GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R DSG 21k miles - $44,000??

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
So is there something wrong with your car you are getting rid of it? I mean it has tons of life left and you won't get a new one for that price right now.
So in the end you are spending more for a new car?

nothing wrong with it. I’m not replacing it with anything. My wife and I both work from home and she has an suv that is much better for city driving than the R. I’m pulling about 5000 in equity out and saving 9000 a year in payments and insurance. The money is better spent elsewhere or invested than going into a soon to be depreciating asset that I don’t use.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Interestingly Enough, yesterday I received (pending inspection) an offer of 39-42k for my 18 R from carmax. I only owe 29k on it. Of course I wouldnt dare sell my lil pocket rocket, well until i found a 2020 Gladiator Overland with a winch and 35x12.5 tires. When the dust settles i could be out the door for the same payment. Should I really go to the dark side?!?!?🤔

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Interestingly Enough, yesterday I received (pending inspection) an offer of 39-42k for my 18 R from carmax. I only owe 29k on it. Of course I wouldnt dare sell my lil pocket rocket, well until i found a 2020 Gladiator Overland with a winch and 35x12.5 tires. When the dust settles i could be out the door for the same payment. Should I really go to the dark side?!?!?🤔

The prices for everything are higher than normal. The difference between the gladiator and the R is probably not that far off from what it'd normally be. Except now the R is worth more and so is the jeep.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The good thing is I am looking at roughly 10 to 12k in equity in the R, the bad is the jeep is listed at 5k over msrp with 20k miles on it. I have an appointment with the dealership friday to see what deal we can make. Probably going to keep the R, but it's nice having options.
The prices for everything are higher than normal. The difference between the gladiator and the R is probably not that far off from what it'd normally be. Except now the R is worth more and so is the jeep.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
The good thing is I am looking at roughly 10 to 12k in equity in the R, the bad is the jeep is listed at 5k over msrp with 20k miles on it. I have an appointment with the dealership friday to see what deal we can make. Probably going to keep the R, but it's nice having options.

But unless you're cashing out that equity and waiting for the market to come down the additional cash you pull out of the R because the trade in is higher than normal is eaten/offset by the inflated price you pay for the Jeep. The extra equity is fools gold if you're turning around and putting it back into an over valued asset.

If the offer for your R was 29-32 instead of 39-42 and the Jeep was also ~10 grand less, than you'd be in more or less the same situation once the deal was complete. If you want it buy it, but it doesn't make more sense now than it would in a normal market is what I'm saying.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you want it buy it, but it doesn't make more sense now than it would in a normal market is what I'm saying.

Yup. Getting above average for your trade in is cancelled out if you're immediately paying above average for a new vehicle.

My wife says the same thing about our house. "Our house is valued $100k more now than when we bought it! We should sell!"

And what? Buy another house that's overpriced by $100k, negating that entire point? Even worse so since we'd be paying closing costs over again?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Yup. Getting above average for your trade in is cancelled out if you're immediately paying above average for a new vehicle.

My wife says the same thing about our house. "Our house is valued $100k more now than when we bought it! We should sell!"

And what? Buy another house that's overpriced by $100k, negating that entire point? Even worse so since we'd be paying closing costs over again?

yup. have that discussion with my wife too. Redfin says our house is worth 350k more than we paid for it in early 2020, but there is nothing on the market at our previous purchase price she’d be willing to sell this and move for. Plus all the headaches.

Great time to sell an investment/rental/second property if you have one though. Just like it’s a great time to unload unused cars, bikes, boats, guitars, children.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just like it’s a great time to unload unused cars, bikes, boats, guitars, children.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
This was my offer with 8800 miles ....$44K is about right considering what they are paying. I had a IS38 GTI 2 years ago, that I traded in for a B9 S4. That lasted all of 3 months before I traded it in for a 7.5R. I'm so much happier in the R that being upside down was ok. With this offer, I was like let me get something cheaper, and then seeing Accords going for 3-8K over MSRP, I was like nope. I'll keep my hatch and be much happier. I will not get a discounted R at 0% again.

1637018498203.png

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
This was my offer with 8800 miles ....$44K is about right considering what they are paying. I had a IS38 GTI 2 years ago, that I traded in for a B9 S4. That lasted all of 3 months before I traded it in for a 7.5R. I'm so much happier in the R that being upside down was ok. With this offer, I was like let me get something cheaper, and then seeing Accords going for 3-8K over MSRP, I was like nope. I'll keep my hatch and be much happier. I will not get a discounted R at 0% again.

View attachment 230593
Woah...

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
Good luck man - I have a Mojave Gladiator and my R - Perfect combo :cool:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have a 79 Cherokee chief And my R currently . The dealership jacked to price up to 52k before I could get to my appointment , so I decided to keep the R. The Cherokee is getting an ls swap in the spring, so that should ease the reliable jeep itch for now. Lol.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Nuts. Things only seem to be getting worse. Not sure how much longer this is going to last. I feel bad for anyone who absolutely needs to buy a car right now.