GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Turbo Options

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Unless it's the turbo the tune was intended for, you're going to want a custom tune.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There are lots of dynos for hybrids yet not much by the way of validated times to back them up (1/4 runs, Dragy, etc...). I see pie in the sky no way in hell dyno numbers and I see way low "this makes no sense" dyno numbers and all sorts of in between. Dyno's don't win races. I find dynos interesting, mainly to see the curve (how the turbo spools, how well it holds power out to redline).

I don't think mine is best, there are better options. But from what I've seen not impressive enough to make me switch. Once you get into these bigger hybrids you want to start recapturing the lost spool, then you start dabbling in E85, then you need full on MPI and LPFP which is $$$$. Vicious cycle.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Diggs said:
I've had great success enjoying The Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii through a WiiU on my regular modern LCD television for not a huge outlay. With the right fightstick, the experience is actually really quite rewarding.
I mean, if one enjoyed it enough and wanted to further experiment, a person could also go the more technical, potentially risky and difficult route of buying and consolizing an MVS, and then using a 161 in 1 cart of unknown aliexpress origins that may or may not have the voltage outputs set up correctly for the console's capacitors from the factory. But then, you're also needing a proper CRT, and you'll need to figure out how to calibrate it in the service menu, etc. Slippery slope, and if you're going that far, really why not just get an AES and original carts to begin with?

Also john, before you ask, No, you can't properly run your own Metal Slug port through your Game Genie on an NES, there simply aren't codes for it, and not enough buttons on the gamepad. Look, I loved playing with my game genie, and I'm more than happy to share the codes I used to use, but there's simply limits to what it can do
I got threads in my head...

Looking at the dynos of the various hybrid options, I concur that I don't see massive differences between them, outside of the regular "more hp = many more supporting mods with higher rpm spool" they all seem to blow similar amounts of air in a similar direction.

It really does seem a bit like it's just Pepsi vs Coke vs RC vs Dr Pepper to a large extent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_tqQNJWzc

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Interestingly, I contacted a place about IS38 balancing, who told me they were no longer working with them because of issues with that turbo.

I do plan (later) on getting a turbo upgrade, and, as of now, I’d likely go with the TPC20 at this point, as it seems to be a well built design, but I plan on much more research first.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Interestingly, I contacted a place about IS38 balancing, who told me they were no longer working with them because of issues with that turbo.

I do plan (later) on getting a turbo upgrade, and, as of now, I’d likely go with the TPC20 at this point, as it seems to be a well built design, but I plan on much more research first.

GPOP?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The littco 38/380 series (there's a bunch of revisions, I'm not sure which is most current) will get you is38 power (375hp-ish on pump gas) with upgraded bearings at a reasonable price and you won't be stressing the engine much (assuming a good tune) or have to get into fueling. If that aligns with your goals, I'd go that route. If that's too conservative for you, it gets a little tricky to make a good recommendation.

Littco's latest is the L380X.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, I do actually remember reading about GPOP deciding to avoid the is38s maybe a year or so back.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Me neither, just anecdotal observation of less going kaboom. Maybe less people online and in the know are tuning with them. Maybe tuners pushing them less far in general with their updated tunes. Maybe improvement in design. Maybe they stopped running the is38 manufacturing line only on Friday afternoons. Maybe they bought a really bad batch of metal that they're finally through. Maybe VW said: We're going Garrett next generation across the board if this bullshit failure rate keeps up.

Who knows, really. Always a distinct possibility that my anecdotal observations are incorrect. Blah blah the voices in my head fill in the blanks to jive with my own personal narrative, and all that.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Me neither, just anecdotal observation of less going kaboom. Maybe less people online and in the know are tuning with them. Maybe tuners pushing them less far in general with their updated tunes. Maybe improvement in design. Maybe they stopped running the is38 manufacturing line only on Friday afternoons. Maybe they bought a really bad batch of metal that they're finally through. Maybe VW said: We're going Garrett next generation across the board if this bullshit failure rate keeps up.

Who knows, really. Always a distinct possibility that my anecdotal observations are incorrect. Blah blah the voices in my head fill in the blanks to jive with my own personal narrative, and all that.

Lol this feels like the fiftieth time you've said that phrase.

I think the failure rates on IHIs have been dramatically reduced circa 10/16-1/17 and on.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I guess in a round about way I am trying to invite someone with actual stats and knowledge to correct me if I'm full of it.

It's just a little bit like Homer in the background of the Krusty the Lenny Bruce show, shouting "Hey Krusty, don't you hate pants?!?"

Looking for either affirmation or vicious Catholicism level correction.

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I guess in a round about way I am trying to invite someone with actual stats and knowledge to correct me if I'm full of it.

It's just a little bit like Homer in the background of the Krusty the Lenny Bruce show, shouting "Hey Krusty, don't you hate pants?!?"

Looking for either affirmation or vicious Catholicism level correction.

Lol you are awesome :D

one0

Car(s)
GTI S
i'll recommend the turbopartscanada.com TPC20. It's an is20 based turbo that uses a td06 bearing section, which is super reliable. The turbo is sized well enough to make decent ( 430whp at 28-29 psi on 94 pump gas), is reliable and is reasonably priced.
I recommend this turbo because of it's CHRA ( bearing section). Other hybrids out there may make more power but use a modded oem bearing section ( which is garbage). IIn my eyes and turbo not using an IHI chra is always the best choice.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these soon just based on my research. It hits my power goal of 425ish and, since I did an IS38 swap a few months back, I have an is20 sitting on the shelf to send in as a core for no downtime.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these soon just based on my research. It hits my power goal of 425ish and, since I did an IS38 swap a few months back, I have an is20 sitting on the shelf to send in as a core for no downtime.

Where in MD? Interested in selling?