GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody that normally buys manuals switch to the 7 speed dsg for the R?

ztorc

Go Kart Newbie

It's fun in the standard manual, but DSG in manual is also lots of fun. :D

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
They're both fun, no doubt. But while the DSG sets records on the drag strip, the manual holds the records around the track.

It all depends on what you want out of a car. I'm happy to row my own gears. I'll also be happy to switch to an EV some day where gears aren't necessary (looking forward to that ID.3 R). But if there ARE gears, I want to be in control of them. Period. No flappy paddle solution gives me 100% control.

It's not like there's any competition to beat that record. They're not exactly lining up with DSG cars to better the record. I'll take a tuned DSG any day.

I mean, VW put a race car driver on a track to set a record. They didn't put him on a track in a DSG. Your own personal preference is great, but preference is subjective. Facts are not.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
In February 2006 I was tempted by the DSG and fell in love.

I took one on and extended test drive and ended up with one in my garage a week later.

The honeymoon lasted about 6 months, then I sat her down and had a difficult conversation. It was over, I had no more feelings for her :D

I traded with another forum member for a 6MT car, he had just underwent knee surgery.

My thread from back in the day:

Bored with my DSG

As long as I am able to row my own gears, that’s what I’ll pick.

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I've always enjoyed manuals, so my "fun" cars through the years have all had manual transmissions. I've been impressed with the dual-clutch units (PDK, DSG) owned by friends, but somehow they've always left me just a bit cold. Regardless, it's obvious that someday soon I'll have no choice in the matter, so for now I choose the manuals. I'll learn to enjoy the ATs and electrics later.

Last edited:

Only1Z

Passed Driver's Ed
In February 2006 I was tempted by the DSG and fell in love.

I took one on and extended test drive and ended up with one in my garage a week later.

The honeymoon lasted about 6 months, then I sat her down and had a difficult conversation. It was over, I had no more feelings for her :D

I traded with another forum member for a 6MT car, he had just underwent knee surgery.

My thread from back in the day:

Bored with my DSG

As long as I am able to row my own gears, that’s what I’ll pick.
Amen. And you'd never drive an automatic again unless you had to. You are a manual dude.

I love the comments here that generally echo that the DSG is the proper transmission for the R. There is no such thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Because it is irrelevant which is faster on the street. That's not why a manual driver chooses manual over DSG. My manual is way faster than his DSG. So what? That's not why I chose manual. One should buy a DSG because of practical reasons. If you're a manual person, you aren't buying DSG because it will lay down a faster lap time. You're a manual person. You're buying DSG because of practicality (or you truly drive on a track competitively and want the slightly better lap times). Manual guys don't just buy automatics for the hell of it. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just to play Devil's advocate the faster version of a car was very relevant in days of 'yore.
Most of the reason guys chose the manual versions of say muscle cars in the 60's was because those versions were quicker than their automatic versions.
Not because they felt more manly shifting, or that they preferred shifting.
Had the automatics been quicker - those would have been the preferred variant.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
You don't row your own gears and chose dsg?

Sure did. Now watch this launch.

/thread

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
Just to play Devil's advocate the faster version of a car was very relevant in days of 'yore.
Most of the reason guys chose the manual versions of say muscle cars in the 60's was because those versions were quicker than their automatic versions.
Not because they felt more manly shifting, or that they preferred shifting.
Had the automatics been quicker - those would have been the preferred variant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17085632

Shifting one's own gears might not only be more engaging, but actually safer.

ymmv.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17085632

Shifting one's own gears might not only be more engaging, but actually safer.

ymmv.

It makes sense. If I'm driving then that's exactly what I'm doing. I guess taking calls isn't as big a deal anymore now that I can go handsfree in the new car, but in my last GTI I absolutely hated getting phone calls when I was driving. I'd tell people all the time, can't talk right now I'm driving. Even right now I got my phone set up to automatically reply back to texts that I'm driving and I'll message them soon.

I just don't care for trying to manage anything additional while I've got 1 hand on the wheel and 1 hand on the shifter. Meanwhile it seems like everyone around me is on their cellphone, or doing their makeup, or shoving fast food into their mouth.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
That study tests ADHD subjects but the logic is there... if you are more involved in the driving, you are going to undoubtedly be paying more attention...

I had a manual MK5 GTI for almost a decade and when it came to looking for the R, I did ponder on the DSG, but there is something beautiful about rowing your boat..

Thank god i choose a manual again, i fucking love driving that car.

A friend of mine has a DSG MK5 and have driven it around a bit, its fun, with the tune and exhaust the shifts are race-car like.... but there is something so rewarding about slamming through the gears, its more pure, more engaging... hopefully i can get another manual car in the future.....

I just don't care for trying to manage anything additional while I've got 1 hand on the wheel and 1 hand on the shifter. Meanwhile it seems like everyone around me is on their cellphone, or doing their makeup, or shoving fast food into their mouth.

Ignore them, enjoy every mile in your car...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
And muscle car drivers in the 70's have nothing to do with why I chose to drive a MT. :)

It doesn't have to, and I completely understand that some people love to shift.

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
It doesn't have to, and I completely understand that some people love to shift.

I appreciate that the DSG exists. It's awesome to give people more options. The study I linked to specifically noted that this was a study for people with ADHD. If you do not suffer from such a condition or any degree of it, perhaps you can't relate to people who do. That's fine. But don't try to play the situation down to one option purely being "faster" or "more manly" because it's way bigger than that.

I drive a mt because I enjoy driving one. I enjoy shifting my own gears because that simple act puts me square in the middle of a mechanical device. The car can legitimately do nothing without me. I feel more connected to the road, I am more engaged in the traffic around me. I have never felt more connected to the road and to traffic than when I rode a motorcycle, where literally every part of your body is doing at least one task, if not more.

Engagement. Not speed. Not manliness. Engagement.