GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R DSG 21k miles - $44,000??

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
And if you don't sell it now, you will most likely end up in the exact same situation, just with a car that's worth a lot less money.

This kind of sums up where I'm at. Even though I don't want to sell I'm just going to sit here essentially not driving it and watch it depreciate. Worst case I'm letting someone else take the depreciation hit that is eventually going to come and I can always get back in when the values drop and its a much better value proposition. I lose the benefit of knowing the vehicles history, and I'll lose the 0% interest rate I have, but thats more than offset by the savings. Black Golf Rs are not exactly rare.

Sorry OP for the thread jack.

to make myself feel better about the numbers:

And to make myself feel better. The napkin financials basically work out as:

If I sell and replace in may 2023:
-37978 payoff leaves me with $3275 in equity
-750 savings monthly between payment and insurance puts and additional 17507 in my pocket if I wait til May 2023 to replace it (only one year carless since I store the car November-April/May anyway)
-$17507 to play with in May before borrowing a penny and assuming I don't invest the savings.
-Buy used 7R for 30k, maybe less.
-Own mk7 or 7.5 R and owe ~14k with much lower monthly payments

-or buy used mk8 r *assume 40k?
-Own MK8R and owe ~25k with similar monthly

If I keep it:
- Currently owe 37978
- 643 a month car note, 19 months of payments.
-Situation in May 2023, Own mk7.5 R and owe $25,761 + net loss of additional ~2000 in insurance costs.

Yea, keeping it would be dumb.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I put my car into vroom yesterday and did not expect to be getting a phone call lol

That must be a miserable job. Calling everybody that just wanted a price check and had no intention of selling...

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I put my car into vroom yesterday and did not expect to be getting a phone call lol

That must be a miserable job. Calling everybody that just wanted a price check and had no intention of selling...

What'd they offer, and did you include the mods or price it as stock? Trying to track vrooms pricing to know if i should gamble and let it expire in the hopes the offer went up.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
What'd they offer, and did you include the mods or price it as stock? Trying to track vrooms pricing to know if i should gamble and let it expire in the hopes the offer went up.
It was $38.6k. I didn't include any mods as I still have all my stock stuff. About 18k miles on the car and I picked excellent condition for all the options.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
It was $38.6k. I didn't include any mods as I still have all my stock stuff. About 18k miles on the car and I picked excellent condition for all the options.

Strange they called you. I've had vroom quote me 3 or 4 times since June and they'e never called. Ditto for Carmax. My local dealer calls a bunch. Finally let them have a bite at the apple and they originally quoted me 35, then 37, then 40 and they'd do the part swap for me. All the while bashing vroom and saying vroom would ultimately pay me far less. Final straw was when they pulled out the current auction prices for "comps". Showed me 4 cars, all manual Rs (mines a DSG) with mileage ranging from 12000 to 24000 miles (mine has 8100) and the car w 26000 went for 39 at auction.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
I might be getting some heat for this but I'd never pay over original MSRP for a car that is essentially a used Golf that is going on 3+ years old. The crazy thing is that people are paying these prices or dealers wouldn't charge them. I'd delay gratification and buy once things normalize again.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
You quoted me, not the OP.

A post-Covid used car purchase vs a new car pre-Covid purchase - apples to oranges.

You quoted me, told me apple to oranges. That's why I quoted you.

A post-Covid car will have miles and cost more than they did off the lot 2+ years ago. That's why I gave my example.

A 2 year old car with wear and tear, miles, potential issues, mystery maintenance. Then it costs more? In my case, $5.5k more. Wowzers.

I'd take the new car.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I might be getting some heat for this but I'd never pay over original MSRP for a car that is essentially a used Golf that is going on 3+ years old. The crazy thing is that people are paying these prices or dealers wouldn't charge them. I'd delay gratification and buy once things normalize again.

I agree. Paying 44k for a Golf is bonkers to begin with. I was uncomfortable with how much I payed in 2019, but just loved the car so much. Had to have it.

I would NEVER pay these used car prices. I gave the RS3 example earlier. People are asking 70k. That's a down payment on a house.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
I agree. Paying 44k for a Golf is bonkers to begin with. I was uncomfortable with how much I payed in 2019, but just loved the car so much. Had to have it.

I would NEVER pay these used car prices. I gave the RS3 example earlier. People are asking 70k. That's a down payment on a house.

Agreed but again unfortunately people are paying these prices instead of saying 'hell no' and walking away. A good example is a recently promoted colleague that reports up to me who bought a brand new Telluride for 57k because he wanted the gadgets but still rents a place and complains that he can't save enough for a down payment.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
You quoted me, told me apple to oranges. That's why I quoted you.

A post-Covid car will have miles and cost more than they did off the lot 2+ years ago. That's why I gave my example.

A 2 year old car with wear and tear, miles, potential issues, mystery maintenance. Then it costs more? In my case, $5.5k more. Wowzers.

I'd take the new car.

Everyone would take the new car. But, unless you have a time machine you can’t buy the new one at this point. That’s why this market is where it is. Lack of new inventory. Not just of the R, but of everything.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Guess my point is get on the list and wait for the MK8 R. You are paying marginally more in the grand scheme for a brand new car. Unless you absolutely need a car right now for transportation purposes, it's a sellers market. I'd be looking at something cheaper just to drive. Special edition cars that tend to already hold their value decently well is the last place I'd be looking in today's used market.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I've seen at least a couple claims on reddit from people saying their dealer told them they would honor msrp if you had a deposit on one. We'll see when the cars actually arrive though. Seems like that might be about Feb/March, but might be a few arriving in Nov too. A lot of them are getting delayed to next year.