swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
LOL.

Interesting vid

jbm119

Ready to race!
I have to agree on his poring skill on that test tube. I would be all over, too.

Yes, I would love to see more comprehensive test but I was surprised that LiquiMoly lost on bearing test which is in my engine.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I have to agree on his poring skill on that test tube. I would be all over, too.

Yes, I would love to see more comprehensive test but I was surprised that LiquiMoly lost on bearing test which is in my engine.

It's been pointed out many times that his bearing test is way out dated at this point and doesn't show anything true what so ever

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Just did a quick search.... On Amazon.... There's only $7 difference between the two....5 qt Amazon basics vs 5 qt lubrimoly. I'm fine paying that for a very good "known"

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
This proves little to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
It's pretty clear that MB 229.5 is the top spec in Full-SAPS oils. Once a formula meets MB 229.5, the BMW LL-01 and VW 502 specs are exceeded.

Worst perfromance would be a "specific" VW 502 oil like Dealer drum oil. It's "specific" to the lowest of the Euro specs, and cheap for VW.

Getting into the spec oil business is easy. Just call an additive supplier like Lubrizol and purchase a pre-approved additive package. Then mix it up with a certain base oil, likely from Korea, and then bottle it w/a label of your choice.

Don't forget the $500k licence fee for 3 years from VW, because that's what it's all about. Do people think all of those 100+ "approved" oils on the master list all come from Ma and Pa garages all tinkerling to make the "best" VW oil, hoping to get it approved??? lol, no. In fact, spec oils are all pretty much the same for this reason. At least 5w-40 oils are this way, usually old formulas from 1998 made to an antiquated spec. Better to use a modern 5w-40 HD oil like Delo, with it's crazy spec sheet. HT/HS of 4.1cP, far above Euro specs of 3.5cP....still great in cold.

I tend toward 0w-40s since it really is the best of all worlds and you get a better product. For some reason VW fails to mention this very best grade of oil. Really any 5w-40 or 0w-40 will do the job, but VW fails at conveying this simple message to the customer. Euro specs for visc and HT/HS are overkill, intended for going flat-out on the Autobahn for hours at a clip. In North America, we don't really drive up oil temps, except maybe towing.

That's why jug 5w-30 synthetic still works fine with low wear, 90% of drivers just putz around. Many "API" 5w-30 have the ACEA A5 spec, same as A3 just thinner. PZ Platinum Ultra 5w-30, for instance. I would use it or 504 in the new Budack 2.0T instead of VW 508, imo.

I am using PZ Euro L 5w-30. It's mid saps meeting MB 229.51, but not VW 504. Fine, still excellent, but without the cost of a 504 certification...hmm.

We have a new Sportwagen 6M here, and a new MB Metris, which is amazing. Also a B8 Avant and a CLK 500, so I use a lot of oil. I only do 2000 miles a year on the CLK, so I'm going with 2 year changes on it. The best plan for daily driver cars is *timed* intervals of 6 months. It works for both short trip driving and long highway miles. Up to 20k a year, 6 months is fine. Under 7000 miles a year, once is fine. The MB 2.0T takes 8q, so kind of a joke to do that one too often. I'll do some pics later. This is our 2nd Mk7 in 2 years.

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
It's pretty clear that MB 229.5 is the top spec in Full-SAPS oils. Once a formula meets MB 229.5, the BMW LL-01 and VW 502 specs are exceeded.

Worst perfromance would be a "specific" VW 502 oil like Dealer drum oil. It's "specific" to the lowest of the Euro specs, and cheap for VW.

Getting into the spec oil business is easy. Just call an additive supplier like Lubrizol and purchase a pre-approved additive package. Then mix it up with a certain base oil, likely from Korea, and then bottle it w/a label of your choice.

Don't forget the $500k licence fee for 3 years from VW, because that's what it's all about. Do people think all of those 100+ "approved" oils on the master list all come from Ma and Pa garages all tinkerling to make the "best" VW oil, hoping to get it approved??? lol, no. In fact, spec oils are all pretty much the same for this reason. At least 5w-40 oils are this way, usually old formulas from 1998 made to an antiquated spec. Better to use a modern 5w-40 HD oil like Delo, with it's crazy spec sheet. HT/HS of 4.1cP, far above Euro specs of 3.5cP....still great in cold.

I tend toward 0w-40s since it really is the best of all worlds and you get a better product. For some reason VW fails to mention this very best grade of oil. Really any 5w-40 or 0w-40 will do the job, but VW fails at conveying this simple message to the customer. Euro specs for visc and HT/HS are overkill, intended for going flat-out on the Autobahn for hours at a clip. In North America, we don't really drive up oil temps, except maybe towing.

That's why jug 5w-30 synthetic still works fine with low wear, 90% of drivers just putz around. Many "API" 5w-30 have the ACEA A5 spec, same as A3 just thinner. PZ Platinum Ultra 5w-30, for instance. I would use it or 504 in the new Budack 2.0T instead of VW 508, imo.

I am using PZ Euro L 5w-30. It's mid saps meeting MB 229.51, but not VW 504. Fine, still excellent, but without the cost of a 504 certification...hmm.

We have a new Sportwagen 6M here, and a new MB Metris, which is amazing. Also a B8 Avant and a CLK 500, so I use a lot of oil. I only do 2000 miles a year on the CLK, so I'm going with 2 year changes on it. The best plan for daily driver cars is *timed* intervals of 6 months. It works for both short trip driving and long highway miles. Up to 20k a year, 6 months is fine. Under 7000 miles a year, once is fine. The MB 2.0T takes 8q, so kind of a joke to do that one too often. I'll do some pics later. This is our 2nd Mk7 in 2 years.

Depends on the dealer, as my local one used Pennzoil 5w-30 AV.

My personal preference is Pennzoil Plat 5w-40 / Shell Helix Ultra.

VW 502 is a spec dating from 1998. Suffice it to say, there are other specs like the above mentioned MB229.5/BMW-01/Fiat Z2 to strive for.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Putting amazon branded oil in a European car with higher than average spec requirements.....

When I'm thinking consistent quality control, I think Amazon! (even the prime app on my 8000 series samsung tv is a buggy piece of shit, amazon is known for lots of revolutionary ideas, but high levels of qc it is not)

My favorite scene Demolition Man was that the high end luxury restaurant was Taco Bell. We are not that far into the future.

I am just imagining how many cars with amazon oils are run for 5k+ over the recommended OCI....

I know that the man the myth the legend Scotty Kilmer disagrees, but cheap oils are just a bad idea. The oil you feed your car is as important as the fuel. Run higher spec for and a slightly shorter OCI and there's a better chance of the car lasting till the body rots away than anything oil related hurting out your engine.

"X-cess ive" protection all the way thx.

Just gimme my high spec imported euro shit made from distilled pubic hair grease at 170 bucks a diy oil change, and I'll be happy. I'm totally one of those guys.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Motul is entirely overrated, given the UOAs I've seen on here and Subaru forums.

Pennzoil consistently puts up the best wear averages, from what I can tell.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Citing a Scooby forum for advice on longevity is like asking Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein for dating advice.

While I do hear ya in general on Motul, I do not hear you on the one version that meets the specs for the bleeding edge AMG cars, as well as our VW spec.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk