GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R DSG 21k miles - $44,000??

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
What did you pay in 2019 if you don't mind me asking?

I bought it new in April 2020. Back of napkin math I think I was at like 43800 including tax title fees but before the tire and wheel protection package which I think was an extra grand. They screwed up the taxes and stuff so my loan amount is for more but they sent me a check for 1500 bucks that I didnt put towards the principal since I had a 0% loan.

That's the only thing that sucks, never gonna get 0% on a Golf R ever again.

Last edited:

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Wow, I know the market is up, but still wow. I'd believe you won't get a new MK8R for under $50K.

Some absolutely will. Its going to depend on dealer management. This market can't be sustainable long term. I get that there is a bit of a race to acquire inventory right now, but they have holding costs and I can't imagine my car is going to fly off carmax's lot when they price it at 46.5 or whatever they're going to need to do to make a profit.

There are 438 used MK7.5 Rs on cars.com right now. They aren't exactly scarce. If you bump that up to all Mk7 years there are just under 1000. There are 258 priced at 40,000 and above.

My opinion is there is a special place in hell for dealers that mark them up. Most Rs, especially early ones, are purchased by the fanboys who evangelize the brand. I paid a very small markup on my 2016 R. One of the first manuals in the states and it was a mistake. It cost that dealer way more than the markup in lost sales from referrals they would have gotten from me. Between friends and co-workers I've probably talked about a dozen people into GTIs or GLIs in the past few years. I told everyone to go to any dealer but the one I purchased mine from.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I bought it new in April 2020. Back of napkin math I think I was at like 43800 including tax title fees but before the tire and wheel protection package which I think was an extra grand. They screwed up the taxes and stuff so my loan amount is for more but they sent me a check for 1500 bucks that I didnt put towards the principal since I had a 0% loan.

That's the only thing that sucks, never gonna get 0% on a Golf R ever again.
So is it gonna go to Carmax for the $43k offer?

You should be able to cancel the tire & wheel protection and get a prorated amount back btw...food for thought

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
So is it gonna go to Carmax for the $43k offer?

You should be able to cancel the tire & wheel protection and get a prorated amount back btw...food for thought

I already used $650 worth of it so not sure how much I’d get back. I think it was 3500 or so in coverage. Probably not worth the hassle.

ill refresh vroom this weekend but I can’t see them beating it by enough for it to be worse the hassle vs just letting carmax pay me on the spot

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
For reference.

1636155786640.png

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Lol.

Were you able to negotiate with Carmax at all? How did you get the number up?

No negotiation. I don’t think youre supposed to talk to the appraiser but I walked over when he grabbed the car and explained I was returning the car completely to stock this weekend and that the ecu wasn’t tuned. And I would have waited to bring it in but I had a vroom offer about to expire and I wanted to give them a chance to beat it first. That’s why there’s a note about returning the car to stock. Because I called it out lol.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
No negotiation. I don’t think youre supposed to talk to the appraiser but I walked over when he grabbed the car and explained I was returning the car completely to stock this weekend and that the ecu wasn’t tuned. And I would have waited to bring it in but I had a vroom offer about to expire and I wanted to give them a chance to beat it first. That’s why there’s a note about returning the car to stock. Because I called it out lol.
I still think near 40k is a good deal right now for a car that has almost 28xxx miles on it.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
it’s a great deal. Weird times. Hope we’re back to normal soon.
So is there something wrong with your car you are getting rid of it? I mean it has tons of life left and you won't get a new one for that price right now.
So in the end you are spending more for a new car?