD my car and feel like I easily have as much control on track as I did with manuals. I shift in "manual" mode with DSG on track. I also like the overall better performance. I miss the manual on certain winding roads, but prefer the DSG on track and most normal DD driving situations. In traffic it's not close.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Helpful guide to choosing DSG or Manual:

• Has your left leg and/or right arm been paralyzed or amputated? DSG
  • Do you want to save $1,100 or possibly more? Manual
  • Are you going to add any additional power over stock? DSG
  • Do you want the car to be significantly faster stock vs stock? DSG
  • Can you shift faster than you can blink? Manual
  • Does your commute have heavy traffic? DSG
  • Do you like how race cars sound with super fast and snappy shifts? DSG
  • Does your left leg and right arm constantly need something to do while driving? Manual
  • Do you believe that constantly moving a lever and pushing another pedal is what constitutes driving involvement? Manual
  • Do you find farts funny? DSG

Stick with the 6MT. It's the best theft deterrent out there.

If it gets stolen, insurance buys me a new one.

Last edited: