GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Didn't realize you hadn't driven the car yet, haha. You'll get steering/esc related faults anytime the battery is disconnected and/or from disconnecting some modules. Sometimes they will clear by turning the wheel lock to lock. Other times just drive around the block and they'll usually clear within a few yards of driving.

There's no way to get to driving modes except by pressing the mode button beside the shifter. Check here to see if your coding is right...
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...lection-retrofit-possible.316747/post-7575669
If your coding is good it could still be a parameter issue.

About the 5F parameters for the sound quality... keep in mind the same units are used across the VAG line. So that's cars with different number of speakers of different sizes and in different locations. The stock system isn't super high fidelity but it does need to be matched to the car configuration to even sound decent.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Didn't realize you hadn't driven the car yet, haha.
Thanks for this info, I'm hoping the sound can be re-coded to match. Might not be an issue.
Also, thanks for that driving mode link as well, I will pass this onto the individual who helped with this coding. I hadn't changed mine in so long I forgot it was with the button on the console rather than the menu. However, when I press the button nothing comes up so it's most likely the issue discussed in your link.

Another question however, the link mentions Content Protection removal, my OBD11 is getting codes for Content Protection being active, but everything 'works'.. I think. Maybe it wasn't coded 100% cleanly?
Much appreciated🙏🙏🙏

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-161049.png
    Screenshot_20221009-161049.png
    719.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20221009-161301.png
    Screenshot_20221009-161301.png
    814.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20221009-161330.png
    Screenshot_20221009-161330.png
    609.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20221009-161342.png
    Screenshot_20221009-161342.png
    608.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20221009-161350.png
    Screenshot_20221009-161350.png
    633.4 KB · Views: 145

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
Question regarding this, I actually met @rrador in person and picked up my 3G0 035 047 unit for my 2015 MIB1 Autobahn with no Fender audio (shout out to @rrador btw really great guy). Installed it this weekend with a handfull of faults, and the audio sounds way worse than my stock headunit. I sent him the questions and we're working on it Tuesday (ECS modes and tire pressure sensors don't work either). Do you possibly have any advise on maximizing the compatability to regain the audio quality? Either something I'm missing or maybe just a coding tweak. OBD11 codes also throwing component protection, did you run into this problem with his unit? Thanks in advance.

Edit; made a post in the build thread with info.
Unfortunately I've never had to make any changes associated to the audio output directly from the MIB2 unit. I had the MIB1 Fender Amp which then had to be replaced with the MIB2 Fender Amp and assume that since both headunits were expecting amps sound settings would have been very similar and not need much tweaking during installation. I'm not sure if any Discover Pro equipped vehicles were ever spec'd without an amp and if so hopefully a forum user with such a configuration could share their parameters with you. I fathom that revising parameters is the only way to go as the other option would be to add an amp but then you'd have to do a whole bunch of new wiring to get all the audio to under the driver seat.

I had simaservis1108 do his remote program when I went through with installation which he would have sorted out anything to do with CP and associating everything to your VIN. I highly recommend him just for saving time on all the parameters you need to change.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No worries... getting the Driving Modes to show up when the button is pressed has to with adaptations and parameters.

If you have Fender the parameters probably don't matter for your sound quality. The audio is sent via MOST (fiber optic) to the Fender amp, which does all the speaker things. The parameters matter if you're using the MIB's internal amp. I have Discover Pro without fender (MIB 2.5, 5NA 035 026 D). Sound was not-great until parameters were loaded.

Many "plug and play" units, if that's what you have, will have the component protection fault show forever. The software has been modified to ignore that fault. Component protection is not a coding issue. If you have modified software that ignores component protection, you do not want to run the component protection adapting that would "mate" a non-modified unit to your car. I don't have any experience, but I've read it could lead to a non-working (but recoverable) unit at best, or a bricked unit at worst.

On a non-modified unit having component protection active restricts features, most importantly speaker output is disabled.

jibberjive

Car(s)
MK7
NEED HELP! MIB2 retrofit with Delphi unit into 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S NAR. I’ve tried everything and can’t get past “Network error: Connection timed out” when trying to connect to the headunit via telnet. Details of my hardware and video of my process below.

Video of my process:

This is the killer error:

This is the guide that I am using for the most part:
https://www.digital-eliteboard.com/..._eu_vw_xxxxxd-patchen-fec-swap-cid-cp.495796/

My Process:
First I enabled the green engineering menu on the unit. Then I updated the firmware from P0628D to P0635D.

--ORIGINAL SOFTWARE--
Part Number 3Q0035844A
Installed Software Train Version MST2_US_VW_P0628D
Installed Software MU Version 0751
Software Version H28.28.133_STD2Plus_NAR

--UPDATED SOFTWARE--
Installed Software Train Version MST2_US_VW_P0635D
Installed Software MU Version 0757
Software Version H28.28.197_STD2Plus_NAR

After the firmware update, I then removed the software version management error using a genuine vagcom cable and VCDS, with the XOR calculator to figure out the new value https://www.digital-eliteboard.com/resources/x-o-r-echner-by-xtr3m3.5770/

For the USB-ethernet adapter, I researched and found a genuine D-link Dub-E100 Rev. D1G, which has the correct VID/PID of (0x2001, 0x1a02). I set the static IP address for the adapter’s TCP/IPv4 in Windows to 192.168.1.10, and Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0. I go into the green engineering menu>debugging mlp and activated “Ethernet,” rebooted and activated “Switch to MLP.” I then plug the adapter into the car’s USB port, and then the other side of the ethernet cable into my computer. When connected, the green and orange lights on the adapter stay solid, and on the headunit the MU ip address populates to: 192.168.1.4. I open PuTTY and put the address to 192.168.1.4, port 23, telnet and click open. The putty screen pops up with the correct ip address listed at the top, but it never connects, and after 10 seconds the “Network error: Connection timed out” error pops up. See first link in this post to watch me try this process.

I have tried every combination/permutation of everything that I can think of to try to troubleshoot it. Things I’ve tried:
- Different laptop
- Different ethernet
- Different USB adapter. I bought the UGreen one and modified the binary and tried that adapter with most of the VID/PID’s listed in this video’s description. Same network timeout error.
- Downloaded different versions of PuTTY
- Car running/car off
- SD card in headunit/out of headunit
- Changed VCDS longcoding on the headunit 5F byte 19 from “USB & iPhone Functionality [PR-UI2/UI4]” to “USB Functionality [PR-UE4],” since the USB port I got is part # 5G0 035 222 F, and this wiki suggests that it is UE4 http://wiki.mr-fix.info/index.php?title=MIB2#USB_ports

I’m not sure what else to try. I thought maybe I screwed something up in the firmware update that blocked the telnet, so I was going to downgrade to the original firmware and see if I could connect, but I can’t find a stock version of my original firmware (or any 06XX USA firmware, other than the 0635) for download anywhere. I thought maybe the USA version of 0635 has the telnet disabled, like how the firmware versions 0876 and 0879 do. Though I have definitely seen people report that they have patched the EU version of 0635.

If some of you could review my process in the first video link and tell me if there is a flaw in my process, or if any of you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated! I’ve literally spent 10’s of hours over the span of like 3 weeks trying to troubleshoot this.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I had simaservis1108 do his remote program when I went through with installation which he would have sorted out anything to do with CP and associating everything to your VIN. I highly recommend him just for saving time on all the parameters you need to change.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I had an individual source the unit and do the coding already. I'm realizing they used the 'hacking' method rather than a clean remote program, since component protection codes are being thrown but everything works. I resurrected driving modes last night, everything else seems to work but I'm still struggling with the sound quality. I'm visiting the coder this weekend to 'try different audio datasets' as they put it, and they insisted they don't need my old unit to look at previous settings.. but I'll bring it anyway for them to take a look.

Hopefully this method doesn't bite me in the ass later. So far it's been an 'ok' experience, save for the sound quality. MIB 2 is such a huge upgrade with Android Auto alone that it's already been worth it.

Big 'ol EDIT - The wrong dataset for audio was loaded. We tried other datasets for 2-door and now the audio quality is clear, crisp and bassy as before (stock sound system, no Fender audio.) For the amount of money saved going this route, the minor tweaks I've had to do to get it to 100% functionality definitely don't outweigh the huge QOL upgrade.

Last edited:

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I've just fitted an aftermarket amp/sub and would like to use a 12V remote on from the MIB2 unit that only fires up when the MIB turns on. Does anyone know of a pin that would be good for this?

Thx

Last edited:

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Just FYI, the 8" glass screen bezel in brushed aluminum is available on aliexpress now. I've ordered one ($31), and once it arrives I'll let you all know if it matches and looks ok. I'll still have to source a screen, but it seems they've really dropped in price as most VWs use them now.

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
I am at my wits end with my mib2 conversion. It's a technisat unit from a 2016. I use the MOST connection to interface with a nav-tv zen v optical.

Regularly the main unit requires restarting by holding the power button down, because it will not play audio or have any volume.

I've been told this unit cannot be updated further. Should i try a harman unit or different mib2 main unit?

I'm debating ditching mib infotainment all together at this point and using a sony 9500 es unit

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1667422351774.jpg
    FB_IMG_1667422351774.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 67

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've been told this unit cannot be updated further. Should i try a harman unit or different mib2 main unit?
I'm not a technical wiz but I've had zero problems with the Harmon NAR unit I used for my retrofit. Where did you get your Technisat unit and who programmed it? What audio system is it trying to communicate with?

I dumped OBD11 screenshots in my build thread for a non-fender GTI, so maybe those might help, but it won't help if you have a MOST connection. However if you dig through my comment history there are others who've responded to threads of the audio not working for all types.

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
I'm not a technical wiz but I've had zero problems with the Harmon NAR unit I used for my retrofit. Where did you get your Technisat unit and who programmed it? What audio system is it trying to communicate with?

I dumped OBD11 screenshots in my build thread for a non-fender GTI, so maybe those might help, but it won't help if you have a MOST connection. However if you dig through my comment history there are others who've responded to threads of the audio not working for all types.
I used a screen and main unit from a 2016 gti. I'm guessing because of it's inability to be updated, that its an earlier version. My unit was programmed by simaservis and he was the one that originally told me it could not have it's software updated further.

I want to think upgrading the main unit would solve my problems, but I also read about others having to restart to make the audio work here and there all across the MY range. So the idea of dropping more money in the infinite hole has got me considering other paths

I use the MOST150 output from the main unit to a NAVTV ZENV converter, and that feeds a helix dsp.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I used a screen and main unit from a 2016 gti. I'm guessing because of it's inability to be updated, that its an earlier version. My unit was programmed by simaservis and he was the one that originally told me it could not have it's software updated further.

I want to think upgrading the main unit would solve my problems, but I also read about others having to restart to make the audio work here and there all across the MY range. So the idea of dropping more money in the infinite hole has got me considering other paths

I use the MOST150 output from the main unit to a NAVTV ZENV converter, and that feeds a helix dsp.
Yeah, my headunit came out of a 2016/17 golf R. It's a Discover Pro unit 3G0 035 047 (not Discover Media) and I don't use MOST because it's a base sound system so I haven't ran into any of these problems, has honestly been working flawlessly. Been thinking about adding a Helix sub as well but not sure if it would introduce these problems you're having. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Just FYI, the 8" glass screen bezel in brushed aluminum is available on aliexpress now. I've ordered one ($31), and once it arrives I'll let you all know if it matches and looks ok. I'll still have to source a screen, but it seems they've really dropped in price as most VWs use them now.
The bezel has arrived, and it matches better than the dark gray or piano black, but it's still a couple of shades darker than the original. Still, I think it's going to work decently. When I get a screen and install it, I'll upload some pics so people can make up their own minds.

It looks like us Golf owners will have a proper bezel to use with the 8" screen, finally.

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
I just received my 8" glass screen from ebay ($165) and used my aliexpress chinesium bezel on it. It's slightly darker, but with the improvement in the screen, I can live with that.
IMG_4082.jpeg