GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Oil Test

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Citing a Scooby forum for advice on longevity is like asking Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein for dating advice.

While I do hear ya in general on Motul, I do not hear you on the one version that meets the specs for the bleeding edge AMG cars, as well as our VW spec.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 is Ferrari rated and is the same price as Castrol 0w-40 at walmart.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 is Ferrari rated and is the same price as Castrol 0w-40 at walmart.

Because if anybody knows about modified spec Turbocharged cars and their oil requirements, it's Ferrari.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Because if anybody knows about modified spec Turbocharged cars and their oil requirements, it's Ferrari.

It lists every other major euro spec, except BMW-01.

Though one could argue this is because they want you to buy the Pennzoil/Shell oil in BMW branded bottles instead.

So your mass produced 2.0T DI engine will be totally protected by an oil that's rated for highly strung V8/V12 Ferrari engines - yes.

You can spend the $20 or so you saved over Motul on some nice Shell 93 to actually enjoy your GTI/R on a Sunday drive. ;)

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Give me 94 octane or give me death.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
Motul is entirely overrated, given the UOAs I've seen on here and Subaru forums.

Pennzoil consistently puts up the best wear averages, from what I can tell.

Motul is overrated? How so? Proof?

I've been wanting to use this for awhile. Flashback Friday:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oils meeting the same approvals are going to be essentially the same. Buy the name you like and spend what you like, it's your money. The commonly used VW502.00 oiles are basically all syn-blends of Group III/IV base stock with additives. I use LM and know that I can get the same performance with M1/Castrol 0W40s from Wallyworld - I like the kits from shopdap and want to support them for their support of our community.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Oils meeting the same approvals are going to be essentially the same. Buy the name you like and spend what you like, it's your money. The commonly used VW502.00 oiles are basically all syn-blends of Group III/IV base stock with additives. I use LM and know that I can get the same performance with M1/Castrol 0W40s from Wallyworld - I like the kits from shopdap and want to support them for their support of our community.

Honest. Props.

Marketing is such a great mechanism to separate you and your money, especially when it comes to something like oil with the same specs. Put a blanket over a dozen and pick one. All will do what you need them to do regardless of what you pay for it. Whichever marketing works for you, works for you :).

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Oil is too confusing. I am never going to change out what it came filled with when I bought the car. It is a sealed system anyways. How is it going to get contaminated?

/s

Mud

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Mobil Super European Formula meets BMW LL01, as well as VW 502 and 505.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-synthetic-euro

Vic

Sure, but I'm thinking that it's Shell who doesn't want to compete against itself - if that makes any sense?

The only Pennzoil branded oil that meets BMW-01 is their 5w-40 Euro formulation, but the VOAs of the two indicate that there's zero difference in terms of composition, just viscosity.

It's mostly likely a contract term from when BMW switched from Castrol to Shell.