GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I Rice If ...?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just my two cents...

Terms that appropriate cultural iconography to denigrate others are, by definition racist. That does not always mean offensive, but, it’s really best to avoid them.

Rather than using the term ricer, ridiculous is prolly better frankly.

On the other side of the spectrum, using your value system to judge others is also prejudicial and culturally I sensitive as well. Folks that think “riced-out” cars are ridiculous may use a term that is culturally insensitive, another party denigrating its use may be acting insensitive to the culture (‘Murican car guys) is also being equally insensitive and oppressive towards the group that they are demonstrably denigrating.

So... “ricer” is better avoided, and, more importantly, denigrating others because they do not share your “enlightened” values should also be avoided.

BTW, I’m a PhD in Social Justice (Vandy) and learning/understanding where others exist in their culture is far more important than suggesting that “everyone” should conform to any (especially your own) worldview is pretty silly.

As to the OP’s original question..

Cosmetic (only) modifications that look like they are performance modifications are (in this posters opinion) ridiculous.

:)

RICE has nothing to do with racism. As already pointed out, RICE is an acronym for Racing Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. It has nothing to do with race, cuisine, or even what country the car is from - despite most ricers happen to be Japanese cars (there's plenty of ricer Neon SRT4s, VDUB Golfs & Jettas, etc).

It's actually more racist for you to patronize them by deciding for them what they should find offensive, which implies they're not smart enough or capable of doing so themselves.

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
RICE has nothing to do with racism. RICE is an acronym for Racing Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. It has nothing to do with race, cuisine, or even what country the car is from - despite most ricers happen to be Japanese cars (there's plenty of ricer Neon SRT4s, VDUB golfs & jettas, etc).

It's actually more racist for you to patronize them by deciding for them what they should find offensive, which implies they're not smart enough or capable of doing so themselves.

I'm willing to bet that it was a term started by the domestic guys as a derogatory term directed towards the Japanese imports...as in "rice burner or rice boy". I've been in the import car scene since the early 90's...and I have never heard the term "rice" used as an acronym.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
PhD in social justice. 'Nuff said.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

And nobody cares. This country has gotten way to politically correct and soft because of all these fucking snowflakes that want to wine and cry about everything. And if they don't get their way or if you don't agree with them, they protest and destroy stuff.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'm willing to bet that it was a term started by the domestic guys as a derogatory term directed towards the Japanese imports...as in "rice burner or rice boy". I've been in the import car scene since the early 90's...and I have never heard the term "rice" used as an acronym.

Rice burner is a term from around the 70's for Japanese motorcycles and then eventually Japanese cars. It's possible rice/ricer derived from rice burner but any research at all of what rice means in the automotive world shows the general consensus is Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
And nobody cares. This country has gotten way to politically correct and soft because of all these fucking snowflakes that want to wine and cry about everything. And if they don't get their way or if you don't agree with them, they protest and destroy stuff.
Getting offended is a fad these days, primarily among people with too much free time on their hands.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
RICE has nothing to do with racism. As already pointed out, RICE is an acronym for Racing Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. It has nothing to do with race, cuisine, or even what country the car is from - despite most ricers happen to be Japanese cars (there's plenty of ricer Neon SRT4s, VDUB Golfs & Jettas, etc).[/B]

That’s an ex post facto explanation of the term probably coined to make it seemingly less offensive, but the origins of “ricer” are surly not related to “cosmetic enhancement.” “Rice” as in “rice rocket” from the late 70s and 80s and subsequent “ricer” later all come from the seed of the Oryza species of plants often associated with Asian cultures (sometimes used as a derogation). That is to say, ricer comes from rice. And the reference to rice is really a reference to people and not always in a flattering context.

I think most people who use the term have no ill will intended and I don’t think it is commonly used with racist intent (at least in motor sports communities). That is, I don’t think it’s fair to call someone a racist solely because the have used the term; it takes more than just that. I think it’s probably culturally insensitive particularly if you understand how the root word “rice” has sometimes been historically used, but that’s not the same thing as racist.

I don’t use the word to describe vehicles or people (well, except for Jerry Rice). People can call me politically correct for it, but people throwing around the “politically correct” moniker are as annoying as those who wrongly call others racist. “Politically correct” are often nothing more than a lazy person’s words used to end an argument.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
That’s an ex post facto explanation of the term probably coined to make it seemingly less offensive, but the origins of “ricer” are surly not related to “cosmetic enhancement.” “Rice” as in “rice rocket” from the late 70s and 80s and subsequent “ricer” later all come from the seed of the Oryza species of plants often associated with Asian cultures (sometimes used as a derogation). That is to say, ricer comes from rice. And the reference to rice is really a reference to people and not always in a flattering context.

I think most people who use the term have no ill will intended and I don’t think it is commonly used with racist intent (at least in motor sports communities). That is, I don’t think it’s fair to call someone a racist solely because the have used the term; it takes more than just that. I think it’s probably culturally insensitive particularly if you understand how the root word “rice” has sometimes been historically used, but that’s not the same thing as racist.

I don’t use the word to describe vehicles or people (well, except for Jerry Rice). People can call me politically correct for it, but people throwing around the “politically correct” moniker are as annoying as those who wrongly call others racist. “Politically correct” are often nothing more than a lazy person’s words used to end an argument.

QFT

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

It's fine to feel offended by something direct towards you, but if you are getting offended for someone else, that is wrong. I mean it is a pejorative, but so were a lot of word that have now been "owned" by the group it was derogatory too. For example, Punk. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/punk . I bet most people use pejorative's in their daily conversations without realizing it.

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Guess we will call them "sauerkrauters", If in a German car.

Wait! Now I am offended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Am I rice if I vinyl wrap the roof and quarter panels black?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Am I rice if I vinyl wrap the roof and quarter panels black?

Depends on how well executed it is. I assume you mean the C pillar / rear quarter panel a la R8 "side blade"? I personally like the idea a lot, but could also see it coming off a little "boy racer" or "ricey".

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

Exactly. What kind of fuckin friends do these people have???

My friends and I are like a UN council, literally from all over the place. The shit we say to each other would short circuit these people's brains. For God sakes, I greet my italian buddy at the gym "hey fascista mussulini" only to receive something much worse in return. Nobody cares, its funny, life goes on.

So what if RICE has to do with something asian. You will be hard pressed to find a single asian who gives a shit. Most of the asian dudes I know are too busy absolutely killing it in life to honestly even give 2 shits if someone called them somethimg worse to their face. You can't assume people all have low self esteem and are incapable of dealing with a racial joke. This 120lb asian kid whose riced out ride I made fun of can literally choke the life out of me....but he doesn't, he laughs, tells me to eat some male genitalia, and life goes on. Oh, my ride has been called a nazimobile by some JDM fanboys too....oh the horror!

Come on, let's all grow a pair and get back to seeing some riced out hondas please.