GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

arko

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTI
I
Error device looks like the disc player is broken... will it play radio, or Bluetooth from your phone?

If there was an amp problem, the CD should still show as "playing" even with no sound. That is not to say for sure your amp is okay. But I suspect your CD player is not okay.
It happens exactly the same when I try to play music from my phone through Bluetooth. Sometimes an error is different but I don’t remember the message. And yeah, sometimes it’s playing music but there’s no sound.

Drewpul

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2015 tdi sportwagen s. No Fender audio.

Thanks for the super helpful tutorial! Can't wait to upgrade.

Can i still use my existing smaller screen with the MIB2 glovebox unit?

Jimal

Car(s)
2015 GTI 2-door
Just did a quick component test to see if everything works as it should. Obviously no sound with CP active, but everything seems to function as advertised, vis-a-vis CarPlay. No bad pixels or other problems with the display. I have some coding to do to replace the Atlas with a GTI. Time to get on one of the cable/dongle rental lists and arrange for some coding.

IMG_5852.jpeg
IMG_5851.jpeg
IMG_5850.jpeg

Jimal

Car(s)
2015 GTI 2-door
Job done. I rented the whole kit from @brownnugen. I chatted with @simaservis1108 last week, so I was ready when it arrived on Saturday. After a couple minor glitches on my end (I think the version of TeamPlayer I installed was newer than what he was using, which caused some confusion, as was on of my SD cards being a bit finicky) he took care of business and I'm up and running with MIB 2 and CarPlay

One question I have after everything is done. Since I replaced the MMI port in the cubby with a USB/3.5mm jack, do I need to connect to that jack in order to play music from my phone? Because if I do, I think I have one of those adapters laying around.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
If you are connected with carplay, you can play music that way. If you are using aux then yeah you can do it that way or bluetooth.

shookusa

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Hoping that this thread isn't dead. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 2015 Golf R with Fender audio. It has the MIB 1 system. I am now at the point where I would like to upgrade to the MIB2 Brain and 8" Glass Display. After reading through all 102 pages of this thread I just would like to have confirmation of all of the parts I am looking at obtaining are correct and/or if there is a better more update part number/option I should consider instead.

Brain: 3G0035047A (I believe this is a NAR Discover Pro brain)
Screen: 5G6919605D
USB/3.5mm Module: 5G0035222E
Bezel: 5GM819728 (Not genuine VW, but a heck of a lot cheaper and I don't need the new vents I believe)

I am still a bit unsure if I will need a newer amp due to mine being a 2015, if so I understand that it is part number 5Q0035456A.

I also understand I will neeed the ethernet adapter and 5045a tool, that I hope to rent from @brownnugen and then have @simaservis1108 do the CP removal and coding. I have a windows PC and a VAGCOM tool as well if needed.

Any confirmation of this post would be appreciated! Thank you!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@shookusa That is a Discover Pro unit. Your car (assuming it's a US spec car) does not have Discover Pro right now, it will have Discover Navigation (I'm assuming your R has nav)
You could go with a Discover Navigation MIB II unit and maybe save some money unless you really want Disco Pro... part number 3Q0035876A works, though there are others.
(Prices are all over the place though, may not be any cheaper than the Discover Pro unit)

Screen part number is right. USB part number is right but you also need the harness, most do AliExpress for harness and USB without issue.
But you could do EZT for some more money and faster shipping (harness only). You can get the USB port for much cheaper elsewhere.

That is the right part number for the bezel but it's not a complete part number. The complete part number will also specify color. The full deal would include vents.
But you could grab one of the AliExpress faceplates only and transfer your vents. (unless you care deeply about potentially broken clips, although they won't impact anything, haha)

Your existing amp will work with MIB 2. It will not work with MIB 2.5 but that's not what you're looking at anyway.

shookusa

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
@Cuzoe First, you are legend for the fast reply.

My thought was to go with the Discover Pro unit for two reasons. 1) I would like to retain NAV (understand that Discover NAV MIB II could do this as well) 2)I it is my understanding that if I were to go to a digital dash later on that Discover Pro will allow for (factory) navigation to show in the digital dash.

I understand I need the harness with the module, so thank you for clarifying that as I was not specific. The one I found on ebay is the module and harness for $59.50.

The bezel is the "F" model (Piano/Gloss Black) so I feel confident that it is correct and will match fine. I feel confident I can carefully move the vents over. I did the P3 Gauge so I know how fragile they can be.

Good to know about the amp. Thank you so much!

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
If you plan to do the digital dash, do it all at once so you can do the rental and programming in one go instead of paying twice.

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
@Cuzoe First, you are legend for the fast reply.

My thought was to go with the Discover Pro unit for two reasons. 1) I would like to retain NAV (understand that Discover NAV MIB II could do this as well) 2)I it is my understanding that if I were to go to a digital dash later on that Discover Pro will allow for (factory) navigation to show in the digital dash.

I understand I need the harness with the module, so thank you for clarifying that as I was not specific. The one I found on ebay is the module and harness for $59.50.

The bezel is the "F" model (Piano/Gloss Black) so I feel confident that it is correct and will match fine. I feel confident I can carefully move the vents over. I did the P3 Gauge so I know how fragile they can be.

Good to know about the amp. Thank you so much!
To my understanding, the 8XX part numbers are non Pro parts while 0XX part numbers are Discover Pro. NAR Discover Pro found in the eGolf and 2017 CDN golf R should be 3Q0035047#. It's not that the Discover Media can't show NAV in the AID, it's just you can't see NAV in BOTH the AID and main screen at the same time. The Pro however can do so. I think I saw somewhere that the NAR MIB2.5 Discover Pro part number is 5NA035026E, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If having NAV on both the AID and main screen along with having SiriusXM is a must, those are the only part numbers you have available. Getting them used will be... challenging. @rrador seems to have a good source for them.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@madwazzabi is correct with regard to the part numbers for Pro vs non Pro and about maps in both AID and Infotainment at the same time. Non-pro is capable of showing in either place while Pro can show in both places simultaneously. Most people moving up from MIB I are planning to run AA/Carplay so that will be on the main screen while factory nav is on the AID.

And yes if you want an NAR spec MIB 2.5 (which comes as Pro only) and uses the 9.2" glass screen that part number is 5NA035026x. They have gone up in price since I bought mine, but back then the 026D was over $500 less than the 026E and the only difference was later software. I don't know what you'll find out there now (if you're even looking) but don't concern yourself with getting 026E over 026D.

shookusa

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Thank you all for the insight. I am really looking to move up from MIB1 and gain CarPlay. The 9.2in screen would be amazing but trying to retain SiriusXM takes the hacked Euro units out of play for me. So finding the MIB2 NAR Discover Pro brain at a reasonable price $350 made sense to me. ANYTHING will be nicer than the 5.6” screen I have had since 2015. Biggest downside of that 2015 US spec IMO was the MIB1. Have been envious of all the 2016+ cars.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Pro for $350 sounds like an okay deal (given I'm out of the market, haha). When I got MIB 2 Navigation (but non-Pro) the Pro units were in that range. But non-Pro Navigation units could be had for under $150 so that's what I went with.

At that time you could get the non-Pro Nav, a screen, USB/harness and trim all for less than the price of a Discover Pro unit. Even though I've rarely kept an XM subscription I couldn't live with not having the option so the EU units were always out of the question. At the times when I've had the subscription it's just been so I could get traffic info.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
To my understanding, the 8XX part numbers are non Pro parts while 0XX part numbers are Discover Pro. NAR Discover Pro found in the eGolf and 2017 CDN golf R should be 3Q0035047#. It's not that the Discover Media can't show NAV in the AID, it's just you can't see NAV in BOTH the AID and main screen at the same time. The Pro however can do so. I think I saw somewhere that the NAR MIB2.5 Discover Pro part number is 5NA035026E, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If having NAV on both the AID and main screen along with having SiriusXM is a must, those are the only part numbers you have available. Getting them used will be... challenging. @rrador seems to have a good source for them.
I can confirm this. I met up with @rrador last year and discussed this at length. I installed a Pro unit (3G0 035 047) from him for this reason.